It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellow journalism a threat to democracy .

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

You aren’t being truthful right now. Because you know damn good and well what I’m talking about .

Washington post is keeping count of trumps lies since taking office. As of now it’s over 12,000. It’s wildly in accurate and a perfect example of yellow journalism .

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Have you reviewed all 12,000 and verified the facts?

If not, tsk tsk. You may be a "yellow journalist."

What was it you quoted in your OP?

... headlines in huge print that were meant to scare people, often of news that wasn't very important

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Have you reviewed all 12,000 and verified the facts?

Why would a person have to read all 12,000?

What is the acceptable number of inaccuracy before we can ligimatly suspect a news organization of being untrustworthy?

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I’ve got another example

Did you really think Trump was going to shoot someone on fifth Avenue ?

Wait I’ve got another !

Did you believe CNN when they said it was illegal to look at wikileak ?

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

I'd say it's a judgement call, but if I were trying to make an argument damning the Press for not being truthful and calling for something to be done by the Government to stop that, I wouldn't repeatedly present my unfounded opinion as fact.

What do you think the number is? Further, is it true if you like it and false if you don't?

Because honestly, that seems to be the measure of truth and "fake news" in 99% of these posts (estimated.)
edit on 21-10-2019 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

I’ve got another example

Wait I’ve got another !

Did you believe CNN when they said it was illegal to look at wikileak ?

Trump made that comment; ask him.

Quote what you're talking about from CNN, I'm not sure I trust your journalistic integrity at this point.
edit on 21-10-2019 by Gryphon66 because: Formatting.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I knew you were going to say that . Lol

I didn’t review them all but I reviewed enough to prove my point that it’s completely inaccurate .

That that count that’s been running for years has all the signs of yellow journalism. Shocking headlines, exaggerated claims , news that isn’t important , false information .........

Yellow journalism

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I’ve given you three or four example so far.

Let’s see yours.

I can go to other sites pick up articles I debunked and do this all night .

I want to tell you something about me right now. I can almost always back up my positions .

If I can’t I’ll admit it and if I’m wrong I’ll admit it.

That way I sleep soundly at night and don’t have any ulcers .

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Why don't you give us some examples?

What list are you talking about at WaPo, what items on the list are lies in your estimation, and what source of truth are you using to dispute it?

Here's the thing Fallingdown. You're talking about your opinions here in this thread not facts. It is your opinion that the media sources you don't like are purveying yellow journalism. It's not facts because you haven't proven a single claim as of yet.

Bo had a great set of suggestions earlier. Why don't we stop tacitly suggesting that the government "should do something" and just think for ourselves? If you read the Post and think it's lies about lies, then that's all you need.

Because someone else is going to read the same things and find them true.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   

You've given me more opinions, not facts.

How about this for a fact:

You claimed above that the Washingon Post is keeping a running list of Trump's lies. Well, that's not altogether true, is it?

WaPo

As of Oct. 9, his 993rd day in office, he had made 13,435 false or misleading claims, according to the Fact Checker’s database that analyzes, categorizes and tracks every suspect statement he has uttered.

See the problem in your claim?

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I'd say it's a judgement call, but if I were trying to make an argument damning the Press for not being truthful and calling for something to be done by the Government to stop that, I wouldn't repeatedly present my unfounded opinion as fact.

What do you think the number is? Further, is it true if you like it and false if you don't?

Because honestly, that seems to be the measure of truth and "fake news" in 99% of these posts (estimated.)

In the case of the WAPO fact check website; my judgment call is that if the writers don't know the simply diffrence between statements of opinion and statements of fact; and that you can't fact check opinions; than they shouldn't be in the "fact check" business.

And that's where the meet of the "Fake News" mantra comes from. Yes people like Trump. Pelosi and their followers use "Fake News" as means to ignoring stories they don't like ... but the news industry has definitely opened themselves up for the critisum. Personal I think its over money rather than politics; but the results are the same.

One only need to look at how they report on apolitical topics such as the whether to see just how distorted their coverage can be. We have at least one, often two or three, big snow storms in my area a year and we are by and large prepared for them because they are so predictable; but every year the news media has people in a panic over them. Grocery stores selling out of water and gas stations running out of gas level panic. Can you call their coverage "fake news"? It does after all snow, so the news about the storm isn't all fake ... but at the same time it isn't all real eather.

link   

Don’t avoid the question. I didn’t ask what trumps opinion was because I know it. I ask you if you took it literally . ( now you’re going to say how do I know trumps opinion )

I trust your gullibility

I can predict the way the rest of our discussion is going to go. I’m going to say something and you’re going to ask for a source.

Then I’m going to post the source .

And I’m going to lead you into the next trap with another question .

I’m going to ask you for evidence fox is yellow journalism and you’re going to avoid answering .

Then I’m gonna set you up with another question .

We can quit anytime you want.

GN
edit on 21-10-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

link   
The database is found here by the way.

What one finds is a) the Washington Post cites another database that shows a Trump claim and then shows why it's a lie BASED ON VERIFIABLE FACTS in each case.

Now, that you have the link, let's go. Name the lies about Trump's lies, but quote the source in full.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   

You asked for a source, I supplied one then evidently you didn’t read it.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Here's what you said:

I’ve got another example

What does my opinion about whether Trump is going shoot someone matter?

Did Trump say it? Yes. Did I think Trump said it? Yes.

Those are FACTS, and that's the issue I'm pointing out to you with your thread. You keep talking about truth, and then you give examples of your OPINIONS.

You have a high opinion of your abilities. I'm at your service ... lead me into your "traps" LOL.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I was wrong. Now the count is 13,435 !!!!

And the link is right here look under the big bold word ...... HYPERBOLE

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

You asked for a source, I supplied one then evidently you didn’t read it.

Read it? What your Youtube link?

Nope, I watched it. LOL.

(Was that one of your traps?)

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I was wrong. Now the count is 13,435 !!!!

And the link is right here look under the big bold word ...... HYPERBOLE

Soooo ... why don't you cite a lie from Washington post about Trump's lies?

You've reviewed and verified a few of them right?

Which one? Show us.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

The distinction between fact and opinion is the basis of my critique of the OP.

What's a specific example from the WaPo site of a truth-checker confusing fact and opinion?

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Did Trump say it? Yes. Did I think Trump said it? Yes.

OK now we’ve established that you know Trump said it .

So here’s the question did you take the statement literally or as a joke ?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join