It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellow journalism a threat to democracy .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The mainstream media has been politicized for years. But nothing like it is now.

For me the words propaganda or even fake news just didn’t fit the bill as a description for their actions.

Then a family member mentioned a phrase that I had forgotten a long time ago. From my point of view it condensed the main stream media’s actions down to a more descriptive term.

The term was coined in the 1890s when journalism was at a low point. The competition lead newspapers to sensationalize their stories in order to influence readers and increase circulation .

Yellow journalism is close to tabloid journalism . The only difference is people recognize that platforms like the National Enquirer or the daily mail . Aren’t to be taken at face value.

The danger from yellow journalism arises when it comes from ‘formally’ credible sources. Especially when it’s viewership is emotionally charged and easy to persuade.

I attempted to edit this from Frank Mott’s list of the five characteristics in yellow journalism cited in 1941. To better fit our day and age .

1. Shocking headlines in that are meant to scare people, often of news that wasn't very important (White nationalist!!!!!Russian agent,’!!!! most corrupt president ever, Global warming !!!
2. using many pictures or drawings (memes)
3. using fake interviews, headlines that didn't tell the whole truth, and false information from people who said they were experts (Severe Cherry picking, soundbites , Cutter and the cast of characters we regularly see)
4. full-color parts of the newspaper on Sundays, usually with comic strips (which is now normal in the United States)4. Add on help by the Liberal Hollywood and shows like SNL taking up the cause
5. taking the side of the “underdog” against the system.
Racist, xenophobic, illegal immigrants.....etc

Here they are in their original form.

1. headlines in huge print that were meant to scare people, often of news that wasn't very important
2. using many pictures or drawings
3. using fake interviews, headlines that didn't tell the whole truth, pseudoscience (fake science), and false information from people who said they were experts
4. full-color parts of the newspaper on Sundays, usually with comic strips (which is now normal in the United States)
5. taking the side of the "underdog" against the system.

“It is not astounding that yellow journalism has created a hue and cry in society and because it is a fact that the media is a very powerful and influential tool, which has, a great reach throughout the country. It has the power to either 'make or break' a person”.

* Rituj Chopra

News sources like CNN, MSNBC and The Washington Post . Have taken not a step but a giant leap backwards in time. They are the biggest threat to the American people .

#FakeNews

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Even our Founders had the same complaints about the media of their day (newspapers), yet, they also had the wisdom to understand the value of Freedom of the Press in regard to American liberty. We have laws in place that govern slander and defamation. It's not the government's place to determine what we can or cannot say to each other or how we say it.

If a media outlet lies and causes harm, prove it in court, don't suggest that we trample the Constitution because one "side" or the other doesn't get the coverage they want.

Think about it, do you really want Government determining truth? Do you really want the state to decide if your opinions are right or wrong?

My answer is no, an emphatic one.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

I certainly think that media is toxic. I don't see how we can be healthy as a democracy in the state we're in.

But I also think it's our fault. All the BS "reality" TV people consume, and the following of _______ family.

I'm starting to wonder if people even want the boring unadulterated facts we used to get called news. Or has society and culture gotten so shallow, they are to lazy too do anything with those facts to form their own unique thoughts and opinions? Are people getting so dense they actually need to be entertained by the media, with flashy effects and dramatic talking heads to spice up the most mundane stories?

Even worse, do people like being told what to think? And I'm going to go with this as one of the biggest symptoms of the disease given the amount of punditry consumption from both sides of the aisle.

The media is feeding a demand that we're providing... I think we need to go after the root.
edit on 21-10-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Of course I don’t want to government deciding the truth .

I want to hear the truth !

The first amendment is a right I cherish .

But with the rage the MSM has created it’s a danger to society much like inciting a riot .

If their propaganda leads to something similar to the days of rage in 1969. The CEO’s of the outlets should be hauled off to jail .

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   
What are they reporting about Trump and the gang that is fake?

Where do you get the bulk of your news from?

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Truth can be subjective.
At least in politics.
Is the economy doing good?
I can find five articles saying yes and five saying no and all of them would be correct from a point of view.

I understand your feelings on this subject though.
I've seen the video clips of our news media using the same talking points in their "news" feeds. They use the exact same wording....ugh.

Our only hope is that people can see through that sort of thing but too many people get their news from jenny on Facebook.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   

You don't want the government deciding truth you want to determine the truth and enforce that on the rest of us via government jailers?

That's not much better, frankly.

edit on 21-10-2019 by Gryphon66 because: Spelling.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: GrandSchemeOfThings

you have an interesting posting history....

yeah, I did look.

seems you missed the whole "russia collusion hoax"

where ya been??

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Truth is just someone’s interpretation of the facts.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I always wonder why well-known sensationalist sites like Breitbart or Daily Caller never make these lists.

It's almost like it's not really about fake news.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Free speech will always be a potential threat to our political leadership because it gives us a voice.

We should never cede control of our expression to the government, any government.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yup on the economy for months we were facing a pending recession. Until we weren’t .

The best example for coordination. Was after Trump called MS 13 animals. Just about every news outlet came out in the morning saying Trump called all Mexicans animals .

I think most of the Democrats know that the main stream media is lying. They just watch it for talking points .

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: thedigirati

Not exactly a hoax or "witchhunt" if you catch a few dozen witches. It did not go far enough and you know as well as I that Trump would be in prison if he were not president.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: GrandSchemeOfThings

I thought the same about ole Barry, and Bush, and Cheney, and Clinton, and Pelosi, and Waters...…………………..

Thing is, 1890 was a long time ago so peeps pushed passed it then, why not now? Plus we have the internets so we iz smarter than them.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I know we have our differences, but I'd like to say how much I appreciate your integrity in defense of the Constitution and First Amendment rights.

Thank you sir!

link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Even our Founders had the same complaints about the media of their day (newspapers), yet, they also had the wisdom to understand the value of Freedom of the Press in regard to American liberty. We have laws in place that govern slander and defamation. It's not the government's place to determine what we can or cannot say to each other or how we say it.

If a media outlet lies and causes harm, prove it in court, don't suggest that we trample the Constitution because one "side" or the other doesn't get the coverage they want.

Think about it, do you really want Government determining truth? Do you really want the state to decide if your opinions are right or wrong?

My answer is no, an emphatic one.

That's hilarious. So you are admitting you are not able to tell from what you read or hear what is true, or what is a lie.

Most of us CAN tell the difference very easily.

Libel and slander don't apply to most lies told in the media. The ones targeting specific people yes. But flagrantly lying in the media is a whole different thing than libel/slander.

Some people are destined to being led around like sheep generally speaking. Trump won because enough people were not being led around by media lies. In other words, we can tell the difference between lies and truth.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Truth is just someone’s interpretation of the facts.

Funny you say that... I watched one of the old Indiana Jones last night and he told his class archeology is the search for facts, if you want truth to to philosophy.

I loved that line.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

I know we have our differences, but I'd like to say how much I appreciate your integrity in defense of the Constitution and First Amendment rights.

Thank you sir!

I think free speech, real free speech, is defending something you disagree with.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: GrandSchemeOfThings
a reply to: thedigirati

Not exactly a hoax or "witchhunt" if you catch a few dozen witches. It did not go far enough and you know as well as I that Trump would be in prison if he were not president.

what half dozen "witches" were caught colluding with Russia?

and what exactly would President Trump be in Jail for if he was not the President?? cause all I hear is he broke the law while president. so if he was not the President, he would not be breaking laws (so by your own logic, he would not be in jail)

(you wont be able to be specific will you?)

ball is in your court, your shot.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

You don't want the government deciding truth you want to determine the truth and enforce that on the rest of us via government jailers?

That's not much better, frankly.

You don't have the right to shout fire in a crowded theater when there in fact is no fire.
You can be charged criminally and sued in civil court for such an act if people are injured because of your actions.
If a news outlet causes harm by knowingly pushing false stories, they can be held accountable for their actions.... by the government.
edit on b000000312019-10-21T08:30:58-05:0008America/ChicagoMon, 21 Oct 2019 08:30:58 -0500800000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join