It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's a quick video (GoPro) of my 100mph Race Drone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Its been a while since I flew this drone. Been working on my micro build lately. I forgot how exhilarating this build was. The lighting was not the best... over cast is not good for FPV video. But its good enough to get a perspective of the speed. Since it had been a while since I flew this drone. I eased into the flight. It's more aggressive towards the end of the video.

Enjoy! Its your Friday flight footage!

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Triton1128

I love your drone videos, thanks !
The video quality seems much better on this drone than your new lightweight one, does each drone have it's own separate video equipment?
yes, I know nothing about this hobby except it's fun to watch...

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: horseplay

All good! This drone is much bigger, large enough to actually carry a GoPro on it to record nice smooth HD video. The other smaller micro drone is just so small, that I can only record the feed that goes to my goggles.

I fly them all the same way. I have a small FPV (First Person View) camera on the drone that sends me live video back to my goggles. So I fly as if I'm sitting on the front of the drone. Its really neat... very immersive.

On the thumbnail image above for my video, you can see the square GoPro session on the top of it. IF you look below it, there is a small camera. That smaller one is linked to my goggles and thats the feed I see when I fly. The GoPro footage is only seen afterwards when I transfer the HD video from it, onto my PC for editing.

Hope that helps explain the question!

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Still very cool. And it's like you have a little surprise waiting to see how much better it looks after!

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: UnendingVigilance

You are absolutely correct. Sometimes you risk breaking it all to get some crazy shot, just for that video clip!

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   

lol And heres me still watching the wrench on youtube on how to make a drone out of cardboard, hot glue and a 3d printer...

Love your vids mate.. I would be in a better place with that as a hobby to take care of the dastardly demons..

ETA - Or pencils... no intrusion on your thread intended... just a quirky "OMG WOW DIY LIFE HACK AMAZING!!!!11" addition to my lament.. haha

edit on 13-9-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

That's what the hobby was like a few years ago! before it took off! now we have fancy new frames coming out every week. Too many flight controller manufactures to keep track of and new motor protocols coming out every 6 months. Its ever changing, which is great. Keeps me on my toes.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Dude, so awesome. I've watched your drone vids before i joined; those are very cool.

Color me green! And please keep uploading as you see fit.

I have few of my own, but had not the time to fly mine in years. I too have built my own, all of them (i got 5, 2 tris and 3 quads)

That one nanoscale you have, that is soooooooo cool! 78 grams, was it?

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Triton1128
Its been a while since I flew this drone. Been working on my micro build lately. I forgot how exhilarating this build was. The lighting was not the best... over cast is not good for FPV video. But its good enough to get a perspective of the speed. Since it had been a while since I flew this drone. I eased into the flight. It's more aggressive towards the end of the video.

Enjoy! Its your Friday flight footage!

Cool. Can you recommend a setup for an experienced beginner? I say experienced as I competitively race 1/10 & 1/8th off road RC cars. So wrenching on RC vehicles, LIPOs, soldering, motors, etc aren't really new to me... I probably got $5k of RC tools and chargers sitting on my work bench. However, I don't know crap about FPV drones but looking to get into it.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
RaceDayQuads out of Florida is a really solid supplier. They do same day shipping and here in CT. I get my orders within a couple days. I would look for something small thats a RTF kit. ( Ready to fly ) They will come with both the drone and the transmitter. You would just have to bind it ( which I'm sure you are used to doing ). Aside from that, you will be able to connect it to Beta flight to see how its set up and configured. For FPV, you would need to buy goggles. That's the pricey part. A decent pair of full diversity goggles will run upwards of 300 bucks. There are cheaper options, but the quality starts to decline quickly.

RCgroups.com is another wonderful resource. Its a forum with every and all topics RC related. They have forums specifically built for beginners which include how to's and answers to common questions. So hit that up too.

This is the quick answer just to get the ball rolling. There is just so much to the hobby ( electronic side of building, binding, understanding a certain level of electronic components and electrical flow. Then the programming and understanding of flight mechanics and scaling of PIDS, ect. Then finally after you have everything working and a ready to go model. You need to learn to fly it. )

Youtube is your friend. I would just start watching how to videos and review videos. Just be warned. Its super addicting!
edit on 13-9-2019 by Triton1128 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Triton1128
RaceDayQuads out of Florida is a really solid supplier. They do same day shipping and here in CT. I get my orders within a couple days. I would look for something small thats a RTF kit. ( Ready to fly ) They will come with both the drone and the transmitter. You would just have to bind it ( which I'm sure you are used to doing ). Aside from that, you will be able to connect it to Beta flight to see how its set up and configured. For FPV, you would need to buy goggles. That's the pricey part. A decent pair of full diversity goggles will run upwards of 300 bucks. There are cheaper options, but the quality starts to decline quickly.

RCgroups.com is another wonderful resource. Its a forum with every and all topics RC related. They have forums specifically built for beginners which include how to's and answers to common questions. So hit that up too.

This is the quick answer just to get the ball rolling. There is just so much to the hobby ( electronic side of building, binding, understanding a certain level of electronic components and electrical flow. Then the programming and understanding of flight mechanics and scaling of PIDS, ect. Then finally after you have everything working and a ready to go model. You need to learn to fly it. )

Youtube is your friend. I would just start watching how to videos and review videos. Just be warned. Its super addicting!

Thanks. Familiar with RCgroups.

Just curious as to where to start as I've been building pro-level RC cars for past 15 years now. Buy race roller kit, pick servos, motors, ESC, etc. Since I've been in it so long, I know I'll pick it up pretty quick and start wanting better stuff. I rather buy nicer stuff from the start.

What brand drones and goggles do you recommend? What is the good drone transmitter? I use Sanwa and Futaba for my car transmitters.

I'm not looking to race them (don't have time for race days now because of young kids) but looking for something I can fly around the park by my house.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Goggles = I'm a FatShark fan boy. I just bought the Attitude V5's. Check them out.

Radio = Taranis QX7 - they use the FrSky receiver protocol. Awesome radio, I have all my models stored on it. Range on a basic XM+ receiver that only cost 15 bucks is over 1 mile and can display RSSI via BetaFlight OSD in your goggles HUD.

EMAX is a solid brand for motors, ESC, and Flight controllers in general. Ive never had a problem.

Frames : Armattan frames are top notch. You pay more, but it comes with a lifetime warranty. You smash it, they send you a new one.

The drone in the video above cost me about 450 bucks in parts. 2 hours to build, another few hours to fly / tune. Add in the cost of the GoPro session 5 on it. (250$) You end up around 700 bucks in the air.

If you click the video and go into the description, I list all the parts in the build. So you can look up the individual parts if you like! I hand picked them all.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 02:24 AM
link   

So sic.. I think you've solidified my desire to get one.

Not to mention, you can actually have a career flying these things, like for film or whatever.

Can you mention your top 3 or 5 picks for manufacturers for quality drones?

Also controller manufacturers? Oh and goggles manufacturer please..

Would really appreciate..

----

Edit: Just read your post above. Dang I don't think I'm ready to go all in like that. Can you suggest any ready to go (premade drones) manufacturers and controllers? Maybe I can use a laptop for FPV till I decide to buy goggles?

edit on 14-9-2019 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2019 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 03:01 AM
link   

That's awesome, can't wait for the government attack drones....

Thanks for sharing

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Damn that thing is fast! Looks like fun.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   
The speed makes the shot really cool. Thanks for sharing.

top topics

join