It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Like Wine? Favorite?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
When I was in my late teens I never liked wine, but many of my friends did. It was usually wines like Boone's Farm and TJ Swann. In college, I used to only drink wine when I had a nice dinner date, otherwise it was beer and liquor. I did learn about wine back then because Mom belonged to this wine club and she'd get all these different wines every other week to try. Some were good, some not so good and some were horrible. I learned what I liked, and what I didn't. Surprisingly, I was not a fan of sweet wines, but rather dry wines. This was back in the late 80's to mid 90's when the whole "California wine" thing took off (Napa valley, etc). I did like some of the German white wines though (German red wine is terrible, IMHO).

Over the years I've developed a pretty good taste for wines, but I never really drank wine that much. I knew the good wines from the bad, and I knew what wines went with foods. Of course, my wife (the Chef) has a pretty good handle on wines as well. So I continued to learn. Then there was the Australian and South African wine thing, with wines like Shiraz (Syrah) became popular. But those were all trends.

My favorites have always been French and Italian wines.

If I had to pick a favorite wine it would be a Bordeaux. A second would be a quality Italian Chianti, and even some smaller vineyard 'table reds'.

Recently, there have been some pretty nice fruit wines put out. Things like chokecherry, elderberry, cherry and strawberry-rhubarb by some vinters here in Colorado. They're on the sweeter side, but they're very well done and not kiddie wines.

I have a fun (and heart warming) story about wines too. One time, for Christmas, my wife and I were going over to my parents for dinner and Christmas. We'd bought some giant lobsters we had flown in and we had a prime rib in the oven, but we needed some wine. Down the road there was a pretty high end liquor store which was going out of business, so wifey decided to go in and see if she could get some nice wine. She came home with (2) bottles of Bordeaux. One of them was a Chateaux Margaux Bordeaux that she had picked up for $40 bucks. She said it was stuck on a shelf over by the cheap wines. It was fabulous and my parents, my wife and I loved it. I'd never heard of Chateaux Margaux, but it sure was good.

Several months after that wonderful dinner with my parents I went to a good wine store and asked to be shown the Chateaux Margaux's they had. The manager showed up, and led me to the VIP wine tasting room. They only had one bottle left. It was a 3 year old Margaux (the soonest you can get one). It $850!! I about fell over.

Apparently, someone had switched prices on the bottle my wife found (and neither one of us really knew about this particular Bordeaux vineyard), and she lucked out.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I would have saved that bottle of wine because it would be worth several thousand dollars now. BUT, to have unknowingly enjoyed probably what was the most expensive bottle of wine I've ever had with my Mom and Dad (who have both passed away now) is a really special moment in my life, and I have absolutely no regrets. Only fond memories.

What's your favorite wine?
edit on 9/11/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   
So, if I had to list my favorites, it would be:

Bordeaux
Chianti
(some Pinot Noir's)
I do like a Chardonnay
Pino Grigio
Bob's "Hooch" (my own wine, which I can control the dryness with almost perfecly)

So I make some really nice fruit wines which are not too sweet, and not too dry. Things like...

- Cranberry
- Peach-Rhubarb
- Plum
- White Grape
- and so many others I haven't even tried to make yet!

link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I pick two gallons of elderberry flowers in the spring and freeze them.

In the fall, I pick elderberries, huckleberries and strawberries.

Boil the whole mix up and let cool.

Put in a 5 gallon glass bottle, add spring water, add real brown sugar and a special blend of yeasts, put on an air lock, wait a few months.

Add a little more sugar, apple smoked pear wood chips and a few handfuls of maple leaves after they have fallen.

Let sit a few more weeks until you have no more bubbles in the airlock.

THEN strain, put into another 5 gallon and let it clarify (sit until it clears).

Bottle, enjoy.

edit on 11-9-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

link   

My favorite is Roscato Rosso Dolce. It's sweet, red and sparkling (but not TOO sparkly)... and Italian to boot! It is nicely priced (usually anywhere from $9-$13) and becoming available at more and more places the last few years. Made in Lombardy, Italy. Took a bottle with me on our camping trip this past weekend. Nothing better than sipping a nice wine by the campfire under a starry sky!

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Self proclaimed wino here.

I remember the first times I dabbled into wine, and how it became an acquired taste after vomiting and some Chateau Elan muscadine blends while listening to "Waiting for the Sun."

These days, I usually only drink imports, and always red. White seems to upset my stomach.

When I began with red it was Merlot, but now I drink mostly Malbec Reserve. I do like a good Chianti or Bordeaux reserve, but I can drink those like water, because they're so thin. Malbec is thicker. On occasion I'll go for a good Pinot Noir, and there are a few restaurants I like with a good Spanish tempranillo reserve.
edit on 11-9-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

My favorite is Chilean Carménère. You can get a 90+ point for around 30 bucks.

While I'm proud of my pallet, I can't describe in proper wine terms. All I can say is it's full bodied and balanced. Perfect amount of fruitiness, not too sweet, not too bitter.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

A good Merlot trumps anything, according to my palate.

But will watch this thread with interest.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Sourced from premier California winegrowing regions, Conundrum Red features dark red varietals including Zinfandel and Petite Sirah. It is rich, complex and approachable. With lush flavors of cherries and baking chocolate, this wine has fine tannins that create a silky smoothness. Be daring and drink Conundrum Red chilled to enhance its fruit profile and enjoy it any time of year.

www.wespeakwine.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A good Merlot trumps anything, according to my palate.

But will watch this thread with interest.

Funny you said that... Ive been collecting Marilyn Merlots since they began.

M arilyn Wines

I've only drank one because I got it from a family member cheap so had a duplicate... it was the 1999 and was actually pretty good.

The rest will only be gotten into in a SHTF situation...

edit on 11-9-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I don't know much about wines but I know that a better Merlot will have stronger legs when you swirl the glass.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I don't know much about wines but I know that a better Merlot will have stronger legs when you swirl the glass.

My wines are a gentle swirl of flavors with no real alcohol flavor but yet are 22% ABV and can be used as a general anesthesia if necessary.

So they're probably not for everyone... but I prefer them to anything store bought.

But I'm just a backwoods type soOo...

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I actually saw this wine just tonight. Looks interesting.

I may try it.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I actually saw this wine just tonight. Looks interesting.

I may try it.

It's delicious.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I'm all over that! How do you get to 22%? Most yeast will die at 18% (which is what mine get to).

ETA - And I use Champagne yeast too, which is the highest alcohol tolerant.

edit on 9/11/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Those interested in a jumping off point with Chilean wines...

This one is about 20$,its a 85~ I believe.
edit on 11-9-2019 by CriticalStinker because: Edited 90 to 85

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I tried some wine in Peru recently, said to be a "great national" wine.

All I can say is Peruvians don't know how to make wine!! YUCK!!

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Argentinian are great too.

I see you have two great ones.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I also saw a chocolate wine tonight (crazy, I know) which is on the gotta' try list.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I occasionally have to hobnob with the hoity-toities in my line of work.

So I don't look too stupid, I'll just order a Merlot.

It seems to work.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join