It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Like Wine? Favorite?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Alvear Solara sherry and any ice wine. Yes, I like the dessert wines best.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
The cold bear did not taste nearly as good as the cold duck did. I drank down my bottle quickly, then she went to the bathroom and I drank a couple of guzzles of her bottle, definitely better.

Cold duck? Ugh, the swill my parents had around the house all the time. No wonder you were throwing up.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: Lumenari

Quick, everyone go to Luminari's house for home made wine!

The funny part is I don't usually drink wine but I love making it.

My father has made wine his whole life and I fell into it as a hobby.

The hardest wines for me to make is dandelion wine (the prep is horrid but the wine is worth it) and maple leaf wine (takes 4 years to get right).

My friends don't seen to mind though!!!

I'd be interested in reading the sagas of making dandelion and maple leaf wines, if you feel like sharing.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I do not like alcohol. Every encounter I've had with it (no matter how much or how little) has left me regretting. Even if it didn't go really bad (like it usually does if I drank too much) there was just nothing pleasant about it and nothing that left me thinking "I should do this again".

Have never been a fan of it and have not had much experience with it and haven't had a drop since 2005.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

My Wisconsin wine story. As most of you know Wisconsin is beer country, they aren't too keen on wine here, at least in these parts.

My husband took me to a nice place for dinner. I was getting schnitzel and wanted something light to go with it. I asked
for sparkling wine. The bartender screams and the whole restaurant hears it, "No we don't have sparkling wine, Hell we can't even sell that stuff on New Years Eve, and starts laughing!" I sunk in my chair and said I'll take spotted cow...

I recently had some Door county cherry wine and it was very mild and very pleasant.

I probably would have walked out...and told the maitre d exactly why (in no uncertain terms)! Very bad form!

ETA - In fact, I wouldn't have stopped there. I probably also would have hand written a letter to the Manager informing him that I would be writing a strongly negative opinion of their establishment on Yelp, Google and every restaurant ratings site I could find while I was at it!

That kind of attitude really pisses me off! A simple... "No, ma'am, I'm sorry we do not have that, but may I offer a (insert suggestion) instead?"...would have more than sufficed.
edit on 9/12/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I've only had a few wines, but of the handful I've tried, I really liked Il Duca Rosa Imperiale. I did get laughed at by a female coworker who told me that it's a "girl wine" though, whatever that means. I guess because it's sweet and has a low alcohol content. Whatever, drink what you enjoy I say.
I'll eventually get around to trying way more wine.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy
I am more like an uneducated, beer-drinking type of dude, but i like red wine every now and then. I haven't bought any during this year but my favorite is Casillero del diablo. It is from Chile. Just a little over 10 euros, while the cheapest ones are at around 6 euros a bottle. Well worth the investment of a few extra euros i think. Sorry i don't know any fancy terms or anything, it just tastes really good.

And you know what? That's a perfectly acceptable response. Wine snobbery has no place!

It is perfectly acceptable to indulge in what you like. The world of wine is a big place and gladly has room for everyone.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: IAMTAT

I also saw a chocolate wine tonight (crazy, I know) which is on the gotta' try list.

LOL! ChocoVine?! Love that stuff. It's a dessert all by itself.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

That's exactly right, drink what you enjoy. There's no such thing as a 'girl wine'. In fact, I'd like to see someone point out a 'man wine'!

Alcohol content in wine varies from the mid 4% range all the way up to around 18% (22% in Lumenari's case!). Alcohol content isn't the objective of a good wine, but making sure the fermentation cycle is complete to the extent desired is. You never want the sugar to be depleted before the yeast is done fermenting. The difference between a sweet wine and a dry wine is the residual sugar after the fermentation is complete.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

I don't remember what it was called. It wasn't cheap, and it had a pretty good score. I can't even imagine what it's like.

I'll have to look for the name next time I'm in there. Maybe I'll even grab a bottle, always love to try new wines.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   

My favorites have always been French and Italian wines.

If I had to pick a favorite wine it would be a Bordeaux. A second would be a quality Italian Chianti, and even some smaller vineyard 'table reds'.

You've got great taste! These are in my top three.

Over the last decade, I've developed a taste for red Australian Grenaches.

Since we have similar tastes, you might like it!

edit on 12-9-2019 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I probably would have walked out...and told the maitre d exactly why (in no uncertain terms)! Very bad form!

I wasn't offended at all, I actually thought it was funny. People here can be a little rough, something that you have to get used to real quick. This is the only state I've ever lived in where blue jeans are acceptable in a 5* restaurant.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

originally posted by: Daranini
reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Two of my favorite wines are...

Chateau neuf du Pope ( for special occasions)
BV costal vinyards ( great everyday wine)

You mean Château neuf du Pape as it is called over here in France.

My favourites are Château St George (St Émilien) and as my in-laws have a vineyard I favorise their Touraine Cabernet (Val du Loire) or their Cot/Malbec (Val du Loire).

Otherwise a nice fruity Languedoc Red (Merlot) filled with the sunshine of the south of France.

Lags

One wine I haven't figured out yet is a Malbec. I can't decide if I like it, or don't like it. The couple times I've tried it it seemed very strong, almost thick (not sure how to describe it really). It was like it wanted to be fruity, but it wasn't, and wanted to be dry, but it wasn't...almost more sour than anything and it had a really strong green-wood aftertaste. I've kind of felt like it was a kick to the face.

So far, I've just chalked it up to not having had a quality Malbec yet.

I know that many of the Bordeaux wannabe's add a Malbec to their blend, but I've also had some Bordeaux's which were not very good at all too, and I wonder if it was the Malbec.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

I'll take a look next time I'm in the wine place.

I'd really like to learn more about Australian wines and South American wines. My Australian wine exploits to date have pretty much been limited to things like Yellow Tail, which was kind of 'Meh" to me. I have a total blind spot in South American wine, with zero knowledge except for one bad (wine) experience in Peru (dry to the point of turning your tongue inside out, and sour). In any case, I will look into the Grenache.

I did had some pretty good South African wines when I was over in Malaysia, but I don't see a lot of them here. There's a few, but I've not tried any. (Another area to explore I guess).

The hard part for me is, I know the flavor, aroma, level of dryness and finish I like in a wine, but I don't know how this translates into wine names from other country's other than France, Italy, Germany and the US. I also know what I don't like. So I'm apprehensive to just blindly try something until I understand the naming better because the ones I don't like I really don't like.

Surprisingly, there are some really good wine makers right here in Colorado. Most of them are over on the western part of the state by Grand Junction (and Fruita in particular).

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Okay, well as long as you weren't upset by it, but I probably still would have told them to stuff it and not given them my money for that kind of service.

I definitely would have let them know about my feelings on the matter, and given an attitude adjustment. Then I likely would have decided my next steps based on their reaction.

Homey don' play dat!

edit on 9/12/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I don't drink Malbecs...but my wife likes them.

Her favorite is:

-------------------------------

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

My Australian wine exploits to date have pretty much been limited to things like Yellow Tail, which was kind of 'Meh" to me.

I can't stand Yellow Tail. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Here are a couple of choices that I like that are cheap, but don't taste it.

There's a Spanish Grenache that I like, the name sounds questionable, but the taste is actually very good!

BITCH - GRENACHE WINE

Aragon, Spain- Dark cherry and raspberry aromas are underpinned with spicy, peppery notes with hints of anise. Displays extraordinary natural acid balance, even at elevated ripeness levels. Conveys vibrant, juicy fruit with a very soft, sweet-fruited palate structure.

www.totalwine.com...

Another good one from Australia that doesn't cost the $40 of the one I like the most is...(this one is a mix)...

The Stump Jump - Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre

The nose is chock-full of fresh blackberries, cherries and dark chocolate sprinkled with spices. The palate is fresh and juicy, ripe red fruits mix with plums, blackcurrant, flowers and a twist of black pepper. The tannins are fine with d'Arenberg's trademark earthiness helping keep this easy going wine in check.

www.bauerwines.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Back in hg.school it was BALI HI or Boones Farm Apple or Strawberry Hill.....
Now, any nice Bordeaux, Lambrusco....Sangria, Merlot....

These days I prefer red and the wife prefers white....

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

originally posted by: Daranini
reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Two of my favorite wines are...

Chateau neuf du Pope ( for special occasions)
BV costal vinyards ( great everyday wine)

You mean Château neuf du Pape as it is called over here in France.

My favourites are Château St George (St Émilien) and as my in-laws have a vineyard I favorise their Touraine Cabernet (Val du Loire) or their Cot/Malbec (Val du Loire).

Otherwise a nice fruity Languedoc Red (Merlot) filled with the sunshine of the south of France.

Lags

One wine I haven't figured out yet is a Malbec. I can't decide if I like it, or don't like it. The couple times I've tried it it seemed very strong, almost thick (not sure how to describe it really). It was like it wanted to be fruity, but it wasn't, and wanted to be dry, but it wasn't...almost more sour than anything and it had a really strong green-wood aftertaste. I've kind of felt like it was a kick to the face.

So far, I've just chalked it up to not having had a quality Malbec yet.

I know that many of the Bordeaux wannabe's add a Malbec to their blend, but I've also had some Bordeaux's which were not very good at all too, and I wonder if it was the Malbec.

I can honestly say that the Fat Bastard Malbec might tickle your tastebuds :

www.fatbastardwine.com...

Here is a link to a good friend of mine who has a great wine blog (He is pretty well known in Europe and is a great wine critic) :

jimsloire.blogspot.com...

Lags
edit on 12-9-2019 by Lagomorphe because: Link added

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Generally a single run wine for me ends up about 13-15%, which is perfect for things that don't have a lot of taste, like watermelon, huckleberry or dandylion.

With stronger things (heavy berry flavors like blackberry, elderberry, etc ) I just restart the fermentation process with a different yeast, a little more sugar and a little heat.

I'm going to buy another hydrometer though... I have been using an old one of Dad's for the last 20 years or so. When you expressed surprise at my 22% claim I was puzzled and looked it up online.

Seems what I am doing should max out at 19-20%.

I may have been inadvertently blowing smoke up people's butts for a long time on that number...

ETA... actually, the more I think about it the more upset I get.

I've had friends and family buying my elderberry wine for $60 a bottle for a long time.

Have I been lying to them the whole time about the ABV?

Just... blah

edit on 12-9-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join