It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schrödinger's Cat is a bunch of BS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Superposition isn't some profound concept. It just requires some selfish guy who thinks whether he observed something or not makes a bit of difference. It doesn't. The Cat is either dead or alive. It's not both.

We can apply this to eating breakfast. When I reach for my box of cereal, am I going to be able to eat or did my roommate eat it all but put the empty box back on the shelf like a slob? My observation has nothing to do with the answer. The cereal box doesn't exist in a state of superposition. Either my roommate was a slob or he didn't finish the whole box. Whether I observed it or not is irrelevant.

I think Schrödinger just hated Cats.

Change my mind.
edit on 7-9-2019 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

(post by FlukeSkywalker removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

LOL

Love it! Star & Flag!

On a side note...
Maybe, Schrödinger just hated people that assume stuff, all day long!

edit on 7-9-2019 by Sookiechacha because: no buts

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

Superposition isn't some profound concept. It just requires some selfish guy who thinks whether he observed something or not makes a bit of difference. It doesn't. The Cat is either dead or alive. It's not both.

We can apply this to eating breakfast. When I reach for my box of cereal, am I going to be able to eat or did my roommate eat it all but put the empty box back on the shelf like a slob? My observation has nothing to do with the answer. The cereal box doesn't exist in a state of superposition. Either my roommate was a slob or he didn't finish the whole box. Whether I observed it or not is irrelevant.

Change my mind.

until you open the box you don't know whats the state inside lol

so then, it could be any of empty or not empty, from your point of view it is not defined what state it is

if you open it then you know for sure...

it is in your mind not in the box
edit on 7-9-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Yeah but it isn’t anything till it’s observed', pretty profound but

Let me introduce you to the double slit experiment if you are not familiar already
That’s interesting but havnt time to consider the relevance though I think it is

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   

This is not the idea of that cat.

The idea is that you do not know it yet. So it is undefined. Like you write down in math "x="
it is undefined.

It is a concept and not to be taken literally.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   

The only thing you and the box have in common is a concept of time.

The cat is alive. Until it dies.

It's a probability factor as far as i'm concerned.

If the cat was placed in the box. And box closed.

If opened after just 3 minutes. There would be less probability that the cat was dead, Than, if opened after 3 hours. Where there would be a greater probability that the cat was dead. Or less probability that the cat was alive.
edit on 7-9-2019 by blackcrowe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
say he was having a hard morning and it turns out that he is a slob.

say then, you begin to add pieces (from somewhere) back into the box... how many pieces and bits must be added before it is fuzzy enough for your satisfaction?

+29 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Schrödinger's Cat
is both BS and not BS at the same time

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BoneSay

Unless you factor in the knowledge of how much food and water the existential cat is given. If the cat in the box has a finite amount of food and water, or none, or infinite, the timeline of existence of life can be postulated.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Unless it dies right the moment he closes the lit through a heart attack or whatever.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Seriously guys, this is thought experiment that is in fact logically sound,
I't not really about a cat.
But it could be.
The one thing about this "experiment" that puzzles me, is:
The Cat knows.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Unless you factor in the knowledge of how much food and water the existential cat is given. If the cat in the box has a finite amount of food and water, or none, or infinite, the timeline of existence of life can be postulated.

the experiment doesn't mention that so you can say there are none,

And then still it all depends on your mind and point of view. cat could die of old age or a spider went into the box and killed it or whatever, if the experiment doesnt mention those things then it is not relevant

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I agree. I have only found one reality that we all share. Living with uncertainty is confusing, not the state of a cat in a box.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345
Schrödinger's Cat
is both BS and not BS at the same time

You probably just figured out, well, everything!

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

Change my mind.

If a tree falls in a forest......Pandora's box.
edit on 7-9-2019 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Schroedingers cat never existed.

People always say it was a thought experiment, wrong. It was schroedinger highlighting the absurdity of the Copenhagen interpretation, there was no experiment, just an observation and understanding of quantum mechanics of that time.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

It was schroedinger highlighting the absurdity of the Copenhagen interpretation.

That was the thought experiment.... ,🤣🤣🤣🤣😅

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet." Niels Bohr

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Would this not be the meeting ground of Newtonian physics, and QM ?

Classical physics and math: Give us what we 'know', then we can devise a formula, and make a best guess at the result.
QM: Stop pretending. We just don't know. We can't 'know' with 100% certainty, therefore: we don't know.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join