It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Dorian gains fury but might skirt Florida coast

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Normal and hurricane forecast aren't really words you usually use in the same sentence. Hurricanes are almost as unpredictable as a tornado. Not uncommon would probably fit better.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: Gothmog

Yarrr but there be a Russian version of HAARP somewhere in Seberia I suppose.

Actually , there is rumored to be one.
I don't know about Siberia , though .

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Forecasting a hurricane is like playing darts blindfolded, with a board that's a fraction of the normal size. I've seen five models show five wildly different forecasts. The farther out, the wider the margin of error, which shows as a wider cone.

Agreed!

I've live on the Texas coast (as in 100 yards from the shoreline of the gulf) that shoreline use to be around 150 yards plus.

Spaghetti models narrow the landing center, but not always accurate 3 days out or account for stalls in which they shift unexpectedly. That said, if your are residing as coastal and prone to events, preparedness is (or should be figured) as part of life.

Models help predict to a point and have gotten much, much better, but listen to a good, experienced meteorologist.

Heed the warnings, always bug out if recommended and dont get complacent. I've seen these things spin off with surprising movements in less than a day/night. We lost many neighbors in hurricane Ike being comfortable riding out many before. No one predicted a storm surge of over 12' until to late...

Stay safe Floridians..

mg

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: missed_gear

At 10pm the night before, every forecast said Iniki was passing south of us and was no threat anymore. Two hours later or so it made the 90 degree turn and steamrolled Kauai.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
As I recall, it actually made a slight jog northeast, toward Oahu. Fortunately, that didn't last long.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The initial turn had the eye going just about right down the center of the channel between Oahu and Kauai. Then it made that slight turn more westerly that took it over Kauai.
edit on 8/30/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Dude it's spinning. Start freaking when you see it move in a straight line.
The resistance from the land on one side probably really turns it.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

In this case what turns it is the east/west ridge deteriorating.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Didnt bill.gates want to spray one with cold water???

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Didnt bill.gates want to spray one with cold water???

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
How else can they get my whole state on a tizzy buying up every ounce of water, ice, and gas they can, and selling out Home Depot / Lowes shelves?

I have lived in Florida(NSB) my whole life, and can say with experience, that the worst part of hurricanes are the people.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Seem to remember hearing about a hurricane before I was born that was making a beeline for Tampa Bay, then hours before the eye was due to make landfall it pulled a u turn.

Welp if that map the OP showed ends up being the one that will be mildly concerning for me since I live in South Georgia now.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Or Occam wants to point out that the weather is doing what weather does and that means acting random or not following forecasts all the time due to explainable reasons.

The only weather forecasting that is 100% accurate is looking out your window and seeing what is going on.
Anything else is a forecast which means there is an element of chance or deviation in it.
edit on 31-8-2019 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

There is a big, giant upper level High pressure system sitting over NC. This is what is steering the hurricane, not something like HAARP. I know this to be true by the incredible weather we have been having in NC the past few day (and the news, LOL)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: PokeyJoe

It is the high over the Bahamas.

edit:

I meant Bermuda but entered the Bahamas.
edit on 8/31/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I miss the evacs for them honestly. They sent 150 aircraft over two days to NAS Ft Worth JRB for this one. (And no matter what they call it, it's Carswell dammit.)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

No I think over NC, or off the coast of NC.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: PokeyJoe

No I think over NC, or off the coast of NC.

I should have said Bermuda, eastern Atlantic. It is not NC. It and the jet stream are the issue.

edit:

Link to weather map today
edit on 8/31/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Oh yeah.....Bermuda is off the coast of NC so yeah.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The latest: www.foxnews.com...

""As of 8 a.m ET Saturday, the National Hurricane Center warned of a "notable change" to Dorian's possible path into Tuesday, stressing that it could make landfall in Florida, Georgia or the Carolinas. Most of Florida remains in the so-called "cone of uncertainty""

Now that HARP has made Hurricane Dorian into an unpredictable monster, what should people in the Carolina's do?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join