It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pointy and lengthened skulls discovery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   

“We propose that the type of artificial cranial deformation may have been a visual indicator of membership in a specific cultural group,” said Mario Novak, a bioarchaeologist at the Institute for Anthropological Research in Zagreb and a senior author of the study, in the statement. The discovery indicates that the different groups were interacting closely in parts of Central and Eastern Europe, he added.

Mysterious pointy and lengthened skulls discovery sheds new light on strange ancient rituals

This is from the paper Cranial deformation and genetic diversity in three adolescent male individuals from the Great Migration Period from Osijek, eastern Croatia

Abstract

Three individuals dating to the Great Migration Period (5th century CE) were discovered in a pit at the Hermanov vinograd site in Osijek, Croatia. We were inspired to study these individuals based on their unusual burial context as well as the identification of two different types of artificial cranial deformation in two of the individuals. We combine bioarchaeological analysis with radiographic imaging, stable isotopes analysis, and ancient DNA to analyze their dietary patterns, molecular sex, and genetic affinities in the context of the archaeological data and their bioarchaeological attributes. While all three individuals were adolescent males with skeletal evidence of severe malnutrition and similar diets, the most striking observation is that they had major differences in their genetic ancestry. Results of the genetic analyses of the nuclear ancient DNA data for these individuals indicate that the individual without artificial cranial deformation shows broadly West Eurasian associated-ancestry, the individual with tabular oblique-type has East Asian ancestry and the third individual with circular erect-type has Near Eastern associated-ancestry. Based on these results, we speculate that artificial cranial deformation type may have been a visual indicator membership in a specific cultural group, and that these groups were interacting intimately on the Pannonian Plain during the Migration Period.

The skulls are from 415 to 560 B.C., the era know as the Migration Period. One of the skulls had been “lengthened obliquely” and one was “compressed and heightened.”

I remember the first time I saw skulls like this, when I was a kid and thought they were aliens for sure. I still think it could be possible these people were trying to look like someone/something they saw once.

edit on 23-8-2019 by LookingAtMars because: add link

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The Smithsonian would love to add those to their collection, so no body will ever see them again......

Hey, not unlike the 18 foot skeleton in central Texas.....in the cross timbers area.......

Yes, they wrapped the infant kiddos nice tight bandana for a reason....huh...!
edit on 23-8-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Two words: wrapping tape.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Yes, they wrapped the infant kiddos nice tight bandana for a reason

What reason do you think the head was bound for?

To increase or stunt the brain?

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
The Smithsonian would love to add those to their collection, so no body will ever see them again......

Hey, not unlike the 18 foot skeleton in central Texas.....in the cross timbers area.......

The Smithsonian sucks.Why they hide facts though is beyond reason. I always wonder why?

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Yup,
But not 3m though....however it was also a Peruvian thing, (Nazca) to head bind, but not exclusive to them.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

My dad is a genius scientist. He is a chemist, Microbiologist, parasitologist, bacteriologist, Mathematician, engineer, Director of Research for a Fortune 500 company and was even summoned to the White House for a private meeting with a US Vice President. He also is a pioneer in PC, and was featured in a large newspaper, Sunday color edition, headlines, He agrees with you. He also has news paper clippings from long ago to support his speculation. He will be 93 this year. His beliefs were different in the 1960s. You are awake
edit on 23-8-2019 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Is that also why many of these specimens have been proven to have larger craniums, as well.

Yes, some were bound. Many others were born that way.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 12:08 AM
link   

To imitate the gods from the sky.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Wrapping the skull does not increase the interior volume, a lot of the oblong skulls found have some 2.5 times the volume compared to human skulls.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Starhooker

To imitate the gods from the sky.

Exactly.. a status thing.

And they better get back here soon, or there will be nothing left for them to probe.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I'm sure they did not associate the brain with any activities and therefore would not be looking to increase or decrease its functioning.
The wrapping was aesthetics only.
Obviously they thought it was attractive.
This tradition was still done in tribes in Africa in the recent past. Maybe even still done.
Tatoos, piercings, makeup... Its not like decorating ourselves is something new.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

The article states they are from the 5th Century CE (AD). This fits with the great migration period which was the 5th Century CE - not BC.

The Great Migration period was essentially driven by the Huns expanding outwards from the Steppe and driving Alans, Sarmations, Goths etc before them in a Westwards direction (towards the Roman Empire) but they also went eastwards too. Attila incorporated groups like the White Huns who were known to practice headbinding as well as other groups like the Heruli who did likewise.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Cool, i have read about these, there has also been speculation about the effect on the mind by this deformation/alteration, apparently, an individual that has had this done, may be more impulsive, sometimes aggressive, either way, these individuals were considered to be great warriors.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vicious1

The Smithsonian sucks.Why they hide facts though is beyond reason. I always wonder why?

Because they don't.

Harte

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Is that also why many of these specimens have been proven to have larger craniums, as well.

Yes, some were bound. Many others were born that way.

None of the elongated skulls have a cranial capacity outside the normal human range.

Harte

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Village Idiot

Wrapping the skull does not increase the interior volume, a lot of the oblong skulls found have some 2.5 times the volume compared to human skulls.

No, they don't.
They are within the range of normal human cranial capacity.

In fact, the only thing odd about them is their shape.

Harte

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Babies head right after birth, extremely misshapen.

I wonder if they were trying to keep the oblong shape, so they bound them.

BTW this babies head went back to normal,

popculture.com...
edit on 24-8-2019 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I never pondered that question before.

That is a very good question.

What if it altered the functions of the brain via shape / contortion in some way? Wtf?

That could explain why anyone ever thought it was a good idea … and it wouldn't be just 'cosmetic' as most people explain it to be, but some old weird medical manipulation, to create some particular behavior or personality trait?

edit on 24-8-2019 by Fowlerstoad because: word smithed it a little

edit on 24-8-2019 by Fowlerstoad because: more word smithing. Maybe I should quit my job and become someone else's editor hah

edit on 24-8-2019 by Fowlerstoad because: I edited an edit. something is wrong maybe with the shape of MY Head hahaha

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

Babies head right after birth, extremely misshapen.

I wonder if they were trying to keep the oblong shape, so they bound them.

BTW this babies head went back to normal,

popculture.com...

My daughter's head looked like that when she was born.
It went back into shape as you said, but left a birthmark on the back of her head just above the hairline - called a "stork bite" in case anyone's interested in the term.
Don't know if that ever faded. It's probably dyed green now anyway.

Harte

<<   2  3 >>

join