It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Mother of Slain Soldier Says his Life "Wasted" in Iraq

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

"We've been fighting war for how many thousands of years for peace and look where we are," she said. "We have to learn how to get along."

The mother of this soldier doesn't seem to understand that because wars have been fought in the past for freedom and to have "peace"...that "peace" is just a period in between wars, and past wars which have been won don't guarantee that there won't be any more wars in the future.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Actually I'm in favor of offering US war criminals like Cheney, Bush, Rumsfeld, Ashcroft, Wolfowitz and Rove, clemency in exchange for full confessions.

I myself am looking forward to this day...if it ever comes

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Always, will we live to see the day?

I love ATS.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
It don't matter to me if people disagree or not. That is their perogative, I'm just trying to be a contributing member while also modding. EXCUSE me if you hold it against me. It matters not to me one way or another what some one thinks of me, unless it is my employer, but that is another thing entirely. I take critisism very well, some times too well, enough to unnerve those giving it. Meet me in person you'll understand.

i have no problem with disagreeing, if I ever become sarcastic, or somewhat insulting is because people become sarcastic, patronizing or even insulting towards me. I respect you as long as you respect me also.

Hey, you can have your own opinion too, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Oh, muaddib it was me the one that invoked you present,

It most be my african voodo heritage at work.

Nice to see you around by the way. We all like you in controversial post

[edit on 9-3-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I handled a member who was not involved in your "conversation", if the this thread is ruined it is because all of you. You decided to keep it here instead of making a new thread and taking it there.

I should give ALL OF YOU warns, but I didn't, this article has been told MANY TIMES BY STAFF to clean it up. Patience is a virtue, and staff has been patient.

All of you want the other punished, but won't take responcibilty for your self. So what am I to do, what should those who had to step in do?

I'm just going to let all of you carry on, I'm done following this, and your just going to have to get another mod to pick on or u2u, because it isn't my conversation and I'm not getting involved, but don't push me. I might push back, testing me is like jumping into an errupting volcano and not expect to get hurt, it's just not useing common sence.

Please people use a little more common sence, all of you. If you wanted to argue about off topic bs, you could have just made a corrosponding thread like every one else. Does a thread or article have to be LOCKED every time for everyone to get the point? Or can members be responcible and figure it with common sence. But then, this isn't my conversation, and I won't be getting further involved.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
We are living in a fascist state, but Grady seems to think we're communists for wanting to put an end to it.

Corporate control of public policy led us into the war that took this young man's life.

That's your opinion, which does not make it true.

We have discussed many times whether or not we should have gone to war in Iraq. People can choose one side or the other in this topic, but there is more than enough evidence for the coalition having gone to war. You don't agree with it, that's fine, but turning everything into a president Bush bashing contest just because you disagree with what has happened is just a bit immature.

It is sad that people have to die, but they do. I was in the military, and if I had died i wouldn't expect or want anyone making my death a political tool.

My condolescense goes for this mother, and the mother of every soldier that has died, but it happens in war.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
In order to bring this debate around to its original purpose. The mother has no say in whether her son''s life was wasted or not.

The soldier joined voluntarily the army, therefor he became a tool of the army, and obeyed the instructions given to him, that was his choice. Just as an insurance salesman becomes part of the insurance company he works for.

He is not a "patriot" or "insurgent" fighting for an ideal, without financial benefit. But a worker recieving pay in return for performing a duty.

Therefore his death has nothing idealistic about it. he may have been killed driving to work, or operating machinery, or of a heart attack from stress, like any other worker, those relatives don't say his death was a waste.

The woman is really saying "I don't agree with the war in iraq, that is a waste". which is different from accusing her sons death of being a waste.

She is politicising a death for her own benefit. Would the mother of a policeman publically state the "waste" if her son died in the line of duty, killed by a dumd kid with a gun?

Its the politicization of the events in Iraq and their reporting in the press as such that is the cause for grating in this thread, not the actual death of the soldier. The twisting of a death to score political points.

Obviously the moral of the story is that if you don't want to be a tool of the state then get out of the military, otherwise you, or your relatives, have no cause for complaint.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
In order to bring this debate around to its original purpose. The mother has no say in whether her son''s life was wasted or not.

The woman is really saying "I don't agree with the war in iraq, that is a waste". which is different from accusing her sons death of being a waste.

She is politicising a death for her own benefit.

I think she's in a great deal of personal pain - and because she does not believe in war, she is relating to her son's death, and her own pain, from that perspective.

Would the mother of a policeman publically state the "waste" if her son died in the line of duty, killed by a dumd kid with a gun?

I don't have links - but have heard such said in anger and grief quite frequently.

Its the politicization of the events in Iraq and their reporting in the press as such that is the cause for grating in this thread, not the actual death of the soldier. The twisting of a death to score political points.

Hearing that mother's story and her statement, I heard a primal wail of grief, and a trying to come to terms - not a polemic.

Obviously the moral of the story is that if you don't want to be a tool of the state then get out of the military, otherwise you, or your relatives, have no cause for complaint.

Complaints tend to rise from emotions, which always have a 'cause' - do you mean they don't have a right? Or are not 'reasonable' and logical?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Certianly she is in a great deal of pain, and that pain is expressed in her hatred of the war in Iraq for "taking" her child.

However her statement is based on her personal ideology. If your child joins the military, then be prepared for them to die in the line of duty. its not a knitting club, without risk. Her grief at losing her son is expressed in her hatred of what happened in Iraq. It doesn't mean that what she says has any realisitic or objective reality. Would she make those statements if she supported the war?

Complaints tend to rise from emotions, which always have a 'cause' - do you mean they don't have a right? Or are not 'reasonable' and logical?

By right I mean "reasonable and logical". Her son took the risks of his job onboard when he joined up. He died in the fulfilling of those duties.

What about an insurance exec who dies of a heart attack from overwork, who's fault is that? His or his company? Ultimatly its his, he makes the choice to stay in that occupation.

The soldier died, thats sad, its sad he died, and didn't live a full life. But he joined an army, armies tend to lose their soldiers in war. He knew the risks, his family knew the risks.

He walked into the war with his eyes open and voluntarily. (in as much as anything in life is voluntary, he may have needed the money so be a victim of a form of economic slavery as marx would attest)

What is annoying and almost frivoilous about the event is that the mothers grief, instead of being understood in the context of loss that it is, is exploited for political gamesmanship.

Now whats the bigger crime, a soldier is lost in the fulfillment of his duties, or a mother is exploited in her grief?

[edit on 16-3-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Certianly she is in a great deal of pain, and that pain is expressed in her hatred of the war in Iraq for "taking" her child.

However her statement is based on her personal ideology. If your child joins the military, then be prepared for them to die in the line of duty. its not a knitting club, without risk. Her grief at losing her son is expressed in her hatred of what happened in Iraq.

The woman said, "We've been fighting war for how many thousands of years for peace and look where we are," said Mrs. Brady. "We have to learn how to get along."

...I don't see any hatred there.

It doesn't mean that what she says has any realisitic or objective reality.

Grief and the pain of loss can be observed objectively in times of death - and realistically, are associated strongly with war situations.

Would she make those statements if he supported the war?

Probably - it looks like he did support the war (or why else join the military).

What is annoying and almost frivoilous about the event is that the mothers grief, instead of being understood in the context of loss that it is, is exploited for political gamesmanship.

I disagree VERY strongly. Throughout history it has been women, children and mothers who have born the brunt of wars' carnage. Aside from rape and starvation - they are the survivors. They lose much - their fathers, husbands and breadwinners. They are left with their grief - and burned fields and contaminated water. ...Their voices aren't heard in history books, war stories or documentaries. But they are the survivors, the ones for whom oresumably the wars were fought.

Is it political to give survivors a voice? Maybe. Should they have a voice? You betcha. And for the first time in ALL of history, they have the Internet. Woo-HAH.

Now whats the bigger crime, a soldier is lost in the fulfillment of his duties, or a mother is exploited in her grief?

The original article was not expoitive - nor was my post. ...I actually expected it to die a quiet death, with maybe 3 or 4 responses. I didn't participate much - seemed like most of the action occurred when I wasn't around. It was one of those things that acquired a life of its own

Not sure why, but it seems the thread has been sustained and maintained by those who don't want women and children survivors of war to have any say in how things might work better. Especially if they say they think war is wrong.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Anytime a soldier falls it is tragic. Every fallen soldier has a story. They are all sons, daugthers, brothers, sisters, fathers and mothers. After 9/11 the Mayor of New York said the loss of life would be more than we can bare. Any loss of life is unbearable to those that knew and loved them. This young soldiers mother has every right to think her sons life was a waste.
She bore him, nortured him, raised him into the man that he became. Now he is gone, she will never be able to touch his face again or hear his laugh.
A child will grow without the guidance of a father with only pictures of a life snuffed out way to early. Do you think that this mother cares about your freedoms, your ideals, your rants or conspiracies. Do you think she cares about Afganistan, Iraq, Iran or any where else in this world. If given one wish do you think she would ask for World Peace? She will be left with nothing to clutch to her bossom but the flag that drapes this young mans coffin. Think about that the next time you see someone burn the Stars and Stripes. This young man did not choose to die. He choose only to be a soldier. He did not create the hatred that brings nations and peoples into
conflict. He was trying to create a better life for his family. Governments and Politicians create wars, soldiers pay the ultimate price. This young man will be mourned and dearly missed by those that knew and loved him. Fellow soldiers will stand in their dress uniforms and salute his sacrifice.
Whether you believe his death was in the defense of freedom or the pursuit of world dominace, is of little concerned to this family. At this very moment in Small Town USA, another 19 year old is signing the dotted line.
The young man even has a post on ATS. Some of you ridiculed him for doing so. Where does such hatred and arrogance come from? My heart breaks for the family of the all those that have fallen. But tears of pride swell in my eyes when I think of the bravery and conviction it takes for
someone to put on that uniform. These are not ordinary times and this was not an ordinary young man. God rest his soul!

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join