It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Mother of Slain Soldier Says his Life "Wasted" in Iraq

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Its because i love the United States of America that I hate to see the current state of affairs. Passions run high here, but i really do beleive its all out of love for our country.

Americans love America= dont ever think otherwise.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
You're unworthy to judge my calibre...

I thought I heard a [insert impotent onomonopea here]. I can guess your calibre. I'd bet .177, working off one halfhearted pump.

I agree the mother used her sons death to prop up her political stance, but she's his mother, and he just died - she can do whatever she damn well pleases as far as I'm concerned. The son isn't here testifying, so we don't know how he really felt about being an under paid merc. You're trying to testify for him, which is making you look worse than her!

You being insensitive is par for the course, so that didn't shock me. No, what really stunned me about your tirade was the puffing of the chest. I can't believe you don't find YOURSELF ridiculous when you posture like that. You presume first to speak for all military men, then you presume to speak for the dead boy's mother, then you presume to speak for America, what's next, are you going to tell us what GOD thinks? ( too late...)

Now who's capitalizing on someone elses death? You are! You're using it as an excuse to get all dosed up on patriotism, and what's worse, you're trying to spread it around like some kind of crippled typhoid mary. You used this young man's sacrifice to justify your own hatreds.

Indeed, I do have psychological wounds, as do many who have endured the unendurable so pathetic ingrates like you can insensitively order us to "get over it" and scoff at the deaths of those who die for you.

Once again Grady, you've missed the bus. The people on this thread who are against the war, and bemoaning the death of this young man, are not scoffing at the deaths, and they're not pathetic. They're trying to do what's right just like you are. The diffence is they're not defending an indefendable position like you are - "Widow Hater" - I'm gonna get you a T-Shirt made.

Now, on to some more reasonable comments by a more reasonable person. (Thank you Jesus)

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
As bad as I feel for this man's family, it's important to note that he was an adult volunteer serving in a professional army. He knew what the consequences of his service could be when he signed up and by calling his death a 'waste' his mother is insulting his decision to volunteer for the Army.

I agree, he knew what he was doing, and the choice was his alone. If he didn't know the consequences, he should have. However, his mother calling his death a waste is not insulting his decision. It's always a waste of a life when life is lost before it can flourish. This was a young guy, three quarters of his life ahead of him..it's just a shame is all. He may have believed the spiel about the Iraq war being for the safety of Americans, but those who think differently see his sacrifice as unnecessary and essentially 'stolen' or coerced. He could have served democracy better by staying alive, and it's a shame he's dead.

Also... by running this story as one of its top headlines, ATS 'News' network is just revealing it's strong anti-war bias. A news story reports facts... propaganda and opinion play with emotions for the sake of producing specific political results. Perhaps it's time for ATS to just describe itself as an anti-war website?

I disagree completely with this. Just because some people posting on ATS News are anti-war, doesn't make ATS itself anti-war. Soldiers are dying, and someone needs to be talking about that. Of course, people die every day, but we're talking about disease and weather on ATS too, so I fail to see your point. And there are worse tragedies than the war going on right now..but this Iraq situation is a train wreck, and people have a desire to understand it better.

The mother is entitled to tell her interpretation, Sofi is entitled to hers, Grady gets to do his soapbox "I bled for this flag!" routine, and I get to respond with "You bled in Korea for a flag that's now made in Korea! Hahahaha!"
No sense of irony, these guys...

We all get to make our points in this forum. That, of course, is the beauty of this forum.

Seekeerof
I see you're still batting for the dark side.
Interesting survey, but I question their methodology. I would rather see a door to door poll of working class Americans done by an impartial international investigative team. Maybe Hans Blix is free?

[edit on 4-3-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
When you have a volenteer army, they are taught and trained to obey orders and to lay down thier lives so that in thier death, others may live. When thier commander orders them to risk thier lives it is thier responsibility to make sure that if they are injured or die taking those risks their sacrifice will be for something.

IN short, when ordered to die, a soldier hopes his death will mean something.

No one doubts the noble sacrifice of the troops. But people doubt the orders that caused them to make the sacrifice. It is obvious the mother thinks the latter

What the problem is the country is divided on weather there deaths mean something. It does not make it easier when you have fanatics who belive the leader they elected can do no wrong, and the leader has the inabililty to realise his mistakes.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Too bad people like you benefit from the sacrifice of those who are willing to defend liberty.

what liberty? civil rights in america are being eroded more and more and violated on a daily basis. If thats your liberty, I can tell you, I have not benefited from it.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by General Zapata
what liberty? civil rights in america are being eroded more and more and violated on a daily basis. If thats your liberty, I can tell you, I have not benefited from it.

Please tell us how your liberties have been eroded. How have your civil rights been violated? Don't tell us what you have read in the paper.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Also... by running this story as one of its top headlines, ATS 'News' network is just revealing it's strong anti-war bias. A news story reports facts... propaganda and opinion play with emotions for the sake of producing specific political results. Perhaps it's time for ATS to just describe itself as an anti-war website?

Abovetopsecret deals with conspiracy theories. A subject that is predominantly anti-government simply due to the nature of it. Along with anti-government ideas comes anti-war ideas since its those same governments performing those wars. Nothing needs to be changed. The term "conspiracy theory" is enough to make ATS discounted by the majority of people so why bother adding "unpatriotic" to that list? If say you're a believer that our governments are covering up ET visitation, you can't very well be for those same governments if you think its performing an illegal action against you like a conspiracy. Well, I suppose some can, but I and many others would prefer not to be hypocritically in support of something we can't support for one reason or another.

[edit on 5-3-2005 by Frith]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Why is being anti-war a bad thing?

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28
Why is being anti-war a bad thing?

Because to many people being anti-war is to be unpatriotic. Which is exactly what some are exclaiming against those who are anti-war. And being unpatriotic is a bad thing to people with strong senses of nationalism who attempt to denegrate those who are opposed to war by stating as such. Basically you should just ignore it because those who don't like anti-war sentiment will never like it.

[edit on 5-3-2005 by Frith]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
My actual quote:

You're unworthy to judge my caliber and any mother who would denigrate the patriotic sacrifice of her own son, even in bereavement, is a disgrace to her son and her nation.

Wyrde's rendition of my quote:

You're unworthy to judge my calibre...

Wyrde's response:

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I thought I heard a [insert impotent onomonopea here]. I can guess your calibre. I'd bet .177, working off one halfhearted pump.

I'll put my credentials next to yours any day of the week.

The definition of caliber or calibre, if you prefer:

Main Entry: cal·i·ber

Variant(s): or cal·i·bre /'ka-l&-b&r, British also k&-'lE-/

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle French calibre, from Old Italian calibro, from Arabic qAlib shoemaker's last

1 a : degree of mental capacity or moral quality b : degree of excellence or importance
[Emphasis mine]

2 a : the diameter of a bullet or other projectile b : the diameter of a bore of a gun usually expressed in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and typically written as a decimal fraction

3 : the diameter of a round body; especially : the internal diameter of a hollow cylinder

www.merriam-webster.com...

The spelling and definition of onomatopoeia for the curious:

Main Entry: on·o·mato·poe·ia

Pronunciation: "ä-n&-"mä-t&-'pE-&, -"ma-

Function: noun

Etymology: Late Latin, from Greek onomatopoiia, from onomat-, onoma name + poiein to make -- more at POET

1 : the naming of a thing or action by a vocal imitation of the sound associated with it (as buzz, hiss)

2 : the use of words whose sound suggests the sense

www.merriam-webster.com...

Information provide to clarify the "humorous" effort on the part of Wyrde, the incomparable word smith.

[edit on 05/3/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Just throwin this out Im in Iraq now and am Anti-War. I dont support this war or its goals but I do support freedom and yours and my right to support what we feel is right even if wrong. Its not a all or nothing deal. Many before us have died to see less freedom. Do get misguide to think if youre not a supporter of the war or even us troops your not an american. Our job is to make sure you have an environemnt that will let you think or say what you please not make a few oil cornies richer. If we can make that difference now history will. Remember those who have died in the past for freedom and don't let far right tell you youre not an american!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

As bad as I feel for this man's family, it's important to note that he was an adult volunteer serving in a professional army. He knew what the consequences of his service could be when he signed up and by calling his death a 'waste' his mother is insulting his decision to volunteer for the Army.

IMO - most "news" on ATSNN regurgitates White House Press Releases almost verbatim, like the mainstream news sources.

My articles provide an alternate viewpoint, and balance out the government propaganda. This does not make ATSNN an anti-war website - it just waters down the poison polluting our airways.

And FYI - "Human Interest" is a legitimate component to mainstream news. If you had bothered with the link, you would have seen the source was pulled from AP - a mainstream service.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

PFC Anderson did not die for Bush in the sense that some here may claim, but he did die for every American and every soul on earth who desires to be free.

Why Pfc. Anderson really died:

So Iraq could be ripped apart and divvied up faster in one summer than Latin America has been in 3 decades.

...before the fires from the “shock and awe” military onslaught were even extinguished, Bremer unleashed his shock therapy, pushing through more wrenching changes in one sweltering summer than the International Monetary Fund has managed to enact over three decades in Latin America.”

...In his first major act on the job, Bremer "fired 500,000 state workers, most of them soldiers, but also doctors, nurses, teachers, publishers, and printers. Next, he flung open the country’s borders to absolutely unrestricted imports: no tariffs, no duties, no inspections, no taxes. Iraq, Bremer declared was "open for business," "

Before the war, Iraq’s non-oil-related economy consisted of 200 state-owned companies, that produced everything from cement to paper to washing machines. In June, Bremer attended an economic summit in Jordan and announced that the firms would be privatized immediately. “Getting inefficient state enterprises into private hands,” he said, “is essential for Iraq’s economic recovery,"

In September, to entice investors to buy the state-owned companies, Bremer enacted a new set of laws. For example, Order 37 lowered Iraq’s corporate tax rate from roughly 40% to a flat 15%. Order 39 allowed foreign companies to own 100% of Iraqi assets outside of the natural-resource sector.

Investors could take 100% of the profits they made in Iraq out of the country. They would not be required to reinvest and would not be taxed. Under Order 39, they could sign leases and contracts that would last for forty years. Order 40 welcomed foreign banks to Iraq under the same favorable terms

Source

You call that freedom?! Gimme a break.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CAConrad0825

How many other soliders have fallen and yet they do not complain of wasted life?

They can't. They're dead.

It doesn't matter what cause flawed or not, it matters that you died for your country.

They didn't die for their country. They died for the corporate economic takeover of Iraq. Not nearly so noble.

[See above.]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Soficrow, again right to the point, thankyou.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
yes...

it IS a wasted life...

if you are fighting (in a war) for someone else (like bush or america) and you die you just wasted your life for something that is not you...

fighting for something or someone else is stupid...

this war is not meant to be fought by US trrops because this war does not involve US troops (think about how we went into Iraq...it was illegal in international law)...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

IMO - most "news" on ATSNN regurgitates White House Press Releases almost verbatim, like the mainstream news sources.

My articles provide an alternate viewpoint, and balance out the government propaganda. This does not make ATSNN an anti-war website - it just waters down the poison polluting our airways.

And FYI - "Human Interest" is a legitimate component to mainstream news. If you had bothered with the link, you would have seen the source was pulled from AP - a mainstream service.

I agree with you Sofi. No one should expect to get the real story of anything that is happening in the world from only the mainstream media. All I can say is Thank God for the alternative views and the internet!

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by dirk d
Just throwin this out Im in Iraq now and am Anti-War. I dont support this war or its goals but I do support freedom and yours and my right to support what we feel is right even if wrong. Its not a all or nothing deal. Many before us have died to see less freedom. Do get misguide to think if youre not a supporter of the war or even us troops your not an american. Our job is to make sure you have an environemnt that will let you think or say what you please not make a few oil cornies richer. If we can make that difference now history will. Remember those who have died in the past for freedom and don't let far right tell you youre not an american!!!

Thanks for sharing that with us Dirk. Were you enlisted at the time of the invasion, or did you enlist later on? If the latter, why did you enlist if you are anti-war, or is it something that happened later as you saw the war progress? The reason I ask that is that the U.S., more often than not is in a conflict somewhere in the world, so the chances of having to ship out are quite high at any time you are in the U.S. army.

I'm not criticizing or anything...just curious. I admire your bravery and ability to say what you feel.

Try and stay safe...and keep posting!

AL

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Grady--I picture you with your wworn-out fatigue jacket standing in front of the mirror telling yourself what a hero you are. Give it up--we were duped into another corporate war and I knew as soon as left Viet Nam with our tail between our legs. Give it up.

[edit on 5-3-2005 by kazi]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi
Grady--I picture you with your wworn-out fatigue jacket standing in front of the mirror telling yourself what a hero you are. Give it up--we were duped into another corporate war and I knew as soon as left Viet Nam with our tail between our legs. Give it up.

You picture wrong so give it up. You're incredibly ingnorant and you and those like you are wasting your lives because there is nothing more important than your life and your own self gratification. We didn't leave Vietnam with our tails between our legs, we left because cowards and traitors like you turned our own country, especially the campuses, into riot zones.

Why don't you do the rest of us a favor and end it all, so you don't waste precious resources that can be used by those with some character and fortitude.

Edited for clarity

[edit on 05/3/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Give it up--we were duped into another corporate war and I knew as soon as left Viet Nam with our tail between our legs. Give it up.

You're incredibly ingnorant and you and those like you are wasting your lives because there is nothing more important than your life and your own self gratification.

Why don't you do the rest of us a favor and end it all, so you don't waste precious resources that can be used by those with some character and fortitude.

Kazi - I don't think you're ignorant.

Grady - there are two sides to this story, at least. ...My post above shows exactly what kind of freedom we gave the Iraqis - and what we took. Check it out.

Source

[edit on 5-3-2005 by soficrow]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join