It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Andrew Yang's Plan For Veteran's Services Has Serious Merit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Andrew Yang's campaign released details of a veteran's services plan they call "More Than a Handshake". It should also be noted that this plan is NOT a typical Democrat "vets are victims" type of plan, but a serious and practical plan that I think should be given more than just cursory consideration:

The Federalist

One of the major tenets of Yang’s plan includes changing the domestic certifications required for jobs at home that use skills attained in the service.

I'm a Blackhawk helicopter crew chief. There are NO ground schools around for my A & P license where I live. I would have to travel far and it would be prohibitively expensive to achieve. The military spent a HUGE amount of money training me only to let me out into the civilian population with a marketable skill I still needed to pony up to get, so I couldn't use it. I was an excellent crew chief and was the only one I knew at my rank with a technical inspector position. I managed a fleet of 10 helicopters and the flight schedules of each around various intervals of maintenance and mission requirements. When I went over to QC I was responsible for 30 helicopters and their proper maintenance. None of that experience counts outside of the military. It was only ever good for the conversation.

88M(truck driver military occupational specialty code - MOS) drive and maintain large vehicles and regularly drive long haul with explosive materials, fuels, food, and other uses. They don't get CDLs or even pipeline access to for a CDL in terms of training prerequisites for the license. No truck driving school will honor the experience of uniformed long-haul and hazmat certified drivers with years of experience and some of it in combat. That's a travesty and a misuse of real talent.

Regardless, I'm doing fine and have chosen a different career path anyway. However, I wish my military experience was good in the private sector. I think this idea could go a long way toward really helping veterans transition into civilian life, which I can attest is no easy task.

There are parts of this plan that I view as identitarian nonsense:

Under the plan’s “Veterans Health Initiative,” the campaign expects to cut veteran suicide rates by at least half by spending more on prevention efforts and research. In addition, the proposal includes more funding for doctors who specialize in women and transgender health issues and provides options for these veterans to seek treatment outside of VA services. Yang also wants to fund research into marijuana and other currently controlled substances to analyze their impacts on PTSD and pain management.

The transgender thing needs to not be given any more rope. This is bad for society and it is definitely bad for the military. Sorry if you're offended by that. I can't help you.

The rest of this plan consists of generally good ideas. I think this is an avenue President Trump should pursue at least with regard to MOS certification.

Andrew Yang is making it a habit of addressing some serious issues that most people, including President Trump, aren't discussing. I speak, of course, of automation. Andrew Yang and I disagree fundamentally on how to get there, but we both identify similar problems with the transition period regardless of whose idea works better. Now he's coming out with a serious (mostly) plan for veteran's issues that I view as practical. For serious democrats who aren't caught up too much in identitarianism, it might behoove you to take a serious look at Andrew Yang.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Andrew Yang is legit, I've been saying it. He's not very charismatic, but he could be a good VP. He's smart and he has a plan for everything, and it's actually a well thought out plan, not just some speech written for him.

Also like his ideas on value added taxes on robotization that will in the near future cost Americans many jobs. Jobs that were once taxed, and if replaced by robots, not only cause a loss of work but also loss of taxes. Robots have to be taxed in the future, the same way a human would be or we will have masses of unemployable people and corporations that have free profit through robots.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
What the military needs to do is give you a properly filled out DD-214.
The one-liner descriptions and code for what you did in the military is a joke. The civilian world cannot really deal with it and does not want to research it in that condition.

It needs to be quantified, and broken down into the present job qualifications ratings and codes. You can take your DD-214 to many universities, and some will break it down for you, even showing/giving course credits for what you have done.

Until the military starts to get real about this, I suggest to anyone leaving the service to get a university to break down your ratings to something that employers can deal with.
edit on 22-7-2019 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-7-2019 by charlyv because: s

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Salute to for your service. I was an 88M truck driver. I know for a fact I'm a better truck driver than almost all out there. For one, I had no power steering. I was hauling massive amounts of weight, always checking route clearances. A real pro. I could back my load up in a circle in pitch blackness.

I eventually moved on to the engineer officer corp as a CPT but my 88M skills, that was exceptional training. My wife doesn't understand how I can back our car up into tight spots within an 8th of an inch no problem. I used those 88M skills in Afghanistan running a route clearance patrols. I could look at a situation and could tell if it was passable or not. Soldiers eventually understood I knew what the hell I was talking about.

I totally approve this measure. People underestimate military training. It is better, way better most of the time than civilian training.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I suggest to anyone leaving the service to get a university to break down your ratings to something that employers can deal with.

I just went to school for industrial electronics technology and am about to go back to school for programming and automation. I figured it would just be easier to change careers and one day take the experience with me. It's worked out so far.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Specific military MOS training is not the biggest component. It's what is learned along the journey. How to deal with managing a project, interpersonal problems, unconventional circumstances.

I took a job in IT with no IT skills. I told them them I had no IT skills. They didn't care. They wanted someone who could manage a team, adapt...find a way to make it work. They were 100% correct. I have had much success in IT using military command and control, tactics. It's very effective for IT projects.

posted on Jul, 22 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Likewise in my field.

Experience is everything in aviation.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:10 AM
link   
The military has had apprenticeship programs for years now and there are lots of other classes and tools for those transitioning out of service that help members write resumes and translate military skills to the civilian world.

A lot of it is mandatory to attend before you get out.
I know they didn't do a good job of it in the past, but the programs are there now and have been for quite a while now.

Ultimately, it's your future and your responsibility to take advantage of the programs.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 03:35 AM
link   
That does have serious merit. I've never figured out why military training that translates in the civilian sectors as superior training, is never given it's rightful dues & never counts for s#.

Ever wonder if the civilian earned requirements & certs, and military ones were crossover incompatible by design? I've wondered, because it just doesn't make any damn sense otherwise.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Everything Andrew Yang says has merit. But he has no chance in Hell of becoming president.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Well, not everything. He still raised his hand for healthcare for illegals and he's still pandering to SJW identitarians with the transgender BS.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Thanks for this thread. I got my TS clearance but I never knew that it would lapse totally after only like 2 years. Not that I want to work for the MIC anymore anyway but it may have been a nice tool in the background just in case.
They really need to work on integration in regards to implementing any military training into a civilian role. I noticed that officers have a lot easier time than enlisted because they have a lot of 'leadership' training like managerial skills. Well that's what a lot of my buddies were able to do in regards to consulting and executive/managerial support. I do PM work myself now.
edit on 23/7/2019 by chris_stibrany because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

"The transgender thing needs to not be given any more rope. This is bad for society and it is definitely bad for the military. Sorry if you're offended by that. I can't help you."

I agree an have said pretty much the same thing.

Simple things.......the military has managed quite well the last couple of decades with men, women, and gays in the military. There were gays in the military, long before it was ever officially sanctioned.

Transgender is a whole different ballgame. New barracks? Male/female/confused? New bathroom and upgrade every military barracks at enormous cost to accommodate a minority group? Exactly how many per 1,000 who enlist is transgender?

edit on R422019-07-23T09:42:10-05:00k427Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

"The transgender thing needs to not be given any more rope. This is bad for society and it is definitely bad for the military. Sorry if you're offended by that. I can't help you."

I agree an have said pretty much the same thing.

Simple things.......the military has managed quite well the last couple of decades with men, women, and gays in the military. There were gays in the military, long before it was ever officially sanctioned.

Transgender is a whole different ballgame. New barracks? Male/female/confused? New bathroom and upgrade every military barracks at enormous cost to accommodate a minority group? Exactly how many per 1,000 who enlist is transgender?

My best friend from BCT is gay and he was a great soldier. I agree with straight/gay who cares, but transgenders are an even tinier portion of the 'LBRHKTJLT' spectrum. Most of which I reckon regret their choices regarding that particular topic (surgeries/advocacy etc)

This needs to stop being pandered to and addressed on a case by case basis ( According to the USA/MC etc you are a male/ you are a female and are assigned to X barracks) OR outright banned in the military.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I totally agree with him on this.

My sister was a radiologist for seven years in the navy.

Once she became a civ not a single hospital was allowed to hire her even though she had been doing the same job for all that time.

She now works as a bank teller and hates it.

Yang has said a few interesting things. It's honestly to bad the media doesn't give him more air time.

www.yang2020.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Everything Andrew Yang says has merit. But he has no chance in Hell of becoming president.

That is a failure on us the voting american public.

posted on Jul, 23 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think Yang introduces some topics that most are not, which is appreciated by me, at least.

Im not sure I could ever vote for him, some of his positions are absolute dealbreakers for me, but some of the things he brings up are important.

Automation probably being the big one.. That one is really, really going to bite us if we keep kicking the metaphorical can down the road. That said, Im not sure that conversation is really being framed in the best manner. We are looking at it through "old" eyes, and I feel that does more detriment than good.

I do like this proposal. I dont know that I want him anywhere near a position like the presidency, but I do hope he spurs on some conversations that I feel we either need to have, or ones that would really benefit people like this one.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: dfnj2015

Well, not everything. He still raised his hand for healthcare for illegals and he's still pandering to SJW identitarians with the transgender BS.

Firstly, thank you for your service in the (U.S.) Army.

Now onto the topic.

In the unlikely event Yang is the 2020 dems flag bearer, his political pandering would act as a gold mine for the Trump campaign. Yang is doing his country a service by placing a UBI and now his plans for veterans services into public debate and discussion.

Yang's political end goal may involve running for governor or senator in a mid west state. Assuming his political pandering doesn't catch up with him, he has a bright political future ahead of him.
edit on 25-7-2019 by xpert11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

Yang is doing his country a service by placing a UBI and now his plans for veterans services into public debate and discussion.

I agree.

But if he sat on that stage and raised his hands for illegal alien healthcare, then he can't be said to be doing a service for this country. A UBI that would be spent on illegals, veterans services whose funding would be anemic because it's paying for a transgender's personal choices in life. This is the stuff that will ensure he will not be successful. People will tune him out if he touts this crap and his poll numbers are showing it.

Yang is NOT himself an identitarian. Every interview I've seen with him is evidence of that. He needs to stop the pandering because the vast majority of Americans on the left AND the right are rejecting identitarian politics and want to see more moderate policies out of the democratic party.

If Yang doesn't denounce identitarianism he won't have a chance in the midwest in any political endeavor.
edit on 25 7 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

join