It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Medium is Propagating Electromagnetic Waves?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

It's that not where the "Q" hail from also.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I thought I just brought the idea of Aether not existing to a screeching halt. Propping up MM doesnt change the fact that you had no answer for this. You should first adress the issue of what medium EM waves propagate through before you point out experiments that say there is no such medium. Unless you want to argue that EM waves are not waves of a medium?

I might start another thread about that line of experiments and what they mean together.

edit on 17-7-2019 by AntonGonist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: AntonGonist

We could argue so is mathematics, but it's still the language of our universe, with the constants Phi, Pi, and G waging her tail.

Are the constants really constants? Here's some outside the box thinking:

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

If space-time is not a thing then how come it's expanding?

Spacetime isnt expanding because a mathematical concept is not a thing that expands. Sheesh. You are completely besides the point. The point is that waves need a medium. Spacetime is not a medium. At best it is a mathematical description of a medium. So again, what is the medium? It has to be an Aether like medium if you want it to propagate EM waves. Can you say something that reflects on these points?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This whole thread is just an attempt at shilling for the lumeniferous aether theory.

That theory is now known as pseudoscience because we know better.

Electronics is my field of expertise and a branch of physics. There is no aether. en.m.wikipedia.org...

Please study some basic physics and get familiar with Maxwell's equations on electromagnetism. Those equations work.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AntonGonist

I thought I just brought the idea of Aether not existing to a screeching halt. Propping up MM doesnt change the fact that you had no answer for this. You should first adress the issue of what medium EM waves propagate through before you point out experiments that say there is no such medium. Unless you want to argue that EM waves are not waves?

I might start another thread about that line of experiments and what they mean together.

You did, did you?

Can you also prove that Einstein's wrong about Special Relativity?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Interesting train of thought.

Are the constants, constant? So far, they seem to be, but nobody really understands why.

Let's just say if they do vary our universe might not have turned out the way she appears.

Another interesting conundrum would be if the multiverse theory holds any weight, are the constants in another universe significantly different, and if so how could they even have formed, and what significant difference do the rules of physics follow in?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Can you say anything that has any bearing on a point I made? It doesnt seem like you can. Thank you too.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

When are you going to make a point?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I hope that this is not going to turn into a "Stars can't be seen in outer space" type thread!

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Well not according to Maxwell's equations if memory serves.

Space-time is the medium in which we exist, and for all intent and purpose very real.

Without such the singularity that spawned the big bang that is the universe could not have happened in the manner it did.

Electromagnetic waves are propagated by the oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields.

How is the Aether a requirement for electromagnetism to function?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Mitchelson, Morley and Einstein have made these points. Maxwell too. Over to you to disprove them. It doesn't seem like you can.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
I hope that this is not going to turn into a "Stars can't be seen in outer space" type thread!

Can you stop derailing my thread? Its clear that some of you have nothing meaningful to add here. You dont have to talk if you have nothing to say. Thank you.
edit on 17-7-2019 by AntonGonist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

Mitchelson, Morley and Einstein have made these points. Maxwell too. Over to you to disprove them. It doesn't seem like you can.

Unless you can explain how waves propagate without a medium, I have just disproven them. Why do you simply ignore the issue here. Do I have to repeat it ten more times? The topic here is: What medium propagates EM waves?

Can you now answer this instead of deflecting.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Diddums. I'm waiting for you to disprove Einstein, Maxwell etc. Or do you have nothing meaningful to say to do that? Thank you.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I just told you that without an Aether like medium, EM waves cant propagate. Can you say something that reflects on this?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
You've been given the answer, it just seems you want a different answer that explains more, yet no-one has that answer... proving the aether currently, is like trying to prove god.

Quite simply, the answer to "Is there an aether?", is a resounding "We don't know.", but if there is, there's no known way to prove it and it doesn't appear to matter to make things work in our current model of the universe (electricity works).

In a sense, what everyone is saying, is that the aether is space-time... and we don't really understand what is happening at the very deepest levels of our "model" of space-time... it may be aether like, but we don't now how to test for it further than we already have.

Can you propose a repeatable test, that may reveal the substance of the aether? There's a Nobel Prize in it for you if you can!

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: AntonGonist

I just told you that without an Aether like medium, EM waves cant propagate. Can you say something that reflects on this?

I'm sorry but just because you told me something does not make it so. Get off your high horse and get down to the nitty gritty.

No one knows any of this for sure but we have the best models available to us at the moment. Maxwell's laws work. If you say those models are wrong and want to advance some new-agey type woo-woo then it's up to you to come up with the goods. So far, you have not.

You just state stuff dogmatically. This is not good enough. Try harder.
edit on 17-7-2019 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: puzzlesphere

I have been given the answer and that is a resounding "We dont know"?

Well it is clear that noone has a clue. Dont know about the resounding.

I am not speculating here. This is not a debate about feelings. The point is that if EM waves are a disturbance of a medium, like science claims, there has to be a medium. So there either is a medium or EM radiation are not waves. Its simple as that.

Your excuse that science doesnt know is hilarious because then, what do you all know?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I didnt say anything about mathematical descriptions of reality not working. Can you stop derailing my thread and finally answer what medium EM waves propagate through?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join