It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Medium is Propagating Electromagnetic Waves?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AntonGonist
a reply to: neutronflux

Your source

An electromagnetic waves is propagated by the oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields.

What part of "propagated by oscillations of electric and magnetic fields" do you not understand?

The whole context....

www.physics.usyd.edu.au...

ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES

· Transverse wave.
· An electromagnetic waves is propagated by the oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields. A changing electric field produces a changing magnetic field and a changing magnetic field produces a changing electric field. Thus, an electromagnetic wave is self propagating and does not need a medium to travel through.

A progressive electromagnetic wave is a self-supporting, energy-carrying disturbance that travels free of its source.

Again.....

As a given electromagnetic wave propagates through the vacuum of space, what independent “thing” is acting upon that given electromagnetic wave to propagate that wave through the vacuum space, and that “thing” would be there if the given electromagnetic wave was absent?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

The whole context....

Your source contradicts itself, and you are too. There is no getting through to you is there.

As a given electromagnetic wave propagates through the vacuum of space, what independent “thing” is acting upon that given electromagnetic wave to propagate that wave through the vacuum space, and that “thing” would be there if the given electromagnetic wave was absent?

Nothing is acting upon an EM wave. Something is acting upon a medium which causes a disturbance called an EM wave. I have explained this about 20 times now.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AntonGonist

6 pages of "I don't understand basic physics so everyone else is stupid."

Bravo!!!!

I look forward to your next thread entitled "I don't understand the concept of gravity so it doesn't exist."

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

If my cited source contracted itself, you could answer the below..

“As a given electromagnetic wave propagates through the vacuum of space, what independent “thing” is acting upon that given electromagnetic wave to propagate that wave through the vacuum space, and that “thing” would be there if the given electromagnetic wave was absent?”

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

You

Nothing is acting upon an EM wave. Something is acting upon a medium which causes a disturbance called an EM wave. I have explained this about 20 times now.

What medium is there is any give volume of space that is totally void of mass?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   

What do you mean if.

It says:

An electromagnetic waves is propagated by the oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields. A changing electric field produces a changing magnetic field and a changing magnetic field produces a changing electric field.

And it says:

Thus, an electromagnetic wave is self propagating and does not need a medium to travel through.

Then what is an oscillating field that propagates an EM wave?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Unbelievable......you feel this wasnt answered yet?

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Right. "I got nothing to refute you, but I have to be seen saying something soooo.......you are stupid!"

I look forward to you adding something of substance.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: delbertlarson

Interesting. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I asked this question while going for my Ham Radio test, some of those 'better informed than me laughed at my naivety.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Tie No Bows!

Yes because the smart people have waves that dont need a medium even though a wave is a disturbance of a medium. Thats how smart they are. And when they try to explain it it turns out they actually do need to rely on a medium. So smart. Some are literally rocket scientists.
edit on 17-7-2019 by AntonGonist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Unbelievable......you feel this wasnt answered yet?

Not in any bases what would be present in the void of space to act as a medium.
edit on 17-7-2019 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Why do you keep talking about the vacuum of space in the first place? It has nothing to with a vacuum or air. So you read my op and my comments about the Aether and you still are at loss about what medium might fill "the void of space". Even your own science claims that there is a underlying structure, a fabric of space, so why are you hung up on your notion that space is void? You have no clue do you?
edit on 17-7-2019 by AntonGonist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Why do you keep talking about the vacuum of space in the first place? It has nothing to with a vacuum or air. So you read my op and my comments about the Aether and you still are at loss about what medium might fill "the void of space". Even your own science claims that there is a underlying structure, a fabric of space, so why are you hung up on your notion that space is void? You have no clue do you?

What are you ranting about?

Again...

From my cited source...

ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES

· Transverse wave.
· An electromagnetic waves is propagated by the oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields. A changing electric field produces a changing magnetic field and a changing magnetic field produces a changing electric field. Thus, an electromagnetic wave is self propagating and does not need a medium to travel through.

A progressive electromagnetic wave is a self-supporting, energy-carrying disturbance that travels free of its source. The light from the Sun travels through space (no medium) for only 8.3 minutes before arriving at Earth. Each form of electromagnetic radiation (radiowaves, microwaves, infrared, light, ultraviolet, x-rays and g rays) is a web of oscillating electric and magnetic fields inducing one another. A fluctuating electric field (electric charges experience forces) creates a magnetic field (moving charges experience forces) perpendicular too itself, surrounding and extending beyond it. That magnetic field sweeping off to a point further in space is varying there, and so generates a perpendicular electric fields that spreads out. Nothing is actually displaced in space like a water wave where the water oscillates up and down and side-ways.

Let’s see. Why would I keep referring to an electromagnetic wave traveling through the vacuum of space. Because in space, there are areas totally void of anything. Thus clearly demonstrates that electromagnetic waves do not require a medium to travel through. That electromagnetic waves are self propagating.

Are you trying to say electromagnetic waves need a medium?

Then what is present in the vacuum of space which would act as a medium for electromagnetic waves when an electromagnetic wave is not present.

edit on 17-7-2019 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

So you want to keep running around in circles simply ignoring my answers while you keep asking the same question......good luck with your issues.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

So you want to keep running around in circles simply ignoring my answers while you keep asking the same question......good luck with your issues.

State a clear and answerable question based in reality.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Not interested. My points are made and irrefutable as you and others have shown so well. Goodnight.

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Not interested. My points are made and irrefutable as you and others have shown so well. Goodnight.

It’s hard to refute someone’s own perceived “irrefutable” created reality. Doesn’t mean it has a bases in actual reality.

Someone might say in the absence of gasses and solids, electromagnetic radiation spirits across the ether which is the void of space. Which would be as credible as your pseudoscience. And as “irrefutable”. But BS all the same. 😊

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

He's not running around in circles... he's asking you to "show" that there is an aether, because so far "science" has been unable to do so.

You have been given two great answers (that a quick look with my level of understanding, look plausible... though really the maths is WAY beyond me) from delbertlarson and blackcrowe that provide a couple possible models, but as they have said themselves, they need to write them up better and get them peer-reviewed and published...otherwise those models may still fall apart (in other words, they aren't confirmed yet).

They also don't seem to refute popular physics as much as add another possibility to it mathematically. They also make some predictions about some experiments we could do in the future, which is great!, but we don't know how to achieve these experiments yet.

The sum total of your responses to these great posts has been "Interesting. Thank you. "... lol... and instead of discussing the content and what that may mean for the existence of an aether, you keep bleating about some undefined medium acting on EM waves.

You're also being rude and antagonistic.

Troll.
edit on 17-7-2019 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Maybe dark energy is the medium and there is no such thing as a vacuum.

Propagation of electromagnetic waves

Good point in that source you provided about the medium the wave is passing thru. Thus giving a clue that the OP is a bit obtuse to what the facts will be. So, if we really want to know how to answer your question you need to define it better.

Did you mean how is the EM wave originated?

Did you mean what is it passing thru to get here from a distant galaxy?

We can possibly answer those here.

We can teach/share knowledge of SOME Physics but not enough would maybe be a better way to say it. Understanding Physics is a Calculus based discussion at a minimum and not many think at that level is one big problem. I am not a Physicist Professor and know just enough to know I don't have enough study in that area.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join