It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: 7.1 Mag EQ Hits California

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: EndtheMadnessNow
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Really? Just doesn't seem logical to me. I'd go with fraking or those giant boring machines over snow melt.

This guy (dutchsinse) does a good job explaining seismic unrest & plate energy transfer. He postulates that If the energy does not escape outward to the east then a larger quake is possible in the next 4-5 days. (around 22 min mark) Worth a listen, imo.

www.youtube.com...

Well science thinks so so yeah probably something to it.

www.watereducation.org...

In 2017, a swarm of seismic activity occurred near California’s Long Valley Caldera in the Mammoth Mountain area. During the same period of seismic activity, the area had high levels of flooding due to snowmelt.

The 2016-2017 winter brought heavy snow that created one of the largest snowpacks ever recorded in California’s history. A record amount of snowfall occurred in the same region this year, raising the question of whether the same occurrence will happen in 2019.

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Ah, thanks for the link and that article was written in Apr 2019. So, yea could very well be a contributor. Seems Cali has too little water or too much.

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Well, I was spanked hard on my "snow melt is ridiculous" argument, wasn't I? I stand corrected, so thank you.

So, I guess we should be expecting big giant quakes out there every year that the Sierra Nevadas get extra snow then. When was the last time the area had a quake this big? So I guess they had big snow melts that year?

I'm believing you all, and the links/quotes, and science (9 years of measurements, says the one snippet). Still seems like a super simplistic explanation though. Doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

No, not every year. I think it's until the aquifers either refill or collapse completely. But the idea is that the hollow spaces of the empty aquifers are unstable and the weight of the snow depresses the ground above those empty, unstable spaces causing possible stress from flexing ground around those voids.

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: EndtheMadnessNow

Dutch is an idiot, imho

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I just came across him today. Seemed to know what he was talking about but then I don't know jack about seismology/geology.

Any recommendation or should I just stick with USGS?

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   

USGS, PNSN (John Vilade is a member here), EMSC, GEOFON are all good direct data sources.

Check your PMs btw.
edit on 6-7-2019 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Still seems like a super simplistic explanation though. Doesn't it?

Yeah, I would say just one factor. Kind of like the quakes when they filled Lake Powell, they fought about it because many thought the change in weight on the earth could not cause quakes but they know now because when the lake went so low and refilled it happened again.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: toysforadults

Earthquakes in an area with several active fault lines. Who would have thunk that would happen. It's GOT to be caused by the base.

No sarcasm.. China? No.. not by a million.
Plate tectonics.. oh hell yes!

Plate tectonics and the magma is moving, maybe because of the Magnetic Pole shift. Maybe from the increased energy from Galactic Cosmic Waves, since we are supposedly passing through a field that is stronger than we were experiencing before 2012.

This is on the subject of pinpointing some of the sources of high energy bursts of energy that we detect:

httdps://phys.org/news/2019-06-astronomers-history.html

Exactly what creates these high-energy surges of long waves at the far end of the electromagnetic spectrum remains the subject of intense debate, though scientists now agree they originate in far away galaxies.

A primer on the waves here
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Really? Just doesn't seem logical to me. I'd go with fraking or those giant boring machines over snow melt.

This guy (dutchsinse) does a good job explaining seismic unrest & plate energy transfer. He postulates that If the energy does not escape outward to the east then a larger quake is possible in the next 4-5 days. (around 22 min mark) Worth a listen, imo.

www.youtube.com...

In 2017, a swarm of seismic activity occurred near California’s Long Valley Caldera in the Mammoth Mountain area. During the same period of seismic activity, the area had high levels of flooding due to snowmelt.

The 2016-2017 winter brought heavy snow that created one of the largest snowpacks ever recorded in California’s history. A record amount of snowfall occurred in the same region this year, raising the question of whether the same occurrence will happen in 2019.

And of course Science said it, ane w all know* they never get things wrong. PLUS they snow pack is how Glaciers start. Go to divert our attention from the amount of snow and the actual Global Cooling that has made the so called "Climate" scientist of the UN look stupid.

Spin of their agenda talking points are the only way they work.

(* yea right. Oh, can i offer you a nice price on a bridge to nowhere?)

edit on 7-7-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No, not every year. I think it's until the aquifers either refill or collapse completely. But the idea is that the hollow spaces of the empty aquifers are unstable and the weight of the snow depresses the ground above those empty, unstable spaces causing possible stress from flexing ground around those voids.

That wont cause a 7.1 however.

That will cause sinkholes to collapse when it rains and rock slides.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

Dutch is an idiot, imho

An somewhat educated one at that, but he might be smarter than idiot. I wouldn't be so fast to agree with his opinions either JC.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

No. But if there is stress on a fault system, and you have rocks flexing, well, it could cause that slip to get started if it was already on hair trigger.

Who knows?

I get the sense that right now, no one out there does know for sure what's going on. This situation is unlike what they've seen.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

www.youtube.com...

And of course Science said it, ane w all know* they never get things wrong. PLUS they snow pack is how Glaciers start. Go to divert our attention from the amount of snow and the actual Global Cooling that has made the so called "Climate" scientist of the UN look stupid.

Well no one is asking you to believe it.
edit on 7-7-2019 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

www.youtube.com...

Well no one is asking you to believe it.

But people are believing it and I am a skeptic. As a Scientist I like to consider all options and not the emotional aspect of what it means. Data suggests the Earth goes thru extreme changes and thrusts things miles in the Air like the Himalaya's and sinks things to the bottom like the mythical Atlantis. Myths aside there are lots of reason to believe the upward and downard movement have nothing to do with Snow weight on the landscape.

Yes some minor damage to the very top of the crust in narrow bands but no way IMO a 7.1 from a bit of water on Mtn tops.

edit on 7-7-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Showed up earlier..
You called it

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Thank you much!

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

So this leads to the question: "Is there a magma chamber getting reloaded?"

This many quakes in such a defined path does seem to lead to this as a possible conclusion since a known fault isn't there. If this thought is correct, then our next question shouldn't be about the next major quake but rather which volcano is getting a magma boost?

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
a reply to: Bigburgh

So this leads to the question: "Is there a magma chamber getting reloaded?"

This many quakes in such a defined path does seem to lead to this as a possible conclusion since a known fault isn't there. If this thought is correct, then our next question shouldn't be about the next major quake but rather which volcano is getting a magma boost?

I think that has a real possibility. In the news lately, areas around the Hawaii volcano's Kilauea and Mona Lao are seemingly always having foreshocks before and during eruptions.

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The energy from an earthquake in one place transfers to other locations along the plate boundaries.
The arrows on this map show the usual direction of movement from one event to another.

So far the recent 7.1 has not transferred energy across to the mid-west and seems locked into current location with thousands of smaller quakes and some movement on to the adjacent San Andreas.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join