It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purchasing From Steam-Never Again!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: Nyiah

a reply to: Archivalist

All these analogies in defense of Steam are cracking me up.

Screw Steam for housing bad products and keeping them on the shelf. Honestly this is what you guys are defending LUL.

I will not buy with them again. You can, go for it.

you're going to probably run into it more often than you care to consider

I already have. With Steam. It sucks. That's why I'm done purchasing with them.

Jeez you guys won't just accept it.

You're still trying to blame the storefront for the specs the studios have control of. If you can't wrap your mind around it, then you need to invest in old consoles and discs/cartridges, and play via those old consoles. That's the only way you can be 100% certain of compatibility.

So the front of shop has no responsibility for quality control? You have a game with numerous complaints from other users about the same issues and just keep it on sale?

That's pretty disingenuous for a 'storefront' to do. If you can't wrap your head around why that is a BS move on their part then LUL.

edit on 30-6-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Ummm no one is trying to make you buy from Steam. We're trying to tell why when you buy a bad product at a store, it isn't the store's fault you bought it. Steam has all kinds of games from really, really bad ones to really, really good ones. I always do my due diligence before I buy something from Steam.

One man's trash is another man's treasure on there.

It sounds a lot to me like you expected Steam to be something it wasn't. All it is is a digital retailer of game developer's products. Steam developed the client that hosts all those different publisher's games like a video game version of Amazon. If you buy something crappy off of Amazon, is it their fault for letting you buy it?

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Ummm no one is trying to make you buy from Steam. We're trying to tell why when you buy a bad product at a store, it isn't the store's fault you bought it. Steam has all kinds of games from really, really bad ones to really, really good ones. I always do my due diligence before I buy something from Steam.

One man's trash is another man's treasure on there.

It sounds a lot to me like you expected Steam to be something it wasn't. All it is is a digital retailer of game developer's products. Steam developed the client that hosts all those different publisher's games like a video game version of Amazon. If you buy something crappy off of Amazon, is it their fault for letting you buy it?

There is competition among seller's on Amazon. Reputation counts. There is none on Steam.

But you're totally right in that I should have scoped out the comments sections a bit more before opening my wallet.

edit on 30-6-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

There is competition among seller's on Amazon. Reputation counts. There is none on Steam. 

You don't read user reviews?

Steam even shows you how many hours the reviewer has been playing the game.

I usually spend about an hour going through the reviews before I even consider buying a game.

The review system on Steam is far better than Amazon.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Steam has a review system, a rating system, and a support staff.

They do their part.
If a developer's port has issues that the developer will not resolve, Steam will likely issue your credit or a full refund depending on circumstances.

Now, imagine the same situation, without Steam involved.

Let's say you bought a port direct from a developer, and had the same issues. You would be at the whim of the developer's customer support.

Steam is a larger entity, as such, they will have a superior support process to most developers. Steam has resources for having a full time support staff, large enough to handle their customer base. Individual developers and studios, do not necessarily have the means to maintain the infrastructure that Steam provides.

I had a developer direct issue recently with a game developed in Korea.
The support was so abysmal, I cut my losses on the purchase, and refuse to play their game any more. $70, I might as well have just lit the money on fire.

That same situation with Steam as my middle man, would have been preferable.
edit on 30-6-2019 by Archivalist because: Meh

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   

What do you mean there is no competition?

How many games are there you could buy on Steam?

They are all competing for your dollar. You can sort games by genre, etc., there are ton of space sims alone, several different farming simulators, etc.

I will grant you that I think there is only one goat simulator still, but man, that's a ton of variety and competition.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well it's their fault for making me want it so bad!

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   

And the world wept.

Steam will give you a door and show you the way out if you cant figure it out without butthurting so much

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Wow, ya'll triggered!

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

The ports are terrible in regards to controls and the games just don't 'feel' right. Even better my MS xbox controller is either not supported or just won't work with many games I've tried so far. I'd hardly call that controller support.

And how in HADES is that Steam's fault ?

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

If you are on a PC , try Gog (Good Old Games)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

The ports are terrible in regards to controls and the games just don't 'feel' right. Even better my MS xbox controller is either not supported or just won't work with many games I've tried so far. I'd hardly call that controller support.

And yet they advertise that they support Sony and MS controllers etc. I suppose that's not their fault either.

I don't see the big controversy. They're the carnival tent that hosts a bunch of crappy ports. And yet here is everyone defending them tooth and nail.

Triggered mucho!

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   

What did you want us to do?

Ignore your logical fallacies and tell you that we feel your pain because none of us have ever blamed the retailer for the product that you weren't forced to buy?

With all due respect, I think it may be you that's triggered.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

And yet they advertise that they support Sony and MS controllers etc. I suppose that's not their fault either.

I don't see the big controversy. They're the carnival tent that hosts a bunch of crappy ports. And yet here is everyone defending them tooth and nail.

Triggered mucho!

PS 4 ? On Windows ? You are kiddin me ., yes ? Good one.
You do know that you have to run emulator software in Windows to run Sony controllers , yes ?

Or , try Steam > Settings > Controller . Configure controller there . You will be glad you did.

Of course they support MS controllers. I use nothing but Rock Candy XBox controllers on Windows 10. Native support. Wireless even.

I am not defending anyone or anything
I am just taking you to school.
Ring the bell , school is in...
AMA PC related...
Especially old games
I run the original Wasteland (80s) , Wizard's Crown(80s) , and many others with no issue . Of course along with a lot of modern day games .
1 PC for High End games
1 PC for Mid to High End including the old , old ones .
And I can spell DOSBox

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Nice troll. Steam is only a marketplace.
The companies who made and ported games are ones responsible for the bad quality, not Steam.
If you want to blame it, do it for the crimes its guilty of, do not make up new things.
edit on 20America/ChicagoSun, 30 Jun 2019 20:43:51 -0500000000pm2019-06-30T20:43:51-05:0030432019-06-30T20:43:51-05:00 by Heruactic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Heruactic

Nice troll.

No. I'm just that dumb apparently.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I've had very very few issues with steam and I've had an account since 2004 when I was a teenager.

Check reviews and get a refund before three hours of playtime.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Maybe you should have read the reviews first.

Most of those reviews will reveal if theres a problem with certain machines , or with the ports etc.

If you didnt, thats on you.

Like everyone else has said, it seems odd youre ire is placed on the store and not the devs.

Maybe its more of an issue with your system than the games even, there are plenty of dif things that could cause a problem.

I have used steam since they first cropped up , and any issue I have ever had I got a full refund.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Steam is great!

But after using it for years, I have some advice for you.
Before you buy any games, make sure you read the reviews and research what is on steam about the game.

There were a lot of games I thought I wanted until I read the reviews from steam members.
People are pretty quick to point out if the game sucks or not..lol

I own over 60 titles on steam, and love it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join