It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purchasing From Steam-Never Again!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I've been told to try out Steam for years. It's the greatest. It's the best.

I have always been the type to prefer physical copies of games, music, movies whatever.

But hunting down some retro games can be an expensive chore.

I caved and started purchasing from Steam.

I've bought about 5-6 games so far in the last few months. I have had issues with all but maybe 1 or 2.

The ports are terrible in regards to controls and the games just don't 'feel' right. Even better my MS xbox controller is either not supported or just won't work with many games I've tried so far. I'd hardly call that controller support.

None of these games ever felt this terrible or were this difficult to control. I tried out a couple on emulators just to see if it was bad memory or just bad ports.

You've taken my last dollar, Steam!

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Can't do a steam refund?

And you realize it's the dev's of a company who make # ports of games.

Im sick of retro games ported to mobile then posmobile ported to pc
edit on 30-6-2019 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Yep I got what I paid for.

I don't even care about the 20-30 dollars. I just wanted to play some games. Kinda hard to do when the ports are unplayable.

I'd rather spend twice as much on a game that works.

edit on 30-6-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Steam is a store, you should be pissed at the people that made the games and not the store.

But there is hope for you, steam will refund you 100% if you haven`t played more then two hours. (within 14 days)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sanitarium79

Steam is a store, you should be pissed at the people that made the games and not the store.

Yes and I won't be shopping at this store again. I'm sure some games are fine.

But I'm not going to search through mountains of trash just to find a few decent offerings. If I wanted to do that I'd subscribe to Netflix again.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Which one? I don't buy any old ff games square enix best ff6 port was for like one of the game boys.

I sick of dev's releasing half assed games period.

I own quite a few vaporware games
edit on 30-6-2019 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I've never had an issues with steam.
I'm a very happy customer with over 20 games from them. Most of which I do actually play lol.

The ports are terrible in regards to controls and the games just don't 'feel' right. Even better my MS xbox controller is either not supported or just won't work with many games I've tried so far. I'd hardly call that controller support.

I use xpadder with my xbox 360 controller when I play steam games. Works fantastically.
I recently been kicking butt in soulcaliber 6 with it.

If you don't want to buy that you can get joy to key for free. I used it to play steam games before I got xpadder and it works just as good. I only switched to xpadder because it is more user friendly. Easier to set up controls.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Idk if you like gog.com

But soon you can play your steam games thru them.

Also if you want older game gog the spot they actually patch them to work on modern pc

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

You guys would be much better off with an emulator or getting a fan remake if your into retro games.

The bonus is that you get the same great game play but with upgraded graphics.

I played ff7 on the playstation emulator with better graphics and shaders. It looked soo good.

Some of the emulators like the super nintindo, n64, and wii ones even have online play.

I play zombies ate my neighbors, mario cart wii, and mario 64 online with people from asia.
Yes, there is a two player version of mario 64 on the online n64 emulator. You play at the same time on the same map. It's really cool.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

But I'm not going to search through mountains of trash just to find a few decent offerings. If I wanted to do that I'd subscribe to Netflix again.

Fair enough, only you can decide where you want to shop.
Not that there are many options beside steam, or options that are nearly as good.

Reminds me a bit of the old steakhouse dilemma. A guy goes to a steakhouse and orders his steak "well done", and then wonders why the steak is tough and also decides the steakhouse is garbage because the steak was tough.

edit on 30-6-2019 by Sanitarium79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Fair enough, only you can decide where you want to shop.
Not that there are many options beside steam, or options that are nearly as good.

Reminds me a bit of the old steakhouse dilemma. A guy goes to a steakhouse and orders his steak "well done", and then wonders why the steak is tough and also decides the steakhouse is garbage because the steak was tough.

I'll be supporting my local antique stores for gaming from now on.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Sail the seas complete ya retro library 4 free

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I already do.

Been using steam for 15yrs.

But gog 2.0 I'll make switch

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I dont really understand why any of this causes ire towards steam.. Its like being pissed at best buy because Samsung made a crappy product.

Id refund 'em.

Luckily though, there are plenty of other options both digital and hard copy. Just.. You know.. Dont expect those specific games to run any better because its a physical product.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Nice to know GoG has an active ATS account.

PS - Anyone praising Steam isn't praising it for it's ports.

If my friends tell me a cake is delicious if I eat it... And I buy the cake and attempt to use it to paint my home, and the cake makes for a very bad paint substitute, I don't tell my friends that they were wrong about cake being delicious.

Valve doesn't code the ports. Afaik, the porting of a game for Steam is handled by the original developers, or license owners as contracted through a third party development company or third party game studio.

Valve and Steam have nothing to do with how poorly the porting process goes.
If you have issues attempt a support ticket or a refund. However, if you're critiquing Steam based on it's ability to give you a specific playing experience for a game, that you played 20 years ago, you are frankly, an idiot.

edit on 30-6-2019 by Archivalist because: No

edit on 30-6-2019 by Archivalist because: As nice as I can put it

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Yeah, that's a bit of a stupid reason to be pissed at Steam. That'd be like me having a hissy fit over how lousy some Kelloggs product tastes and trying to blame that poor taste on Meijer for selling it. I'd have to say to myself, "Wait, no dingdong, that's not how it works, Meijer didn't make the crappy food product, blame the company that actually did." Durr.

I've never had an issue with Steam OR GoG, but buyer be acutely aware -- not every old game is going to transition well to modern systems.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

All these analogies in defense of Steam are cracking me up.

Screw Steam for housing bad products and keeping them on the shelf. Honestly this is what you guys are defending LUL.

I will not buy with them again. You can, go for it.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Screw Steam for housing bad products and keeping them on the shelf. Honestly this is what you guys are defending LUL.

No, those products generally work fine on systems they're tailored for in-house before they hit Steam. Yours obviously wasn't one of them. Deal with it cupcake, you're going to probably run into it more often than you care to consider, even via GoG.

Edit: For example, the original Myst via Gog will run just fine on our desktop. It crashes my laptop. Guess which one's guts it was optimized for? Not my laptop.
edit on 6/30/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

you're going to probably run into it more often than you care to consider

I already have. With Steam. It sucks. That's why I'm done purchasing with them.

Jeez you guys just won't accept it.

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

you're going to probably run into it more often than you care to consider

I already have. With Steam. It sucks. That's why I'm done purchasing with them.

Jeez you guys won't just accept it.

You're still trying to blame the storefront for the specs the studios have control of. If you can't wrap your mind around it, then you need to invest in old consoles and discs/cartridges, and play via those old consoles. That's the only way you can be 100% certain of compatibility.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join