It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Europe is anti-US, why does Europe still allow US bases in its territories?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn
a reply to: schuyler

Most of the bases are in Germany. The US wants power and control and of course selling more weapons. They never would allow that Russia would get close/friends with Europe = loosing power and control and selling less weapons.

Germany got €11.2 billion surplus this year...
The US are spending about 1000 billion more then they can the last few years..

Europe pays about $2.5 billion a year for those US troops. Got any numbers how much money those US bases bring in? I don't think it's all that much really.

Sure. Overall the US spends $100 billion a year in overseas bases. In NATO territory the US has about 80,000 troops deployed. The only other places where there are a significant number of troops is Japan and South Korea. $100 billion a year pours into local economies. I'd say that is significant. The reason there are so many bases in Germany is because the US took over every German military installation after WWII, some of which were quite small. Darmstadt is a good example. In recent years there has been a consolidation effort to vacate many of these sites.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

That still doesn't tell how much money it brings in Europe, sure those bases cost allot for the US but it's not all that money goes in Europe. That are just the costs for those troops/bases (salary, flying in equipment/ammo/buildings you name it).

Sure those soldiers will spend some of their money in Europe but we got ALLOT of tourists as well, not that we need that..

edit on 17-6-2019 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
We have bases in Europe because they asked us to be there. We have troops all over the world, because they were requested to be.

If we pulled our troops out of those bases, they would need to finance and train their own military.

Instead, they are depending on our military to do what theirs can't.

Don't like our troops stationed over seas?
Too bad, is faster to deploy soldiers from Germany to the mid east than it is from the east coast.

We have troops where they are needed for mobilization.

These are called forward deployed units.

Common sense says ignore the propaganda you have been spoon fed. However common sense ain't common.
edit on 17-6-2019 by ADVISOR because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I've never resented US presence over here in the UK, don't think many people I know resent it either.

We're not stupid and we know the historical reasoning behind it.

Sure, I disagree with some US policies and some times American people piss me off, and I like winding them up sometimes - I disagree with almost every policy of my own current government and plenty of British people piss me off too....doesn't mean I'm a self-hater or that I'm not aware that the world would be a damn sight worse place without US presence on the world stage.

Pretty simple really.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

Dream on. It's about maintaining world dominance/power&control.
The US never gets attacked on their mainland yet they spend like crazy on 'defense' and only making the world unsafer by doing so.
They US is by far the biggest arms dealer (their biggest and 1 of the only remaining exports) and they make sure there will be always be a market for that.

Like for example Iraq asked for US troops to be there, their county destroyed in the name of freedom&democracy&lies.

edit on 17-6-2019 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The main reason why the US is there is so that the European nations are not spending 30 to 50 percent of their yearly GDP on defense. And everyone remembers WW2.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Oh no we were scared to death of Ivan too lol...

A common misconception is that the allies beat the nazi’s... they did not..

The red army beat the nazis.

America accounted for like 5% of the conflict.

The eastern front like 80%.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ronaldo27

Because then they would have to pay for their own military and protection.

Yes, most European countries have a military but they are not globally expeditionary. They are not commensurate with their populations, threats, and foreign interests.

They utilize Uncle Sam's resources. Part of that arrangement is having the US military camped out on their soil.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
It's simple. With US bases and the US military there Europe does not have to pay for its own defense. This allows them to build their social welfare states. The economic impact of large US bases is huge. It's just like in the US. If a large military base closes, the surrounding towns go into a recession. If the Us just got up and left, it would cause a huge disruption. They may bad mouth the US, but they really like the US dollars

That's a rather naïve outlook on things.

Most European nations have their own weapons programs, programs and products that are equally comparable to the US military or any other pushing to be capable of "modern warfare" these weapon systems are often designed, developed and produced at home... Seemingly a damn sight cheaper than what the US produces too! But hey we're talking about the money grabbing European's right?

But it's definitely worth mentioning other nation's obligations to NATO, the R & D commitments, financial commitments... You'll find that most European nations operate exactly like the US, we like "home developed" technologies as well as collaborating with our allies. It's not a one way street and each country on earth has a duty to it's own sovereignty, security and development.

It's worth noting that European nations haven't geared up to literally be capable of fighting the whole world, but you know well enough that this was never about finances or production... It was about the USSR.

Your military wants global projection. It wants to achieve that via NATO and on it's own capacity.

I guess things are better than the cold war days right? Maybe NATO should be dissolved, I mean technically Europe as a whole could flatten a continent if we needed to and it's not like nuclear weapons can't be leased. Still, not of that would stop your nation's want for global projection...

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   

we can't vote on: US bases out of Europe!

Yes you can, stop giving me excuses!

But damn the US is really really bad&evil, can't believe it how bad it is today!

Then why are you still letting them in? Oh my God! Aren't you afraid that they might turn on you?

damn--- it has become an abomination.

Good reason to kick them out; what are you waiting for?

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

No, the Germans loved Hitler,

I'm talking about now!

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
It all goes back to World War 2.

Once Germany finally fell, The USSR or now Russia got the East side of Berlin, the Allies or now US,UK and others got the west side of Berlin. The Allies helped set up NATO for European self defense and have since worked closely together, mostly.

I don't care about this history, I care about now.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:47 PM
link   

time to get sober&real.

So when is that going to happen?

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Yea time for Europe for looking at China/Russia and getting real progress and not following the US wishes, which is bad for Europe and the rest of the world.

Then what are you doing about it then? Oh let me guess, just talking about it on some dumb website, correct!?

OR you can't do it, which is it really? You can or you can't?

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhaleEurope is Continent with many nations/countries.

And I already told you that the eurolanders have had the same complaints despite being different like what you said!

originally posted by: InhaleExhaleIts no wonder so many see so much negativity.

You're right because you are negative. There are solutions to your problems but it seems like you are afraid to take them and are instead venting off, again, as if that's going to do anything.

originally posted by: InhaleExhaleHowever I think you are a young and your arrogance wont allow you to take any criticism maturely

Believe whatever you want to believe also I'm tired of criticizing, I want solutions.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: ronaldo27

What makes you think Europe is anti the US ?

Sigh....

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnnyHe has watched nothing but conservative media where they pretend like all the world is in a vast conspiracy against conservatism and America...

Is brainwashing the only argument you can come up with, can't you eurolanders come up with something better?

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
This allows them to build their social welfare states.

This is why I despise them. I'm sure, despite being rare, there are good kind ones but Jesus, most of them are horrible people but the difference between me and them, is I actually do something about my problems and they are my problems and I will do something to them.

How arrogant and condescending of them.

Leeches.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Europe pays about $2.5 billion a year for those US troops.

How stupid are you eurolanders? You want them out and yet you pay for them?

Which one exactly is it? Do you want them out or not?

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: PluginnDream on. It's about maintaining world dominance/power&control.

So eurolander, why isn't your benevolent EU stopping them?

originally posted by: PluginnLike for example Iraq asked for US troops to be there, their county destroyed in the name of freedom&democracy&lies.

Again, eurolander, why didn't you stop or are you all talk? Come on now! What happened those big ripe balls that allowed you to rule the world!?

See, America, this arrogant euro here is what makes me wonder why on Earth is the US still allied with them.

Yeah keep dreaming because you are all going to ... before that happen!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join