It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elizabeth warren, college for all, debt cancellation

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I put myself through college about 5 decades ago. It was really difficult to finance your own education back then just as it is now.

I want a piece of this action. I did have some loans but paid them off decades ago.

If you're going to pay some of the people, then you need to pay all of the people who went to college. You can't just pay those who took out massive loans.

I worked while in college because I didn't want to borrow any more money than I had tool

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Certainly in many situations parents are the number one motivator when it comes to kids succeeding.

And in many cases education will not help. But in this country if a child has the ability to succeed. we should be doing everything to help that child succeed.

We absolutely want and need more people to be educated so that they can encourage their children to be educated as well and so on. It helps us to be better as a society.

If we were to look upon a Trump example country that's great. We can look at Norway. Education is basically free. We should do it as well. Or figure out a way to make online classes available to everyone

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

For many in this country, K-12 basically is free. The problem is that it's also mandatory in terms of where you child must go and what program you child must receive. We treat children like assembly line products rather than individual human beings. So sure, those kids who want to get ahead from poor areas who have parents who do try to make sure they succeed are doing their best, but they're trapped in classrooms loaded with junior gangbangers who behave like junior gangbangers.

Meanwhile, the curriculum is a neverending experiment larded down with social engineering and the next latest and greatest theory as to how we equalize our learning outcomes for all students. Right now in math, we have to turn every math problem, even the simplest math fact, into a 12 step algebraic formula so that kids can be rewarded for showing their process even if they get the wrong answer in the end, but kids who intuitively understand math, or kids for whom the mechanical writing/drawing process is sheer torture are punished for not showing the process even if they provide the correct answer.

Reading for decades has been a battle between phonics and sight words. Research shows that phonics really has the best success with the widest range of kids, but even it isn't perfect because there are some kids who need sight words due to specific learning issues, but even that's sight words in conjunction with phonics.

And all of this is due to a system with zero flexibility where parents can be jailed for trying to send kids to a different school (zip code fraud) if they don't have the money to outright make different educational arrangements to suit a unique learner's needs.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

She also wants to use EOs to make people exercising their second amendment rights criminals. Not that it would hold up in court, but she is a huge moron.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

That's Kamala I thought, no Warren. Kamala also agrees with Bernie that once you're in jail, you should absolutely vote from there.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This is not a terrible idea but it needs to be packaged together with tax incentives for poor people to not reproduce. After all, if you don't have 100 million extra uneducated nitwits in the first place, you don't need trillions of dollars you don't have to educate them.

I really do wonder if people would voluntarily sterilize themselves if the government offered them a substantial reward for it. That is a curiosity I'd love to see satisfied.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
If a law were enacted that required viewpoint diversity on college campuses effectively ending the indentitarian left's monopoly on academia and ability to cultivate "voters" at will that enables their political power structure, do you you suppose the indentitarian left would still be feigning compassion for sufferers of student debt and advocating for free college? My guess would be no.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: superman2012

On paper that looks good but it ultimately stifles ingenuity. For one it would absolutely kill the liberal arts and push those students towards STEM studies. But even then those STEM students are going to be too worried about conforming to the corporate structure to actually make any worthwhile breakthroughs.

I don't know about that. I believe that those that would give up something they're passionate about weren't too passionate about it in the first place.
You'll always have people that think outside the box and achieve what they really want if they're passionate enough.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Xcalibur254

You know damn well there would be diversity quotas to meet leaving more qualified students being left out.

Yeah, I don't see how you get around it when the mission is "equality".

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Seems to me that we A) need to overhaul education at every level, and B) include within that overhaul the tools and knowledge for students to make better informed decisions about their finances. Because the schools and most parents today are obviously not doing a good job of it as it stands.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: grey580

Welcome to the European Model of Education.

But some people would rather complain about how American kids are getting "dumber" (although our IQ is actually rising) while refusing to actually admit that Europe's education model may be the reason they outrank us.

Maybe they just don't have Common Core.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Everyone loves them everything European, but one thing they don't realize is that the very thing many parents want and are denied time and again in the US system -- school choice -- is active in France and has been since the late 1950s. A system where the state money follows the student to the school of the parents' choosing, private or state. The aim, of course, is that schools of all types must compete for the students and the money the state sends with them. The best schools will have the most students or applicants.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Everyone loves them everything European, but one thing they don't realize is that the very thing many parents want and are denied time and again in the US system -- school choice -- is active in France and has been since the late 1950s. A system where the state money follows the student to the school of the parents' choosing, private or state. The aim, of course, is that schools of all types must compete for the students and the money the state sends with them. The best schools will have the most students or applicants.

Why is school choice necessary, when the almighty State knows what's best for you.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Maybe during that overhaul that actual education be added to the curriculum. Not what to think but how to think would be a game changer. And maybe if 18 year olds are making poor financial decisions that require them to be bailed out in life, then it would stand to reason that 16 year olds would also make poor voting decisions that would require us all to be bailed out in life.

There I go being all radical with my thoughts again.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Then how do we fix the problem?

edit on 23-4-2019 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The cost of college is high for the same reason health care is. reply to: scraedtosleep

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Then how do we fix the problem?

Stop with the one-size-fits-all socialized system we currently have and inject choice into it. If we want to subsidize education for children, so be it, but at least give parents some control over which schools their children should attend. Some parents will opt for the local public schools. In some places, these are fine schools, and for some children, this model works perfectly well. But sometimes, the child needs something different (my own son could do with a school that specializes in specific learning disabilities over a standard public school, for example) for reasons of learning difference or simply because a novel approach is what reaches the child and motivates him or her best. Some children have extraordinary talents that deserve to be fostered from a young age and don't get their best expression in the standard model. Some parents, yes, do prefer an educational model centered around religious mores.

The reality is that the more different schools there are, the more likely it is that you will find something that either works well for your child, best fosters his or talents, best meets his or her unique needs, or that society as a whole discovers and educational model that works extremely well for a community. And yes, some will almost certainly suck balls, but parents who want their kids to do well will also tend to avoid those schools and they'll fail or adapt and improve and succeed.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If they do this at 70 i will go back to collage.

I always wanted to go to gunsmithing school and already am a collage trained machinist so it would be easy and fast to get the training to do guns.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

She has my vote!!! I love the idea of getting rid of college debt. It will make America STRONGER in the World.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I'm sure forthright Pocahauntus' honesty will shine forth and make that happen. uh huh.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join