It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elizabeth warren, college for all, debt cancellation

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
" "We will have to have universal healthcare eventually" "
"Really? Why is that?"

The costs of the system will implode itself eventually.

And why is that?

Hint: it is directly related to the governments intervention in the system itself, especially with respect to the regulations it employs to keep the big insurance companies happy.

All that would be needed to bring costs down dramatically, is a simple regulation requiring 100% transparency - simple, easy to find transparency in the costs/pricing of all services, be it doctors in their offices, or hospitals.

I saw a documentary a few years ago, someone, I think working for a newspaper, simply picked a few popular procedures that are performed almost everywhere, and called every place that performed said procedures in a 50 mile radius (I think that is right, anyway, it was fairly small), and the difference in cost were ... incredible. Along the lines of $25,000 at one place, $1,200 at another. The exact same procedure.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: LSU2018

Engineering is a stem degree.

Science
Technology
Engineering
Math

Well damn, that'll teach me. I was under the impression you were talking about STEM cell.

Nevermind me, it's been one of those days.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

As far as I'm aware the test hasn't really changed. But scores do get recalibrated every decade or so and kids consistently score higher everytime.

Imagine how well the neanderthals would do since they were more intelligent than us, as you say.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   

How's your productivity at work when you have a sinus infection?

Now imagine you don't have the money to go to the doctor to get looked at and get the azithromycin prescription that will knock it out in a day.

Do you see how easy access to healthcare and medicine could lead to higher productivity?

You don't need universal healthcare to have access to that. How much would you raise taxes to pay for it if we did do UH? And would it exclude those who don't pay taxes?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Elizabeth warren, college for all, debt cancellation

$300 grand for degrees in White privilege, and other useless course kids will never use in their lives.

Go Commiehantus.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I would be happy if they, whomever they are, would just make online education reasonably priced. You can go to a school like DeVry and get a bachelors degree in computer technology and spend $70,000 in tuition without ever setting foot in a classroom. Sorry, but the class is pre-packaged and ready for viewing. No actual professor will be sifting through page after page of online homework. It will be done either by machine or by student aides. Hell, professors don't even review most of the students work in classrooms for that matter. And half the time its a student aide teaching the class anyway. The whole idea of automation is to reduce cost, right? So where is the cost reduction associated with automation of the education system?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

It's ironic, I live 45 minutes from Virginia tech where TT scalped their coach.

Even with rates as affordable as they were back then, my mom was pregnant with me at the time and still needed income. So she found a study they paid pregnant women to sleep with music put to their wombs... So technically I'm a Texas Tech experiment 🤣.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The debt forgiveness is sabotaging the initiative, I don't agree with that aspect.

Edit: it could be done smarter too rather than adding taxes.
edit on 23-4-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
There are worse places to be from

One day you are going to have to tell me how you got to be a yankie, lol.
Do you know what music you were exposed to?

I believe higher education should be available to those who seek it. We waste far too much money on things we get far less return from.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I believe higher education should be available to those who seek it. We waste far too much money on things we get far less return from.

Like being held hostage by teachers unions at the high school level?

And Universities?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Will President Warren reimburse me for the student loan I had to work hard to pay back?

If not, maybe I shouldn't have paid it back!

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

I suspect your concern for union politics would be better served in a separate thread?
Especially when high school is free?

I think this thread is about warrens college for all for free promise?
Tho I could be mistaken.

How does teachers union politics effect absolving people of student loan debt?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

a reply to: tanstaafl

What makes you think schools would lower their standards?

Because that is what happens when the government gets involved... everything devolves to the least common denominator.

Again, I point to the current public fool system as evidence in support.

Things would be the same but they have a larger pool to pull from.

How is this a hard concept?

It isn't hard, you just refuse to admit that when interfering in private enterprise, government always - ALWAYS - makes things worse.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Especially when high school is free?

If public school K-12 is free, I need to be reimbursed for all the taxes I have been paying, even though I had homeschooled and paid for the education of my own children.

Warren's plan is not FREE either.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Tell me right now how the consistently unproven economic model of Trickle Down is good but providing universal education/trade schooling is bad.

We could look at the universal pre-K model. We know that providing universal pre-K does not provide the gains it is claimed it will. And any early gains made are generally non-existent by the time 3rd grade is reached meaning they fade out over time when compared to non-pre-K peers.

Do you really think those results will change when applied across the board? And how do you expect them to be any different than the results we see in our now universal K-12 system, especially in places where about 50% of high school graduates are actually leaving high school functionally illiterate ... but they have that high school diploma somehow!

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I believe that higher education should be available to those who deserve it and by that I mean those who have shown the work ethic, desire, and ability not to squander the opportunity.

I mean Lori Loughlin's daughter was seeking higher education just because she heard it was an awesome party scene. Does that mean we should make it available to her ... and all the ones like her?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Exactly! My oldest daughter just completed her Master's and the youngest, her Bachelor's. They both accomplished this on their own by responsibly researching grants, scholarships, intern credits, online class credits, reselling their books to purchase the next semester books, and working 2-3 jobs to reduce the need for big loans.

The oldest is working towards her doctorate but taking a break since once again she is working her butt off to save for that degree. Youngest has yet to decide on a masters yet but is working to reduce her current student loan.

One thing they both agree on is that the majority of people their age did not appreciate their opportunity. The more elderly students returning to school definitely understood the value. There was a definite difference.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I believe that higher education should be available to those who deserve it and by that I mean those who have shown the work ethic, desire, and ability not to squander the opportunity.

I mean Lori Loughlin's daughter was seeking higher education just because she heard it was an awesome party scene. Does that mean we should make it available to her ... and all the ones like her?

Nope. No amount of school will help that airhead. Spoiled kids always blame someone or something when they fail.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

It is free to the students as they at least until 14 here can't legally hold a job.
The state universities are paid for with tax dollars as well.
And no warrans plan is not free.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   

What point of "free" college says that colleges must accept every applicant?

Look at the example set by every other 1st World Country. The best of the best can go to university. Everyone else can go to trade school.

It literally gives us the situation that so many have wanted.

Ah, but what if your kid wanted to go to University, but didn't have the grades to make it and you were a B list actor with a few million bucks? There should be a provision for them to buy a slot for their kids no?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join