It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HOA Board Member

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I know it’s not the flashiest of threads and certainly not conspiracy related. But I’m curious if anyone here has ever been an HOA board member in any capacity.

I went to our HOA board meeting last month to meet people in my new neighborhood and find out what’s going on. The land developers make up two of the board members until they leave. The other member had served his 3 years. So they were holding an impromptu election for the vacancy.

Only about 20 homes of the 200+ home community were represented and none of them volunteered for the position. If there’s one thing I hate is a room full of complaints without solutions. So I raised my hand and answered the call.

I’m not afraid of it and I know I’m not going to make a lot of friends. Already I’m getting some weird phone calls and emails from people complaining. Interestingly, the first thing I do when they reach out to me is check to see if they’ve paid their dues. It helps me determine how much I want to help them out with their complaint.

Anyway, I’m open to advice from anyone experienced in it.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: NotaBot

Sorry but I am against home owners associations. As long as people are in compliance with local ordinances I believe they should be able to do whatever the heck they want with their own houses and properties that THEY paid for. The last thing this world needs is a bunch of micro-managing busy bodies telling people what they can and cannot do with their own private property.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I've always thought it strange that a bunch of folks think they have the right to tell me what I can do with a house and property that I paid for.

And why "dues" ?
Will they pay for my new fence ? Improvements to my house ? Anything ?
I'll keep my private property to myself thanks.
And my money.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Never been HOA...but was prez of our community council...and hated every minute of it.
10% showing up for your meetings is actually a pretty good turnout.

Don't worry about becoming unpopular in your neighborhood. Our's are friends and quite popular with the neighbors.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

My advise is to know the rules and make your decisions based on that.

I ran a softball league for several years and about 95% of the issues should have never been brought up. All that was needed was a quick view of the bylaws. Coaches and parents are apparently too busy to read 2 pages.

That and prepare yourself for the onslaught of dumbass complaints.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Listen, our neighborhood needs order!

Shutters have to be eggshell white, shadow white, or chalk white... This isn't the wild west.

Medium mailboxes of the modern era. Bob put your hand down, you can't have an NFL team mailbox.

Owens Corning shingle roofs... Sandy GTFO of here with your idea for tin roofs, no.

We'll let you all express some individuality with your fences people. 4 foot picket 1 1/2 inch space. But here's where we're gonna give ya some leeway, You can leave it natural, stain it, or paint it white.

Any questions?

Next week we'll cover driveways.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Lots of people bitching about hoa's.

Kinda funny. You move there, you agree to the rules.
Pretty easy to avoid the situation.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Just for fun, you should tell everyone you're adopting the New Green Deal'...and, starting next month, you're becoming a 'Sanctuary Neighborhood' and everyone will need to retrofit their homes to become 100% compliant.
edit on 2-4-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

I've always thought it strange that a bunch of folks think they have the right to tell me what I can do with a house and property that I paid for.

And why "dues" ?
And my money.

Your property is your property. But the dues pay for the pool, landscaping, snow removal, safety issues, maintenance, etc. Helps improve property values for everyone.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: NotaBot
I know it’s not the flashiest of threads and certainly not conspiracy related. But I’m curious if anyone here has ever been an HOA board member in any capacity.

I went to our HOA board meeting last month to meet people in my new neighborhood and find out what’s going on. The land developers make up two of the board members until they leave. The other member had served his 3 years. So they were holding an impromptu election for the vacancy.

Only about 20 homes of the 200+ home community were represented and none of them volunteered for the position. If there’s one thing I hate is a room full of complaints without solutions. So I raised my hand and answered the call.

I’m not afraid of it and I know I’m not going to make a lot of friends. Already I’m getting some weird phone calls and emails from people complaining. Interestingly, the first thing I do when they reach out to me is check to see if they’ve paid their dues. It helps me determine how much I want to help them out with their complaint.

I was President of a small condo association HOA. For the most part, it was pretty straight forward. You just ensure the HOA is well run. The big thing is making sure the HOA has enough "reserves" and a good budget to maintain common areas. You want to plan ahead so that money is set aside so that major maintenance items don't require "special assessments" to pay for.

Also, developers almost always set dues too low, so you will need to raise them.

What you will find out is a lot of your neighbors probably can't see the big picture and that having a well run association is key to maintaining property values. They will scoff at any HOA due increases.

Finally, make sure you are consistent with any rule enforcement and don't go overboard. In large communities, particularly if there are a lot of retired folks without day jobs, they may see the HOA board as their little power fiefdom so you have to be careful about getting these nut jobs on the board.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Just for fun, you should tell everyone you're adopting the New Green Deal'...and, starting next month, you're becoming a 'Sanctuary Neighborhood' and everyone will need to retrofit their homes to become 100% compliant.

Whoa! I’m just trying to help my community, not get assasinated! This county is heavy on the Diabetes and Trump support...that would surely rile them all up.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

And why "dues" ?
And my money.

Because in some communities, conformity helps keep up property values; particularly in planned communities where you may not have as much yard space. I get what you are saying, but far too many people simply don't know how to be good neighbors. I don't want to live next door to Joe Redneck with his 88 Regal sitting up on blocks in his driveway while he changes the oil. While he is on his own property, it still affects the value of my home.

If you are on 10 acres, then by all means do whatever you want... however, if you are in most planned suburban communities with small lots of less than .25 acre if even that... you need rules so the community doesn't start to look like a favela.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I was President of a small condo association HOA. For the most part, it was pretty straight forward. You just ensure the HOA is well run. The big thing is making sure the HOA has enough "reserves" and a good budget to maintain common areas. You want to plan ahead so that money is set aside so that major maintenance items don't require "special assessments" to pay for.

Also, developers almost always set dues too low, so you will need to raise them.

What you will find out is a lot of your neighbors probably can't see the big picture and that having a well run association is key to maintaining property values. They will scoff at any HOA due increases.

Finally, make sure you are consistent with any rule enforcement and don't go overboard. In large communities, particularly if there are a lot of retired folks without day jobs, they may see the HOA board as their little power fiefdom so you have to be careful about getting these nut jobs on the board.

Great advice! Yeah, the dues are really low. Once they leave I’ll push for a capital contribution from any new homeowners and a 10% increase in dues. All that will do is make up for the contributions the developers give us each year, it won’t bring in new money. It will only be a $40 hike, but I’m sure it’ll be tough for people to accept

I don’t know anyone in the community really. Only been here since August. But whoever the next two board memebers are is going to be crucial. There’s a community Facebook page and there are folks on their who treat it like a high school popularity contest. They kind of already make their own rules on things. Lots of bitching and complaining goes on there. I’ve been able to put a lot of those fires out already though.

I’m getting quotes from vendors for a lot of things people asked for. New landscaping, walking trails, street lights. So when they come back and complain about x, y, and z...I can say “we can’t afford it”...but we can with an increase in dues. I’m sure that’ll get them going.

Thanks for chiming in!

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

As a board member, what's your policy on garden gnomes?

Unlimited? Less than three?

Where can you place them, flowerbed only?

Those little buggers are a liability let me tell ya. Overcast day, meter reader is making his rounds and BOOOOOM!!!!!

BROKEN EFFIN ANKLE!!

Home owner got cut rate insurance that has a no gnome clause and all of a sudden, you have JG Wentworth 877-cash-nowing the HOA's collective asses.

Think about that.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Those little buggers are a liability let me tell ya. Overcast day, meter reader is making his rounds and BOOOOOM!!!!!

BROKEN EFFIN ANKLE!!

Home owner got cut rate insurance that has a no gnome clause and all of a sudden, you have JG Wentworth 877-cash-nowing the HOA's collective asses.

Think about that.

Just don't mess with our Lawn Jockeys.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

If you have an appropriate amount of racially insensitive lawn jockeys pointing out the gnome's locations I believe you're good to go on the safety front.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Sick effers think alike.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   

BROKEN EFFIN ANKLE!!

Think about that.

Well there’s an inherent problem here. Are they religious gnomes? Transgender gnomes? Are they equal opportunity gnomes? Who’s going to pay for the gnomes?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: IAMTAT

This is why we have HOA meetings, to clear up the real issues.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

BROKEN EFFIN ANKLE!!

Think about that.

Well there’s an inherent problem here. Are they religious gnomes? Transgender gnomes? Are they equal opportunity gnomes? Who’s going to pay for the gnomes?

That's an easy one.

You make the most offensive gnome conceivable.....

You're thinking to your self "OMG, CriticalStinker is a crazy man".... Hear me out.

You can do whatever you want as long as you have a trendy coexist bumper sticker on your minivan. Slap that puppy symmetrically opposite your obligatory stick figure family (your pets better be in that family if you have some or else you're a soulless bastard) .

That one sticker gets you a pass to do pretty much whatever you want, up to and including calling other people bigots.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join