It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HOA Board Member

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

link to youtube playlist containing the entire episode divided into parts.

m.youtube.com...

This was during American Dad's heyday. (when it was the most funny) So its a decent episode. At least watch Part 1 before you decide. (the parts are only about 3 minutes each due to some reason I dont know or care about.)

Im sorry. I didnt know how else to reply to this.

I learned the facts of life... from watching "The Facts of Life"! Oh, God!!

Actually never seen The Facts of Life, im a tad too young to have experienced that. But I do know the quote from Cable Guy, and I was able to understand the reference. The clue is in the name. LoL.
edit on 4/2/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: NotaBot

I've always thought it strange that a bunch of folks think they have the right to tell me what I can do with a house and property that I paid for.

And why "dues" ?
Will they pay for my new fence ? Improvements to my house ? Anything ?
I'll keep my private property to myself thanks.
And my money.

Thats weird. They did that to you?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Sorry but I am against home owners associations. As long as people are in compliance with local ordinances I believe they should be able to do whatever the heck they want with their own houses and properties that THEY paid for. The last thing this world needs is a bunch of micro-managing busy bodies telling people what they can and cannot do with their own private property.

I don't think you understand what a Homeowner's Association is. They dont go around harassing random people. People CHOOSE to live in a neighborhood that is a part of the HOA because they WANT to have a more strict neighborhood. They dont want you parking you broken down 87 mustang in your front yard, leaving trash all over the place, lowering their property values.

Its a CHOICE. A gathering of people who have made an agreement to all follow the same rules for the bemefit of all. The way youre arguing against it makes it seem like you dont realize that.

HOAs are a GREAT MAGNET for humor! Lets enjoy this!

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Some of the responses in this thread are cracking me up. Thanks folks! πŸ˜‚

Just be a normal person and try to be fair and not stupid.

My neighbor, a few years ago, got it in his head that the barking dog all day long that he heard was one of mine. It wasn't. My dogs (three small scruffy pups) weren't even home during the barking times, not to mention the bark was clearly coming from a yard on the other side of his house AND it was clearly the bark of a big giant dog, not the little yip that mine make.

He charges over one night and practically busted my front door down, and when I opened it, he put his fist up to my face and then brought his other hand up and slammed his fist into in hard, slowly, three times, inches from my face, then went back to his house and slammed the door.

After that, I started getting notifications of HOA violations weekly, sometimes several a week. They were ridiculous, like one day we had a hurricane blow through (literally), and while I was at work all day, my front glass door had blown open. So I got fined for that, even though obviously I closed it when I got home from work. I got fined for a tiny, tiny hole in one of my kitchen window screens, that you couldn't see unless you were six inches away from it.

I figured it was the angry neighbor but couldnt prove it until one day I got fined for having a garbage bag on my patio, not in a garbage can with a lid. these are fenced in patio/yards so a person couldn't know I had a bag out there unless they came onto my patio uninvited. But- a picture was included in this notice, and the angle of the picture was exactly as if taken from angry neighbor's bedroom window which looks down onto my patio.

So, obviously this guy had a vendetta against me- wrongly, it wasn't my dog barking- and he's finding things weekly to report me for and instead of the HOA contacting me and asking some questions, they just let the harassment continue and keep collecting their $30 with every fine.

Don't let that crap happen. If you see people starting to be freaks, have a chat.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Listen, our neighborhood needs order!

Shutters have to be eggshell white, shadow white, or chalk white... This isn't the wild west.

Medium mailboxes of the modern era. Bob put your hand down, you can't have an NFL team mailbox.

Owens Corning shingle roofs... Sandy GTFO of here with your idea for tin roofs, no.

We'll let you all express some individuality with your fences people. 4 foot picket 1 1/2 inch space. But here's where we're gonna give ya some leeway, You can leave it natural, stain it, or paint it white.

Any questions?

Next week we'll cover driveways.

Woah woah woah woah woah...

Were not talking Any color of stain, you meant natural earth tones only, right? ....RIGHT?!?! *eye twiching sporadically*

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Sorry but I am against home owners associations. As long as people are in compliance with local ordinances I believe they should be able to do whatever the heck they want with their own houses and properties that THEY paid for. The last thing this world needs is a bunch of micro-managing busy bodies telling people what they can and cannot do with their own private property.

I don't think you understand what a Homeowner's Association is. They dont go around harassing random people.

Oh, but sometimes they do. They absolutely do. See my post above.

Your idea of HOAs is what they are supposed to be, in some ideal world. Just read the posts in this thread though; that is rarely how they actually operate. People get turned on by their little bit of perceived power and things go haywire. There is a reason that HOAs have such a bad reputation.
edit on 2-4-2019 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Listen, our neighborhood needs order!

Shutters have to be eggshell white, shadow white, or chalk white... This isn't the wild west.

Medium mailboxes of the modern era. Bob put your hand down, you can't have an NFL team mailbox.

Owens Corning shingle roofs... Sandy GTFO of here with your idea for tin roofs, no.

We'll let you all express some individuality with your fences people. 4 foot picket 1 1/2 inch space. But here's where we're gonna give ya some leeway, You can leave it natural, stain it, or paint it white.

Any questions?

Next week we'll cover driveways.

Woah woah woah woah woah...

Were not talking Any color of stain, you meant natural earth tones only, right? ....RIGHT?!?! *eye twiching sporadically*

As long as green 70's church pew counts as a natural earth tone, yes.

I'd be the guy who found how to circumvent the bylaws to piss people off just for fun.

While everyone would have there fetish like Christmas decoration competition going, I would put up a sick Halloween getup.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I found that active on property gun ranges reduce HOA authoritarian tendencies. And the bleating busybodies that appeal to them. I don’t know why that is.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

And why "dues" ?
And my money.

Dues pays for the upkeep and maintenance of common areas, like grounds, the pool, tennis courts, BBQ areas, club house, etc. Not to mention legal expenses of keeping a lawyer on retainer and paying them to enforce the CC&Rs and Bylaws.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I was on a HOA once and it totally opened my eyes.

There was a meeting and only two people showed up, me and another homeowner. We had to make a huge financial decision that would affect the entire neighborhood. We are talking a decision that could cost a homeowner thousands per year.
No vote, no nothing, just me and Joe Blow deciding. It had to be decided that night.

The other thing I really disliked was that our HOA dues was going to one of my neighbors for "processing". She wasn't the brightest tools in the shed and I had a big problem with a neighbor having my financial info. The other stupid thing, they were against high end fences, including wrought iron and cedar but were perfectly OK with a chain link dog pen. It is those kinds of decisions that are just too common.

Someone already mentioned this. My one word of advice to you is to make sure you are doing everything 100% legally.
Also if you are able, move. I actually did!
edit on 2-4-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

I don't think you understand what a Homeowner's Association is. They dont go around harassing random people.

Yes they do.
I lived in a very high end townhouse community once. I had a propane grill on my patio. My setup was beautiful and could have been a page out of a magazine. I got a ticket that my grill needed to be put in my garage when not in use. I did not read that anywhere in our bylaws.

So I provided that little ticket to our local fire department (I'm petty like that) They contacted our HOA and let them know they were giving people extremely dangerous orders. That propane grills should never be stored in hot garages (Florida) due to the risk of explosion.

It was absolutely hilarious the emails and letters that followed. That now grills were allowed back on the patios.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

Oh, but sometimes they do. They absolutely do. See my post above.

Your idea of HOAs is what they are supposed to be, in some ideal world. Just read the posts in this thread though; that is rarely how they actually operate. People get turned on by their little bit of perceived power and things go haywire. There is a reason that HOAs have such a bad reputation.

Sorry, I guess I couldve worded that better 🧐

They don't go around harassing people who are not a part of the HOA. If you make the decision to move into a neighborhood with an HOA, you had some idea of what you were getting yourself into, and you could also just as easily choose to buy a home somewhere else. Is basically what I was getting at.

Oh I understand the nags people (who are a part of an HOA) have are legitimate and HOAs are magnets for the most rediculous, humorous depending on perspective, situatuons.

I'm just saying, nobody put a gun to their head. Other than my apartment management, nobody is gonna bother me about anything. No HOA is gonna knock on my door and fine me for leaving cigarette butts in the parking lot or whatever. Because, to them, Im just some random person they have zero authority over.

The person complaining, in my opinion, did not seem to understand that. Or else why were they bitching so hard, as if it was something forced upon people who had no desire to join a HOA? Was basically my position.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Right. So you were not just "some random person". Sorry, I thought I was clear but.. clearly I was not πŸ˜‰

Reminds me of forum gangs. If enough people get together they can # some # up pretty bad with coordinated actions.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

my front glass door had blown open

Wow. Your front door isnt allowed to be opened? Youre allowed to exit and enter the house through it though, right? So, there must be a time limit or something that you violated, or, what specific rule was broken there?

I guess its a give and take relationship. I would expect your property values are holding up nicely?

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I've always thought it strange that a bunch of folks think they have the right to tell me what I can do with a house and property that I paid for.

And why "dues" ?
And my money.

Because in some communities, conformity helps keep up property values; particularly in planned communities where you may not have as much yard space. I get what you are saying, but far too many people simply don't know how to be good neighbors. I don't want to live next door to Joe Redneck with his 88 Regal sitting up on blocks in his driveway while he changes the oil. While he is on his own property, it still affects the value of my home.

If you are on 10 acres, then by all means do whatever you want... however, if you are in most planned suburban communities with small lots of less than .25 acre if even that... you need rules so the community doesn't start to look like a favela.

Are you going to pay for joes oil change? Unless he is pouring the oil in the storm drain you shouldn't be upset right?
edit on 2110000004 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: DAVID64

And why "dues" ?
And my money.

Dues pays for the upkeep and maintenance of common areas, like grounds, the pool, tennis courts, BBQ areas, club house, etc. Not to mention legal expenses of keeping a lawyer on retainer and paying them to enforce the CC&Rs and Bylaws.

Dues pay legal for the HOA protection, but owners should absolutely have an umbrella policy if they are in a HOA. If someone breaks their neck in common area and they sue, guess who they are going to come after... every single homeowner. We had a huge body of water. Our HOA insurance said it would only be covered if it were "maintained" property. (HOA insurance is very specific) It wasn't. If someone slipped and drowned in there, we would all be on the hook. People do not realize this.

In our neighborhood we had many people walk in from other neighborhoods and use our trails etc. This is basically a lawsuit waiting to happen.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm

originally posted by: Edumakated

And why "dues" ?
And my money.

Because in some communities, conformity helps keep up property values; particularly in planned communities where you may not have as much yard space. I get what you are saying, but far too many people simply don't know how to be good neighbors. I don't want to live next door to Joe Redneck with his 88 Regal sitting up on blocks in his driveway while he changes the oil. While he is on his own property, it still affects the value of my home.

If you are on 10 acres, then by all means do whatever you want... however, if you are in most planned suburban communities with small lots of less than .25 acre if even that... you need rules so the community doesn't start to look like a favela.

Are you going to pay for joes oil change? Unless he is pouring the oil in the storm drain you shouldn't be upset right?

It isn't about the oil. In certain communities, they don't want people working on cars in driveways as it detracts from the standards of the community. Some HOAs don't want people parking big ass RVs in their driveway. Some have other visual and aesthetic rules. It affects the neighbors in that your dump of a property with a broken car in the driveway hurts the value of other homes which is why they have the HOA rules. It is the same reason they enforce lawn care standards. No one wants to live next door to a crack house with waist high weeds in the front lawn.

Look, I get the concept that it is your land, your property, you can do what you want... if that is the way you want to live, you have to move somewhere that either does not have an HOA or that you have enough land that your own personal decisions do not affect your neighbors.

My current house does not belong to an HOA, but we do have laws enforced by our village police. For example, we don't allow over night parking. It keeps our street clear (and attractive) and prevents people from parking junker cars on the street. This helps keep property values high as we have very pretty and scenic streets. My community is known for its architecture and people move here for our tree canopied streets and historic homes. People don't want their investment ruined because some asshat wants to park his work truck on the street.

HOA rules came about because some people do not possess common sense in regards to adhering to community standards and norms.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

That's why homeowners need to hold their HOA board of director's feet to the fire. If the insurance company refuses to cover a settlement caused by the board's failure to do their jobs, failure to enforce the by-laws or the CC&Rs, it's their houses that should be the first ones on the auction block, in foreclosure.

I'm in a similar situation right now with our board of directors who refuse to acknowledge parts of the governing document that are too inconvenient for their lazy asses to enforce, and it's costing the HOA tens of thousands in legal fees.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Assuming that you've already bought the farm (I mean the house) all I can say is you have my sympathy. These HOA situations are a complete nightmare. Doesn't matter how nice or peaceful or any of that you are, there will always be drama sooner or later.

It's a mess.

posted on Apr, 2 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I don't think you understand what a Homeowner's Association is. They dont go around harassing random people. People CHOOSE to live in a neighborhood that is a part of the HOA because they WANT to have a more strict neighborhood. They dont want you parking you broken down 87 mustang in your front yard, leaving trash all over the place, lowering their property values.

Its a CHOICE. A gathering of people who have made an agreement to all follow the same rules for the bemefit of all. The way youre arguing against it makes it seem like you dont realize that.

HOAs are a GREAT MAGNET for humor! Lets enjoy this!

Actually a lot of people buy homes without the knowledge that the house they have bought was already entered into a homeowners association by previous owner agreement with clauses passing the membership along with the sale of the house without it being listed in any of the purchase contracts but being listed in said HOA agreement on file, and in most cases it is legally binding. I've known about 6 people this has happened to. I have also been witness to members of HOA board going yard to yard measuring how tall the grass is- I kid you not!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join