It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rich People loopholes - Felicity Huffman Lori Loughlin charge in college admission scheme

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
www.huffpost.com... Mfcd2Kd-OhSb8n-RFZ6-28FlnPm3EzrpzH3elen8

The Hollywood stars allegedly joined CEOs of private and public companies, real estate professionals and a fashion designer in paying up to $6 million in bribes to ensure that their children were accepted to schools such as Harvard and Georgetown. Most of the parents paid $250,000 to $400,000 per student.

This just chaps my hide!! For every one of these kids accepted, there is a kid out there, truly deserving that did not get accepted.
I'm really wondering about Ivy league schools and if they still hold their same prestige anymore. It seems they are just filled with scammy people, and kids with parents that have more money than brains.

The diabolical ways they would orchestrate the whole thing is even more sickening. They would create fake charities, and then get "payment" from the parents. The parents would then write off the money during tax time. When you look at all the people involved, coaches, admissions, even exam administrators. Parents would pay for someone else to take the example in place of their dumb kids and the administrators would look the other way. The other way they would get in is by using coaches to "recruit" these kids, in sports that they NEVER played. How about that.. Again, cheating a real athlete out of acceptance.

Think it can't get worse, oh of course it does. They even claimed that some of the kids had learning disabilities when they didn't. There are some kids that have truly struggled and now they have these fakers making everything that more difficult...sickening!!

edit on 12-3-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.huffpost.com... Mfcd2Kd-OhSb8n-RFZ6-28FlnPm3EzrpzH3elen8

The Hollywood stars allegedly joined CEOs of private and public companies, real estate professionals and a fashion designer in paying up to $6 million in bribes to ensure that their children were accepted to schools such as Harvard and Georgetown. Most of the parents paid $250,000 to $400,000 per student.

This just chaps my hide!! For every one of these kids accepted, there is a kid out there, truly deserving that did not get accepted.
I'm really wondering about Ivy league schools and if they still hold their same prestige anymore. It seems they are just filled with scammy people, and kids with parents that have more money than brains.

The diabolical ways they would orchestrate the whole thing is even more sickening. They would create fake charities, and then get "payment" from the parents. The parents would then write off the money during tax time. When you look at all the people involved, coaches, admissions, even exam administrators. Parents would pay for someone else to take the example in place of their dumb kids and the administrators would look the other way. The other way they would get in is by using coaches to "recruit" these kids, in sports that they NEVER played. How about that.. Again, cheating a real athlete out of acceptance.

Think it can't get worse, oh of course it does. They even claimed that some of the kids had learning disabilities when they didn't. There are some kids that have truly struggled and now they have these fakers making everything that more difficult...sickening!!

But but.... affirmative action!

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Unfortunately, money talks. As it always has.

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Rich Hollywood Leftist Elites caught cheating the system.
Color me surprised.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I'm guessing this is the first you've heard of this? These schemes have been going on since...well...there were colleges.

Oh your kid needs to get admitted? We also need a new law library, and A/V equipment for the auditorium...

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Dirty little cheaters

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Rich Hollywood Leftist Elites caught cheating the system.
Color me surprised.

They are just using their white privilege...

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Sadly there weren't enough golf and tennis scholarships available.
The rest had to bribe their way in.
It's the American way after all.

Eta: Justice was swift as a sailing coach was sacked.
I'm sensing a fencing coach will lose their job as well as a polo recruiter?
edit on 13-3-2019 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

I'm guessing this is the first you've heard of this? These schemes have been going on since...well...there were colleges.

Oh your kid needs to get admitted? We also need a new law library, and A/V equipment for the auditorium...

No, but I can still get mad about it!

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I've stated in other threads that there are only about 30 schools in the US worth paying for...

Admissions to certain schools all but guarantees a successful life. You will get access to the best jobs, etc. Parents will do anything to get their kids accepted to top / prestigious schools.

As a result, you get situations like this where parents are willing to do anything to get their kids admitted to these schools.

These schools admissions have never been solely about test scores and GPA.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
There’s so many scandals hitting the news, can anybody with a life even keep up?

Confirmation bias, I’ll go ahead and say it, but I see the whirlpool spinning.... this is how you drain the swamp. The closer we get to empty, the faster it’s gonna spin... and probably churn out some gurgling noises as well.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Not a loophole, intended or otherwise, which is technically quasi-legal.

This is criminal fraud, hence the criminal investigation and criminal charges.

Big difference.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Right.
This is racketeering.
These people knowingly engaged in fraud and bribery.
The facilitator was set up as a charity...and these bribes were also taken as charitable deductions.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
And those kids will still be more successful than their public counterparts.

What real investing in education looks like.

Ok not all.

Some unfortunately do turn out like the Kardashians.

There are exceptions of course.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
Not a loophole, intended or otherwise, which is technically quasi-legal.

This is criminal fraud, hence the criminal investigation and criminal charges.

Big difference.

Only if found guilty, if not it's a loophole

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
President Trump was elected to, among other things, drain all the status-quo swamps that favor criminals.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think I find it more insulting that academic failures who'd never otherwise get into college get in on athletic scholarships. Talk about shafting the truly deserving ones who didn't get in with that loophole.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I think I find it more insulting that academic failures who'd never otherwise get into college get in on athletic scholarships. Talk about shafting the truly deserving ones who didn't get in with that loophole.

If I had to weigh the scales, (and for the record I'm against affirmative action) I'd say I'd lean more toward
highly skilled athletes over kids that are just rich.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
And unfortunately some people think money equals brains.
I know some people with money that have almost zero common sense and I know some people who don't have a lot of money but are smarter than average without ever having gone to college.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Nyiah

If I had to weigh the scales, (and for the record I'm against affirmative action) I'd say I'd lean more toward
highly skilled athletes over kids that are just rich.

Ultimately, both aren't worthy of admission by any means, BUT -- and this is the only "but" I'm presenting for pondering -- at least the rich ones are paying for it. The athletic scholarship ones are getting a free ride. You prefer the free ride idiots over the scheming, but still paying ones?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join