It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rich People loopholes - Felicity Huffman Lori Loughlin charge in college admission scheme

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thank god the government is finally cracking down on the real criminals. Must be a slow year for crime, right?)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I think I find it more insulting that academic failures who'd never otherwise get into college get in on athletic scholarships. Talk about shafting the truly deserving ones who didn't get in with that loophole.

If I had to weigh the scales, (and for the record I'm against affirmative action) I'd say I'd lean more toward
highly skilled athletes over kids that are just rich.

Ultimately, both aren't worthy of admission by any means, BUT -- and this is the only "but" I'm presenting for pondering -- at least the rich ones are paying for it. The athletic scholarship ones are getting a free ride. You prefer the free ride idiots over the scheming, but still paying ones?

Not necessarily if you read the article. The rich are using loopholes and writing it off. My guess is that a lot if not all of the money is going into pockets, and not the school.

In a perfect world, I think higher education should be merit based only and everyone pays the same amount.

If we go with the athletes not paying, that is true, but I'm sure those athletes bring in MILLIONS of dollars for the school in revenue. Think about the football players, the schools know this.

In the end, one should not be subsidizing the other. I'm with you on that.
edit on 12-3-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: Boadicea

Right.
This is racketeering.
These people knowingly engaged in fraud and bribery.
The facilitator was set up as a charity...and these bribes were also taken as charitable deductions.

Exactly right. "Knowingly" is the operative word here. Everyone involved knew exactly what they were doing and went to great lengths to do so.

I will even take this a step further and say that this is just the beginning of the fraud... a literal perpetual fraud. These ivy league schools are famed for producing graduates that are deemed smarter than the average bear. The school cannot afford to tarnish that reputation, so these students will pass whether they deserve it or not.

The students will then be deemed smarter than the average bear, thus receiving the most prestigious and lucrative employment offers, for a lifetime of rewards for their perpetual fraud.

I would feel like absolute crap as a parent if I had so little faith and confidence in my child that I would set him up for a life of lies and dishonor. What a crying shame.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I would feel like absolute crap as a parent if I had so little faith and confidence in my child that I would set him up for a life of lies and dishonor. What a crying shame.

Makes you wonder how the "famous" parent got to where they were. Probably something similar.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Makes you wonder how the "famous" parent got to where they were. Probably something similar.

Indeed! I hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense. Folks do what they know... Maybe these parents figure if dirty deeds were good enough to get them where they are today, dirty deeds are good enough for their kids.

Damn sad.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
What I find interesting is that the people who paid the money by most accounts are extremely wealthy. However, they are so shallow that they are willing to commit fraud just so their kids can gain admissions to elite schools. However, the schools really won't make much of a difference in their kids lives beyond being a bragging point socially because of their inherited wealth.

In other words, it would be socially embarrassing to say their kid is just stuck at State U.

Maybe it is my blue collar background, but I just don't see the point if a parent could pay $500k to get a kid admitted to a school. Why would you give a f*ck about going to an elite college? Take the money and start a business. Live off the trust income.

I

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
these people have lived in a different reality than the average person, for 2-3 generations now.
That veil between us is being brought down. I wonder how they’ll fare in the world of fair that’s coming.

Although, as in such cases as the Olson twins (they come to mind bc the photo of the full house Star is being shown everywhere) also Mcculley culkin, how they ended up not much better off than one in poverty on the streets... with a life
Of addiction etc.... I’m almost of the mind that crushing this corrupt system will be freeing to so many caught up in it, as well, if that makes sense.

But, that’s a different topic. I just like that we see an attempt at justice.

edit on 12-3-2019 by SouthernGift because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I think I find it more insulting that academic failures who'd never otherwise get into college get in on athletic scholarships. Talk about shafting the truly deserving ones who didn't get in with that loophole.

If I had to weigh the scales, (and for the record I'm against affirmative action) I'd say I'd lean more toward
highly skilled athletes over kids that are just rich.

Ultimately, both aren't worthy of admission by any means, BUT -- and this is the only "but" I'm presenting for pondering -- at least the rich ones are paying for it. The athletic scholarship ones are getting a free ride. You prefer the free ride idiots over the scheming, but still paying ones?

Not necessarily if you read the article. The rich are using loopholes and writing it off. My guess is that a lot if not all of the money is going into pockets, and not the school.

In a perfect world, I think higher education should be merit based only and everyone pays the same amount.

If we go with the athletes not paying, that is true, but I'm sure those athletes bring in MILLIONS of dollars for the school in revenue. Think about the football players, the schools know this.

In the end, one should not be subsidizing the other. I'm with you on that.

The perfect world doesn't exist. Admissions to top schools has never been solely about merit. The reality is that the schools have far more qualified applicants than they have space for. Even if it were about merit, they'd still have to select admissions based on intangible factors that can't be easily measured. If you only have 1,000 seats and 5,000 applicants, all of whom are legitimately qualified, then you simply cannot take everyone. You have to start looking at what sets apart the 1,000 BEYOND just grades and SAT scores.

Admissions is partly merit, but also a good heaping of luck.

I graduated from an elite school. If you are qualified to attend certain level schools, you will gain admissions to at least one. For example, most people who are qualified to attend say an Ivy League college will gain admissions to at least one of them. Where the luck comes in is which one accepts you. Maybe you get into Yale, but not Harvard. Maybe you get into Brown, but not Columbia.

If you aren't qualified, the odds of getting in any of them are slim to none.

Schools are often looking for a "hook" and trying to build what they believe to be the optimum student body. It isn't just solely about grades. For example, a kid from a small town in Iowa has a much better shot at an elite east coast school than a kid raised on the east coast. Athletes are in high demand, so if you play a sport, you may have a better chance than someone who doesn't.

If you are a stereotypical Asian kid with a high SAT and plays the piano, odds are you are a dime a dozen. On the other hand, if you are that same asian kid, but maybe instead of playing piano you are an accomplished hip hop DJ, you now have a differentiating hook.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Personally I'm like meh, this is news?

The rich in America have always had a separate set of rules in life. Hell, they can rape or kill people and relatively "get away with it".

What's the difference between these rich people and the ones who ”donate" millions to universities? You think those wealthy donors don't get special privileges?

Not saying any of it is right, just not new news.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Rich Hollywood Leftist Elites caught cheating the system.
Color me surprised.

Watch them have illegal immigrants as their household staff and nannies and not pay them "living wages" or Health insurance.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Personally I'm like meh, this is news?

The rich in America have always had a separate set of rules in life. Hell, they can rape or kill people and relatively "get away with it".

What's the difference between these rich people and the ones who ”donate" millions to universities? You think those wealthy donors don't get special privileges?

Not saying any of it is right, just not new news.

The new is that they are caught, and it is news because for so many years everyone was apathetic and just looked the other way. Maybe it not being accepted anymore means things are slowly changing.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SouthernGift

Although, as in such cases as the Olson twins (they come to mind bc the photo of the full house Star is being shown everywhere) also Mcculley culkin, how they ended up not much better off than one in poverty on the streets... with a life Of addiction etc.... I’m almost of the mind that crushing this corrupt system will be freeing to so many caught up in it, as well, if that makes sense.

That makes perfect sense, and I agree completely. Those who harbor the same corrupt mind or depraved heart will play the game and thrive... but others will be battered and bruised and even destroyed. Hollywood proves what happens when people believe their own publicity... their fantasies... their own delusions. We all need boundaries.

But, that’s a different topic. I just like that we see an attempt at justice.

Me too!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

So this is the other end of the admissions scam racket and why you have Asian students suing over racist admissions policies.

You have rich, entitled people like these who scam the system on one end, and on the other, you have the protected class kids who get admitted with lesser exam scores and everything to satisfy the gods of diversity and assuage guilt (over this maybe?).

Then in the middle you have a scant few spots that might get awarded to the kids that we used to think of as the deserving kids who do everything right and have the real chops.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So this is the other end of the admissions scam racket and why you have Asian students suing over racist admissions policies.

You have rich, entitled people like these who scam the system on one end, and on the other, you have the protected class kids who get admitted with lesser exam scores and everything to satisfy the gods of diversity and assuage guilt (over this maybe?).

Then in the middle you have a scant few spots that might get awarded to the kids that we used to think of as the deserving kids who do everything right and have the real chops.

You got 25% on both ends... rich kids, legacies, donors on one end... the other end, you have the diversity admits, athletes, etc. The 50% in the middle are the "normal" admits.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

They even claimed that some of the kids had learning disabilities when they didn't

Apparently being rich and spoiled is a learning disability..like affluenza.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Basically, this is about a guy who established a private not-for-profit group whose job it was to break the rules and finagle admissions for kids whose parents were rich enough to pay them to do it. This person and his group were only affiliated with the schools inasmuch as they were able to bribe officials at these schools to let this or that slip in my understanding.

For example, on the athletics thing, I was recruited by a couple of the Ivies as an athlete who also checked off all the academic and test score boxes as well as all the other extracurricular boxes.

The Ivies don't give what you are thinking of as the traditional athletic grant. So they don't have scholarship athletes which is one of the reasons I didn't wind up at Brown or Columbia -- I was a poor kid. What business did I have racking up that amount of debt? So when they talk about faking athletic profiles, I highly suspect it's to those situations and not to a more traditional athletic situation where they assign you a scholarship and you sign your NCAA letter of intent and offer.

They do track you pretty close and this sort of scam never would have lasted if they were faking athletes at that level.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

They even claimed that some of the kids had learning disabilities when they didn't

Apparently being rich and spoiled is a learning disability..like affluenza.

I had a friend in college whose dad was a celebrity. He claimed he had ADD or something in order to get more time on his tests, etc. Only disability he had was drinking too many 40z and smoking weed.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I actually really like the persona that Lori Loughlin portrays.
Seriously seems like she would do anything for her kid, but apparently it isn't enough.

Loughlin’s 19-year-old daughter, who goes by Olivia Jade on her popular YouTube channel, faced backlash last year when she posted a video in which she said she was only interested in attending college for the parties.

Now Mama might go to jail for a kid that doesn't even care.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
So get this, Senator Elizabeth Warren is outraged over this! She thinks it’s wrong to cheat your way into college!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Massachusetts, a presidential candidate and a former school teacher, expressed outrage over the scandal in an interview Tuesday with ABC News. "This is just stunning," Warren said. "To me this is just one more example of how the rich and powerful know how to take care of their own."

ABC News

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join