It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain Marvel- Spoiler free

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I watched the movie today.
I found it to be a solid origin story.
You do have to pay attention, as it is flashback heavy as the main character is suffering from amnesia from before the movie picks up.
I could nitpick certain things, but they would be minor at best.

I wan't surprised by anything, and I was not disappointed by anything.

The big take away I got was Captain Marvel has a similar power set to Iron man, without the suit.

Has anyone else seen it?

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

No, because I choose not to pander to a self-important narcissist misandric low-education actress like Brie Larson.

I'll wait for it to be in the 99 cent DVD bin at a dollar store...shouldn't be too long....

Edit:
Nah. Why pay for that trash....might watch it on putlocker for the (unintentional) laughs....
edit on 8-3-2019 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

I see you choose to base your entertainment on the news sources you believe to be true.

If you, like I, work in the same industry as Ms. Larson (performing arts), you would understand the push from the industry to try to be as "inclusive" as can be (or PC), that is being pushed right now because of various scandals in the news recently.

Honestly, your post shows a poor understanding of PR in a quickly changing landscape of media.

If you enjoy marvel movies, it's worth a look.
If you will not see the movie because of what you have been told, that's on you.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Sounds about right, I heard it was aggressively mediocre

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

I would put it above mediocre for a comic book film.
But I do not see it being an Oscar contender.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   
STOP!!!
Maybe some small spoilers ahead!!!

My wife the kids and me are all big time MCU fans.

We went to see it today.
just got back from the theater actually lol

I gotta say though in my opinion it was probably the worst mcu movie to date.

Not because of all the PR BS and not because of who Brie Larson is as a person...

But first: I felt the move just didn't fit to well with the overall tone and story arc of the whole mcu

Second: kong and captain marvel are the only movies I have seen that star Larson and in my opinion she is simply a bad actress And in no way in my opinion can she fill the shoes of cap or iron man

Third: they copied so many things from other mcu moments don't want to spoil to much but copied thor the skulls looked like the dark elves copied a groot move and much more. seemed like just lazy writing, directing and acting to me

Forth: jude law is a great actor in my opinion but gave the worse performance of his career in captain marvel

And finally the way they portray fury is a joke and the way he looses his eye? Wow
edit on 9-3-2019 by DustybudzZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I won’t be seeing it for a variety of reasons. The main reason is I am not really in the super hero movie demographic at my age. The second reason is I didn’t feel represented in the movie as a white make. I will wait for the next Bruce Willis film.
edit on 2019/3/9 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DustybudzZ

We went to see it today.

Not because of all the PR BS and not because of who Brie Larson is as a person...

But first: I felt the move just didn't fit to well with the overall tone and story arc of the whole mcu

Second: kong and captain marvel are the only movies I have seen that star Larson and in my opinion she is simply a bad actress And in no way in my opinion can she fill the shoes of cap or iron man

Third: they copied so many things from other mcu moments don't want to spoil to much but copied thor the skulls looked like the dark elves copied a groot move and much more

Forth: jude law is a great actor in my opinion but gave the worse performance of his career in captain marvel

And finally the way they portray fury is a joke and the way he looses his eye? Wow

First: They are going cosmic- wanted to do so with GOTG 3. That went off with the James Gunn incident. So needed a new direction. So (imo) they pigeonholed it into this.

Second: I've not seen a lot of her as well, so I have no opinion there. I've seen better and I've seen worse.

Third: I was not impressed with the Skrull design and make-up as well. But the motivations were different than the dark elves.

Forth: The actors can only work with what they are given.

As for your final- It depends on your comic book lore.
This was a comic book heavy tie in.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Going to it tomorrow morning and looking forward to it. Love Marvel movies as I never really followed comics as a kid so when my little ones got interested in them it was like I was living my childhood all over again. I know all the crap Brie Larson has been spewing out of her mouth has turned a lot of people against the movie but I just don't care what her outside opinion on things are. If the movie entertains me then I will give it a thumbs up.

My favorite so far out of all of them is probably Thor: Ragnorak and then Infinity War. I've probably watched both of those at least 10 times.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I won’t be seeing it for a variety of reasons. The main reason is I am not really in the super hero movie demographic at my age. The second reason is I didn’t feel represented in the movie as a white make. I will wait for the next Bruce Willis film.

That is very sad as the majority of individuals in the movie are white males (or pretend to be).

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:25 AM
link   

How would you know what was represented if you didn't even see the movie? Lol

But since I have seen it I will say it seems they went the same route as they did with black panther...

the whole narrative of the movie was not completely centered around feminism and empowering women but it played a big role.

There was that one scene that describes the species of man's threat level was week to none so there's that lol

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:36 AM
link   
It shouldn't have anything to do with skin color at all!!!

Because even if the narrative leaned towards feminism and empowering women which is perfectly fine and good

It would not target just WHITE Males it would be for all males

This is the problem with the world too many people believe everything they hear and believe all the msm BS and let it dictate there lives

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I watched it last night and, while I agree that Larson was beyond ridiculous with the stuff she said, it was still a decent movie. Wasn't the best one but I enjoyed it despite her giving me the expectation of an sjw panderfest. The only real feminism-ish theme in the movie was the "you say I can't do it because I'm a girl but I'm going to prove you wrong" that Carol went through growing up in the 70s-80s. Since that was a common thing back then, it actually made sense in the context of the story.

The things I didn't like were not too bad but still dumb to me(SPOILER WARNING) :

Marr-Vell, the original (marvel) character who held the title in the comics, was gender swapped to a woman for some dumb reason. I didn't mind when they did it with Dr Strange's teacher but I thought they'd be more respectful to him.
The 2nd thing was funny but still dumb. That was the way that Fury lost his eye.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

We went to see it today.

Third: they copied so many things from other mcu moments don't want to spoil to much but copied thor the skulls looked like the dark elves copied a groot move and much more

First: They are going cosmic- wanted to do so with GOTG 3. That went off with the James Gunn incident. So needed a new direction. So (imo) they pigeonholed it into this.

Second: I've not seen a lot of her as well, so I have no opinion there. I've seen better and I've seen worse.

Third: I was not impressed with the Skrull design and make-up as well. But the motivations were different than the dark elves.

Well GOTG vol3 is still happening with james gunns script as far as I understand
and yes they are going cosmic but they been doing that since the first GOTG
so thats not something new
and that dose not mean they will forget and abandoned the street level hero's they are still going to do both cosmic and street level just changing the story arc and ending a era

Edit: Technically the cosmic aspect came into play with the first thor so

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DustybudzZ

Because even if the narrative leaned towards feminism and empowering women which is perfectly fine and good

You are completely right. It is perfectly fine and good, but I have no interest in supporting that agenda as it isn’t a priority of mine to be “woke”.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:52 AM
link   

You are completely right. It is perfectly fine and good, but I have no interest in supporting that agenda as it isn’t a priority of mine to be “woke”.

But just because people try to make it connected to the movie doesn't necessarily mean that agenda is directly connected to the movie itself

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:55 AM
link   

But just because people try to make it connected to the movie doesn't necessarily mean that agenda is directly connected to the movie itself

If it wasn’t part of an agenda then why did the Captain Marvel character receive a sex change?

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:56 AM
link   

We went to see it today.

Well GOTG vol3 is still happening with james gunns script as far as I understand
and that dose not mean they will forget and abandoned the street level hero's they are still going to do both cosmic and street level just changing the story arc and ending a era

I hope it does. No directer will touch it out of respect for Gunn. It will be a no show.
Agreed they will produce both- but the vibe has been to the cosmic (until they can include mutants).

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   

We went to see it today.

I hope it does. No directer will touch it out of respect for Gunn. It will be a no show.
Agreed they will produce both- but the vibe has been to the cosmic (until they can include mutants).

Honestly I think if it came down to it Chris pratt would probably just make the decision to produce and direct GOTG vol3...

Lol he promised us so you know what he would probably say....

"Sure how hard can it be?"

Lmfao

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 01:06 AM
link   

We went to see it today.

Honestly I think if it came down to it Chris pratt would probably just make the decision to produce and direct GOTG vol3...

Lol he promised us so you know what he would probably say....

"Sure how hard can it be?"

Lmfao

The best solution without giving James credit is to say Sean Gunn is directing, but letting James do so. Or let James have success in DC before rehiring him.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join