It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picking Up Trash While Black

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: UncleTomahawk

As a black man, I can see both sides of this situation.

Being a black male, I am all too familiar with the scenario where you may be looked at suspiciously. The times where you are doing yard work and looking rough and people might assume you are up to no good if they don't recognize you are your clothing paints a different picture.

I think I'd be pretty pissed if I am at my own home and a cop wanders up wanting ID.

On the other hand, I also can empathize with the police as well. My dad was a cop for 30 years. So I have nothing but respect for what they have to do and put up with. The cop's job is to respond to calls or assess a situation. From the cops vantage point, it might look a little suspicious. The cop can't simply take someone's word for something and a witness yelling in the background is irrelevant.

Both sides needs to be more understanding of the perspective. I tend to defer to the police mainly because they are the ones in authority and whose lives are at risk.

I was always taught to just do what an officer ask, even if I disagree. Talk calmly and be respectful. Yes, sir. No, sir. Arguing with a cop on the side of the road is not an argument you can win, so no point in doing so or escalating the situation. If you feel disrespected or treated unfairly, then deal with it after the fact in a neutral setting.

Tell us where a neutral setting is? A government building where you have to have a bunch of money and time to even think you have some say against a system all on the same team? They all get paid by the same money source that comes from forced consent to pay at the barrel of a gun and the threat of violence.

We the people have a certain amount of rights and if we do not stand up for them then we will not have those rights.

The person surrounded by 8 cops was the only person in any amount of danger in this situation.

There is a difference between standing up for your rights and escalating a situation. The REALITY is that the cop is in a position of authority. You are not going to win the argument on the side of the road.

I ride motorcycles. Many times I have the right of way away legally. However, I ALWAYS give deference to a car because if we get in a wreck, regardless of who had the right of way legally, physics dictate I will lose the argument. I rather be mad and alive, than right and dead.

I view interactions with police the same way. Since my dad was a cop, he taught me at a young age to just STFU and do what is being asked by the cop. It doesn't matter if I am right. YOU WILL NOT WIN THE ARGUMENT. If I believe I am wronged in some manner, you can file a complaint later in a place where a cop is not feeling threatened and calmer, cooler heads can prevail.

It is really this simple.

Like I said, I can fully understand why the guy would be annoyed, but you also have to view it from the police perspective too.

There are millions upon millions of civilian / police encounters. 99.99% of them are without incdient. Given the sheer number of interactions, there will ALWAYS be a few incidents that fall into the WTF category simply because we are all human. Cops are human. Civilians are human. You can prevent all WTF situations from happening. Holding up the hand few of these incidents as if they represent some sort of trend or indicative of typical police encounters is propaganda and misleading.

Filing complaints about cops to cops does nothing.

This all reads as 'if a cop decides to harass you illegally because of the way you look you better shut the # up so you don't get shot in the face.'

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
How much does race have to do with this? Good question and we can only make a guess but I would say yes, because some nosy neighbor saw him and thought "omg, black male=must be up to no good".

What a crock of spit. You have no evidence whatsoever to suggest this was racially motivated.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: trollz
What could have happened:

Officer: "Hey there. Can you put that thing you're holding down for a minute?"
Guy: "Ok."
Officer: "Do you have some id on you?"
Guy: "Sure, here you go. I live here. I'm just picking up some trash from my yard."
Officer: "Oh, ok. I see you do live here and are in fact picking up trash. Sorry to bother you."

What did happen:

Officer: "Hey there. Can you put that thing you're holding down for a minute?"
Guy: "No! F*** you! Get off my property!"

fail

That is not what is being reported. The officer asked for an id. He was presented with an id and a neighbor backed up the fact that he lived there. That should have been end of the story.

I wonder, it was mentioned in a prior post by someone that it was a "school ID". Does anyone know if that school ID had the person's address on it as well? Any school ID I ever had didn't include my home address (for obvious reasons).

Was it a school ID, a driver's licence, a voter ID card, other ID with home address?

If it did not have a home address, then the police would need to run his name to determine if he indeed did live there. Again, someone at the scene stating it is irrelevant. It needs to be proven independent of the scene.

That is a load and a grasp at straws.

Trying to negate a neighbor verifying that a person lives at that address is a fail. People have freedom to be places not listed on their license and the only way to verify in the case of a person living somewhere not listed on a license is through people living in the same house or neighbors.

As if it is a crime to be on your own lawn without an id.

A simple knock on the door or a neighbor showing up and informing a cop that they live there is the best a cop can ask for.

Cop doesn't know if the person is a neighbor.... idiots yelling in the background don't help the situation.

Yes he does and he has zero reason to think otherwise. The neighbors residency was never questioned at any point. The biggest clue is the fact the person is in their home.

I would hate to go through life suspecting everyone of being illegal.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: UncleTomahawk

Sounds like he was being emboldened and encouraged by the "super woke" white dude filming... These woke white folks are Not helping minorities at all. He just made this kid believe that the cop was doing something against the law and that he did not have to comply, simply because he is black and the cop is white.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes lol! Thanks for sharing this educational film on why Identity Politics and Progressivism are a cancer on our society.

As a white man I've been treated Very unfairly, violently, been threatened, etc by cops... but since I dont view those experiences through the racial lens every minority is forced to look through thanks to the media monopoly shoving this worldview in our face... I just realised that some cops are dicks, some are understandably stressed, and sometimes I was just being a dip# and had it coming.

Not every cop is white these days, not even close. So it's not fair to claim racism in every case, even if a cop behaves unfairly or illegally they could just be a corrupt assmunch or had a bad day, we all have bad days.

I never tried to physically resist. That's stupid. They have been dealing with drunks, druggies, gang bangers, wife beaters, molesters etc and are just WAITING for a valid excuse to let someone have it. Why would you step forward and volunteer to be their punching bag?

Because it somehow "proves" something? Because it helps your agenda? Because we all know that the image of a young black dude surrounded by cops with their weapons drawn automatically conjures uncomfortable feelings regardless of the details of the situation?

He's lucky he didn't get shot. Dumbass.
edit on 3/7/2019 by 3n19m470 because: PARAGRAPHS ARE PRETTY PARAGRAPHS ARE GOOD

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Being a black male, I am all too familiar with the scenario where you may be looked at suspiciously. The times where you are doing yard work and looking rough and people might assume you are up to no good if they don't recognize you are your clothing paints a different picture.

I think I'd be pretty pissed if I am at my own home and a cop wanders up wanting ID.

On the other hand, I also can empathize with the police as well. My dad was a cop for 30 years. So I have nothing but respect for what they have to do and put up with. The cop's job is to respond to calls or assess a situation. From the cops vantage point, it might look a little suspicious. The cop can't simply take someone's word for something and a witness yelling in the background is irrelevant.

Both sides needs to be more understanding of the perspective. I tend to defer to the police mainly because they are the ones in authority and whose lives are at risk.

I was always taught to just do what an officer ask, even if I disagree. Talk calmly and be respectful. Yes, sir. No, sir. Arguing with a cop on the side of the road is not an argument you can win, so no point in doing so or escalating the situation. If you feel disrespected or treated unfairly, then deal with it after the fact in a neutral setting.

Tell us where a neutral setting is? A government building where you have to have a bunch of money and time to even think you have some say against a system all on the same team? They all get paid by the same money source that comes from forced consent to pay at the barrel of a gun and the threat of violence.

We the people have a certain amount of rights and if we do not stand up for them then we will not have those rights.

The person surrounded by 8 cops was the only person in any amount of danger in this situation.

There is a difference between standing up for your rights and escalating a situation. The REALITY is that the cop is in a position of authority. You are not going to win the argument on the side of the road.

I ride motorcycles. Many times I have the right of way away legally. However, I ALWAYS give deference to a car because if we get in a wreck, regardless of who had the right of way legally, physics dictate I will lose the argument. I rather be mad and alive, than right and dead.

I view interactions with police the same way. Since my dad was a cop, he taught me at a young age to just STFU and do what is being asked by the cop. It doesn't matter if I am right. YOU WILL NOT WIN THE ARGUMENT. If I believe I am wronged in some manner, you can file a complaint later in a place where a cop is not feeling threatened and calmer, cooler heads can prevail.

Like I said, I can fully understand why the guy would be annoyed, but you also have to view it from the police perspective too.

There are millions upon millions of civilian / police encounters. 99.99% of them are without incdient. Given the sheer number of interactions, there will ALWAYS be a few incidents that fall into the WTF category simply because we are all human. Cops are human. Civilians are human. You can prevent all WTF situations from happening. Holding up the hand few of these incidents as if they represent some sort of trend or indicative of typical police encounters is propaganda and misleading.

This all reads as 'if a cop decides to harass you illegally because of the way you look you better shut the # up so you don't get shot in the face.'

Try doing otherwise and see what happens... Be my guest. When it happened to me, I shut the #up. I'm still here.

But I guess if you are a mind reader (because you know that the reason for the harassment is "the way you look") then you know what to do and what will happen.

EDIT- I didnt notice the first time you hilariously used the word "illegally" as well. Om since there is footage, nobody can deny this was illegal harassment right? Cool these cops will at least be convicted of a crime that will be on their records, even if we can guess the punishment will be light.

So what law will they be charged with then? "illegal harrassment"?

Thanks for the laughs. See ya in the funny pages...
edit on 3/7/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

originally posted by: dug88

Try doing otherwise and see what happens... Be my guest. When it happened to me, I shut the #up. I'm still here.

But I guess if you are a mind reader (because you know that the reason for the harassment is "the way you look") then you know what to do and what will happen.

Actually I have done...I made a thread about it here. Worked pretty well. Whereas the complaints i've filed led to nothing.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

He just made this kid believe that the cop was doing something against the law

Good for him for making someone believe the truth and saving his life.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

He would have "surely died" without his white savior huh?
edit on 3/7/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

He would have "surely died" without his white savior huh?

What do you think? It was clear that the officer had gun ready to go.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: UncleTomahawk

I dont know how things work where this was, but if those were regular city cops, he should have had his friend call the sherriff. Sherriff takes an oath to uphold the state constitution. Most city police departments do not. Sherriff trumps city as well.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

THIS GUY WITH THE PHONE IS A HERO and we are in debt to him.

You're right!

We should start this hero a Gofundme page.

I bet you'd like that wouldn't you...

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I would not mind it. Hook it up.

What i am impressed with is the fact the student picking up trash wants to remain anon and has stated he does not want to be used as fodder.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

"They have been dealing with drunks, druggies, gang bangers, wife beaters, molesters etc and are just WAITING for a valid excuse to let someone have it. Why would you step forward and volunteer to be their punching bag? "

Do you not see a problem with that statement?

You honestly don't think people should stand up to this?

I don't care about the race aspect, but I believe everyone needs to stand up to these problems with abusive police officers. We need to fix the problem now.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: trustmeimdoctor

You must be a cop or some redneck that loves them.

Hey, hey, HEY, HEY! Watch where you're waving that broad brush!

Looks like a blunt force object to me.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

What i am impressed with is the fact the student picking up trash wants to remain anon and has stated he does not want to be used as fodder.

Too bad he didn't tell his roommate that before dude uploaded the video to FaceBook.

What a horrible attention seeking roommate.

edit on 7-3-2019 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Of course this is in Boulder, CO, one of the most progressive lefty busybody shrieking university towns in the nation.

And of course both sides were wrong.

The cops had no need to escalate with weapons ready and the citizen had no need to be so angry and belligerent. i am willing to bet if he had simply put down his little tool and said I live here calmly instead of cussing at them, this would not have made any news.

People need to learn more damn patience.

Towns like this (plus Portland, San Fran etc) are obsessed with identity politics meanwhile all of the so-called enlightened progressives are some of the most impatient and spoiled people ever.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

Too bad he didn't tell his roommate that before dude uploaded the video to FaceBook.

What a horrible attention seeking roommate.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

That's such a great story of how you think all liberals are the scum while whatever you are is somehow above it. I'm feeling so enlightened now.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
How nice of you to equate all liberals with progressives, which I did not do.

a reply to: trustmeimdoctor

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Same thing, and still completely irrelevant to the topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join