It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picking Up Trash While Black

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: dfnj2015

Innocent?
We have a saying about that in Texas.
"Everybody's guilty of something, everbody should serve a little time". Time in prison that is, because after all, Texas is the "Incarceration State". Come on down, we've built one for you, a cell that is. No AC but you get three hots and a cot.

When I lived in Texas on the homeplace, my grandfather told me, "in case of trouble, don't call the Sheriff dept. or the cops from Lubbock, call the fire dept. They will get here quicker, with sirens and lights flashing, act in a professional courteous manner, and not shoot you in their confusion" made sense then and makes sense now.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
yup! Unfortunately I don't see it happening, as less people want to become cops, and a majority of those that do, are doing it for the wrong reasons or because they largely aren't fit for other jobs. Not all cops are subpar at dealing with people of course, or doing it for reasons of power, but there a lot!

a reply to: TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I wonder if that is a good idea, say with an armed individual? Maybe for just common arguments sure..

a reply to: olaru12

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Stand your ground laws should have applied. If I was being harassed on my property, Betty and Shelly would be doing the talking for me.
edit on 7-3-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The last place I would've been standing recording is directly behind that dude.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

I think it's worse than you think.

When I was going through my first two years of college, I worked there as a peer/professional tutor for the mathematics department. The college had to do more than simply educate; often they had to bring students up to college level first. We had three "remedial" math courses... MA095, which led directly to college algebra, MA096, which was a condensed remedial course for degrees that did not require math, and MA090, the basic, basic junior high algebra course. MA090 could also be opened up to include elementary level math, as I found out on one student who could not add two mutli-digit numbers.

I tutored primarily at the higher math courses (pre-cal and calculus), but everyone had to help out with the remedial courses because that was where all the help was needed.

That college had a Criminal Justice degree. It didn't take long to realize who was in it... the one time I was asked to do a student's homework for them (which I of course refused to do), it was by a Criminal Justice major. If someone was just trying to coast through to get the class done without learning anything, there was an 80+% chance they were Criminal Justice majors. They just didn't care about learning anything; they wanted to get their piece of paper and get their job.

Some were planning to get a security guard job somewhere, usually older men who didn't have any skills and were out of work. Some were planning to be police officers. A few wanted to join the ABI, FBI or CIA. But what was scary is I would talk to them when I was outside polluting the atmosphere, and when I asked them why they wanted to be police officers, I got some scary responses:

"So I can carry a gun."
"Cause people have to do whatever I say."
"So I can't get arrested."
"Cops get the best drugs."

...and the topper?...

"So I can kill people."

Yes, one actually told me that... with a straight face.

Our standards are far too low, our training is often substandard (some smaller towns don't even require any), and our education system is inadequate. No one should be able to put on a badge without first undergoing an extensive background check, and I would suggest posting their name in the local paper and on the Internet with a number for people to call in anonymous tips to be investigated. One or two calls might be someone with a grudge, but if someone gets 50 or 100 calls alleging problems? Nope, don't need them. Police should have the respect of their communities.

We need to get Internal Affairs back to being impartial, or make it a state/Federal thing. The police do not police themselves anywhere near well enough. All reports should be public as soon as any court business based on them is concluded.

Removal for cause from one department should also be an immediate blackball for anywhere else.

I support law enforcement wholeheartedly, but I will not support thugs. What we saw in that video were thugs. Gang members operating under the color blue.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: Ksihkehe

The police do not have to stand down just because someone says they know him.

Yeah, that was my point. I said that the person saying this was giving ignorant legal analysis of the situation.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I see corruption in the system.

No way this is related on an equal basis.

Question is who is feeding the corruption. Who is responsible for such. Looks like an inside job.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Hey now, it is his house, and he lives there.

I assume then it is private property.

I would not necessarily be 100% compliant either if police showed up at my house and started grilling me, asking for ID, or any of that, especially without a warrant, or not in 'hot pursuit' of someone else.

Just saying.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: UncleTomahawk

now he has no job.

Good. That is someone that does not need to be a police officer, not if that is how he handles a situations like that.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie

now he has no job.

Good. That is someone that does not need to be a police officer, not if that is how he handles a situations like that.

To be perfectly clear he is on administrative leave.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

That's code for a vacation.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

That's code for a vacation.

TheRedneck

Ya, paid vacation..not too shabby.

I'm surprised at some of the more right leaning freedom loving members here that think one should bend over and take it dry. Clearly this situation was needlessly being escalated by the cops.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The naacp has a march scheduled for sunday. Seems that maybe the difference between this happening to a white man vs a black man is the way blacks seem to unite more after these incidents even when the person has wished to remain anon. My point is that this has likely happened in the past to others but it is unheard of.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Sad that a grown man doesn't have a real ID. That might lessen suspicion about where he lives and who he is.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Sad that a grown man doesn't have a real ID. That might lessen suspicion about where he lives and who he is.

A school id is real. It is sad that it took 8 denver cops to come to that conclusion.

Do you carry an id with you always when you are in your yard? I do not know of any law that requires someone to carry a state id while on private property.

The cop could have said go in and get your real id while i wait here. Instead he grabbed for his gun.
edit on 9-3-2019 by UncleTomahawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

A school ID is not the level of fed or state. I would think it is also easier to forge.

This is like the ID to vote issue. Those to lazy or cheap can get a state level one free at tax payer expense. I would not be surprised is there is some fish stuff behind it. (not say there actually is)

Nothing like making things more difficult and then blaming others. We see it with traffic stops, etc often. Funny how so many of the people without good IDs end up having a warrant.

But I won't deny these people (traffic stop) to freedom to make situations more difficult if it makes them happy.

edit:

I was just questioning carrying a school versus better ID, not anything with the deflection you added. Never said an ID is needed to be in the yard, etc.
edit on 3/9/2019 by roadgravel because: added (traffic stop)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

A school ID is not the level of fed or state. I would think it is also easier to forge.

This is like the ID to vote issue. Those to lazy or cheap can get a state level one free at tax payer expense. I would not be surprised is there is some fish stuff behind it. (not say there actually is)

Nothing like making things more difficult and then blaming others. We see it with traffic stops, etc often. Funny how so many of the people without good IDs end up having a warrant.

But I won't deny these people to freedom to make situations more difficult if it makes them happy.

So have you ever been in your yard without a proper id?

If so then you are "these people".

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

As i mentioned, I wasn't commenting on that.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Omg!!! The cops are so on edge to use their guns it's amazing. I don't know what the answer is but having people on the edge of shooting their gun like this is not going to end well for some people who are innocent.

And in the past, it has even led to certain people walking up to cops sitting in parked cars and blowing their head off at point blank range, unfortunately.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join