It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picking Up Trash While Black

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
That cop was just looking for a reason to shoot that man.
Thank goodness that neighbor had a camera on the whole event.

Someone should show the staff sergeant that video and when he does nothing, show the local media.
That will get an investigation rolling.

I’m all for police being able to do their job, but this seemed like it was just harassment

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: UncleTomahawk

Looks like another terrific use of taxpayer funds. Nothing wrong, keep pushing. Cops get handed evidence showing real crime, do nothing. Bin there, done that, got the t-shirt :-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I thought the thread was going to be about this

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: UncleTomahawk

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

originally posted by: blueman12
I don't get it...So the cop walked up to him, asked for I'd, then how did it escalate from there? What else did the cop want to linger for so long with his hand on the gun?

Maybe he's just one of those cops that wants complete submission before leaving...

Who knows what happened. I can't stand morons that can't keep their mouth shut and have to yell things while recording. I stopped watching after that started. I figured from having watched this kind of video before he'd be spewing some ignorant crap he thinks is the law before long. He's actually escalating the situation by being an was and yelling from behind the trees.

If they're harassing the dude for picking up trash they should be held accountable.

Na! The guy verifying that the person lived there is the point the officer should have left after viewing his school id. This guy was on a power trip if he calls a trash grabber a blunt force object after being verified the guy lived there by the witness.

Do you even know what a blunt force object is? It's any solid object used as a weapon, which damages its target by applying direct mechanical force, and has no penetrating point or edge, or is wielded so that the point or edge is not the part of the weapon that inflicts the injury. Brass knuckles are considered a blunt force object and they wouldn't do as much damage as a trash grabber.

You are not posting reality if you think a cheap ass trash grabber is more dangerous than brass knuckles.

When is the last time you held an object like the guy had? Honestly they are cheap made and do not have much aluminum content and are mostly plastic.

Either way once the cop received the guys id and had a neighbor verify that the man lived there then there was no need for anything else to happen except for the officer getting in his cop car and driving away.

Obviously the person in charge of those cops feels the same way since i heard on the news the cop was fired.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Bet this is in a democrat controlled city, being filmed by a little progressive that thinks he's above the law and they're not not allowed to do their job while he's around. Guy in the video looks homeless anyways. Best to stop and be sure he's not stealing anything because I'd imagine that if something came up missing from the camera shooter's yard, he'd be complaining about the cops for not asking why a homeless looking dude is in his yard. No win situation for police in blue cities.

That is a decent point. However as i have said all those suspicions were put to rest and yet the cop became a lingerer.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

I can't stand morons that can't keep their mouth shut and have to yell things while recording. 

I can't stand morons who think a little piece of metal on their shirt gives them authority to harass and beat and sometimes kill the citizens whose tax money pays them.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

You must be a cop or some redneck that loves them. This isn't about liberals and the liberal media hating the police. A lot of people hate the police because of the way they act. It's like badges are magnets for douchebags.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Hmmm, I wonder if this was a setup to make the police look bad. How convenient it was to have a person record it all. I mean, if the guy LIVED there, why would a resident call the police to report it?

Copping a bad attitude when the police show up is a bad thing. In situations like this, it can turn deadly very fast; the police know it, so they have their guns out. They fear for their own lives, just like so-called victims of police brutality fear for theirs.

I've been stopped by the police more than once. Two of those times was because my vehicle matched the description of a vehicle used in the commission of a crime. One of those two times, the two police persons had their guns out. I kept my hands where they could be seen, I was respectful and compliant, and I didn't cop an attitude. And I was on my way in a few minutes.

edit on 7-3-2019 by TheTruthRocks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I think before any assumptions can be made, we need to know whether the cops were called there, or the cop was just strolling by. If called there, why? Got to have both sides people.
edit on 7-3-2019 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: trustmeimdoctor
a reply to: LSU2018

You must be a cop or some redneck that loves them. This isn't about liberals and the liberal media hating the police. A lot of people hate the police because of the way they act. It's like badges are magnets for douchebags.

What's with the personal attack?? Redneck?? Really??

How about debating the statement and not the person?

If you look at the statement, it seems to be accurate since:

A) The media HAS painted a target on police for the past 8 years. The rise in unprovoked police attacks will show that clearly. Is it any wonder that police now must assume anyone they approach is capable of killing them? I challenge you to do that job and not have the same fear when approaching a person that you were sent to investigate. Be it in a car on on the street....if someone fails to comply with your requests, and becomes belligerent in the process, the odds of them lashing out are very much increased.

B) More and more people have been resistant to even consider listen to the police officer's requests for ID or answering their questions. In this case, they were called to the scene of a suspicious person. They do not know who that person is or from where they came, let alone why their reason is for being there. So, they ask for ID and ask questions along those lines to make an assessment. Whether someone at the scene "vouches for them" is irrelevant because they also may not know who that person is either, or what their motivation is to speak up for the suspect (yes, suspect, until such time as ID and relevant questions are answered). If someone feels they are entitled to refuse to answer those questions, fine, then go peacefully with the officer to the station to be questioned there. Escalating the situation never works out well, ever.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicAwakening
I think before any assumptions can be made, we need to know whether the cops were called there, or the cop was just strolling by. If called there, why? Got to have both sides people.

There is a link to the free thought project article in the video. News reports on tv say that the officer was driving by and the person was sitting down and there was a no trespassing sigh right in front of him. The officer asked for the persons id and it was provided and the neighbor told the cops the person lived there. That is where the filming started when the officer wanted to further question the man. The officer has been fired others investigated.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
What could have happened:

Officer: "Hey there. Can you put that thing you're holding down for a minute?"
Guy: "Ok."
Officer: "Do you have some id on you?"
Guy: "Sure, here you go. I live here. I'm just picking up some trash from my yard."
Officer: "Oh, ok. I see you do live here and are in fact picking up trash. Sorry to bother you."

What did happen:

Guy: "No! F*** you! Get off my property!"
edit on 3/7/2019 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTruthRocks
Hmmm, I wonder if this was a setup to make the police look bad. How convenient it was to have a person record it all. I mean, if the guy LIVED there, why would a resident call the police to report it?

Copping a bad attitude when the police show up is a bad thing. In situations like this, it can turn deadly very fast; the police know it, so they have their guns out. They fear for their own lives, just like so-called victims of police brutality fear for theirs.

I've been stopped by the police more than once. Two of those times was because my vehicle matched the description of a vehicle used in the commission of a crime. One of those two times, the two police persons had their guns out. I kept my hands where they could be seen, I was respectful and compliant, and I didn't cop an attitude. And I was on my way in a few minutes.

fail

no one called the police

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

There is a link to the free thought project article in the video. News reports on tv say that the officer was driving by and the person was sitting down and there was a no trespassing sigh right in front of him. The officer asked for the persons id and it was provided and the neighbor told the cops the person lived there. That is where the filming started when the officer wanted to further question the man. The officer has been fired others investigated.

If that is indeed the case, then I stand corrected in my above post regarding the police being called on the person in the yard. If not called, and just observed, then yes it was an unwarranted stop from the start.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

People do not have to show id's unless they are suspected for a crime.

Papers please!

The police bring this on themselves by acting like thugs.

There are many officers who do not act like this but you know what we have a video here where 8 thugs surround a man picking up trash in his own yard and non of the blue isis can be heard demanding right off for the situation to be deescalated. It took them over 5 minutes and knowing they were being filmed for them to back down.

As long as this mentality is rampant the media will continue to report on it.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

If that is indeed the case, then I stand corrected in my above post regarding the police being called on the person in the yard. If not called, and just observed, then yes it was an unwarranted stop from the start.

I knew it!

You are rational.

Hey i am with you that if a neighbor would have called the cops then the situation would have been different but in this case we have a neighbor right off verifying that the person lived here.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

a reply to: Krakatoa

People do not have to show id's unless they are suspected for a crime.

Papers please!

The police bring this on themselves by acting like thugs.

There are many officers who do not act like this but you know what we have a video here where 8 thugs surround a man picking up trash in his own yard and non of the blue isis can be heard demanding right off for the situation to be deescalated. It took them over 5 minutes and knowing they were being filmed for them to back down.

As long as this mentality is rampant the media will continue to report on it.

Again, if he was not called to the scene, and no laws were being broken, it was an invalid stop in this case. However, if they are called to the scene, the YES., the do have the right to ask for ID to determine the identities of those at the scene.

Refusing that only escalates the situation. Your reference to NAZI's is getting all Godwin, and frankly diminishes your position.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   
As a black man, I can see both sides of this situation.

Being a black male, I am all too familiar with the scenario where you may be looked at suspiciously. The times where you are doing yard work and looking rough and people might assume you are up to no good if they don't recognize you are your clothing paints a different picture.

I think I'd be pretty pissed if I am at my own home and a cop wanders up wanting ID.

On the other hand, I also can empathize with the police as well. My dad was a cop for 30 years. So I have nothing but respect for what they have to do and put up with. The cop's job is to respond to calls or assess a situation. From the cops vantage point, it might look a little suspicious. The cop can't simply take someone's word for something and a witness yelling in the background is irrelevant.

Both sides needs to be more understanding of the perspective. I tend to defer to the police mainly because they are the ones in authority and whose lives are at risk.

I was always taught to just do what an officer ask, even if I disagree. Talk calmly and be respectful. Yes, sir. No, sir. Arguing with a cop on the side of the road is not an argument you can win, so no point in doing so or escalating the situation. If you feel disrespected or treated unfairly, then deal with it after the fact in a neutral setting.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
What could have happened:

Guy: "Ok."
Officer: "Do you have some id on you?"
Guy: "Sure, here you go. I live here. I'm just picking up some trash from my yard."
Officer: "Oh, ok. I see you do live here and are in fact picking up trash. Sorry to bother you."

What did happen:

Guy: "No! F*** you! Get off my property!"

fail

That is not what is being reported. The officer asked for an id. He was presented with an id and a neighbor backed up the fact that he lived there. That should have been end of the story.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The goof ball telling the police to go home isn't helping. Nothing like feeling of interfering and potential of getting hauled to jail.

Could be the police identified to tool as an assault grabber and know to be careful.

I would blame this whole current atmosphere on the police though.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join