It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pork Rinds, did they change?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   
When I was a little kid we used to get all kinds of snacks, pork rinds being one of them as my dad loved them.

I remember them being really good and a tasty and similar to a puffy potato chip. I totally remember them being delicious.

Fast forward, 20-30 or so years. My husband is reducing carbs and we decided to try a bag.
Keep in mind, I have not had them in all those years.

We both gagged and were disgusted by the pork rinds. They were nothing like I remembered.
Have they changed or am I remembering them differently. I know a lot of foods have changed over the years, I just
can't imagine this being one of them. The taste and smell was so off putting I just can't....
I am about as opposite to a vegetarian as a person can get, so it is in no way an aversion to meat/ pork.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

maybe you got a bad brand.

some pork rinds are light and fluffy and full of flavor, like a meat pastry.

some are hard and crunchy as road gravel.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Pretty sure...your taste buds changed after those 20-30 years or so..

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I’ve noticed a taste difference. But if it ain’t broke don’t fix it if you have Grippo’s around try some .

Their potato chips are top notch too.

Sometimes it helps to be old and set in your ways .

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Pork rinds used to be better years ago. There are a few companies that do have good ones yet I just bought a bag about five months ago from a store. I know the bag but do not remember the name of the one that is still good. Only one store around here has that brand. I bought some in Green Bay about six years ago that were really good too. Of course, the good ones are pretty pricey, like a pig with high price lipstick on it.

Some of the brands really suck, even the name brands. I don't know what they did to make them taste so bad.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'm doing the low carb/keto thing myself and found that the best is to make your own. Get the rind from a butcher and chuck it in an air fryer...reaallly tasty. The store bought stuff is like most things these days.. imitation.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Baconettes was likely it.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Everything changes ffs...

I bought some Mcain pizza pockets a while back.. I used to chow them two or three at a time

I could barely get through one of them...

i figure companies would rather look at their profit rather then what already worked

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:38 AM
link   
If it hasn't got a bit of hair on it it aint a good pork scratchin.
Get mine from a farm shop near me much better than the mass produced ones.
edit on 7-3-2019 by MyToxicTash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I have found even bacon tastes wrong these days. Long gone are the days I'd wait patiently as the little slices of decadency would bubble, spit and flutter. Now I don't know what it is..

The meat tastes wrong.

As for carckling, depends on the brand. Some are good, some are really crap.

I just might pop off to the vet to purchase some dehydrated pigs ears..

eta: Oh the best rinds I get are from the carvery... which is a shame, they used to throw in some pork rind as an addon for free, with a meal.. then they realised people dig the rinds so much, now they're $4.50 for a small tub and an additional $1 for gravy.

Money takes away the taste of memory.

edit on 7-3-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 02:50 AM
link   

We call them pork scratchings here in The Mother Country....they are disgusting.

They are most often seen in pubs where they are sold as a snack just like crisps - chips to our US brethren - peanuts etc.

Pickled eggs were my favourite pub snack but for some reason its very rare to see them on sale in pubs nowadays.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:11 AM
link   
A true snacking travesty are the microwave pork rinds. They don't really pop like popcorn, and being able to tell when they are done is nearly impossible. Half the bag is left as inedible little bullets of dehydrated pork something. So disappointing.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benderisfunny
A true snacking travesty are the microwave pork rinds. They don't really pop like popcorn, and being able to tell when they are done is nearly impossible. Half the bag is left as inedible little bullets of dehydrated pork something. So disappointing.

OMG this is a thing?? Holy buckets.. Must Find Delicacy.

I actually like microwave popcorn.. the little kernels that don't pop are the best part of the bag. CRUNCHY. I also don't cook my rice till it's soft, I like it al dente. lol

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   
There are about 500 versions in the UK...

fluffy, puffy, hard or soggy... I love them all!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   
One those things that when you get a good batch they are real good, but a bad brand or manufacturer can ruin them.

One thing see if the local barbeque place makes them got a couple of places here that do and they are fresh and excellent.
#2 occasionally you can save a bad brand or batch by throwing them in a bowl and microwaving them 45 seconds to a minute.
edit on 7-3-2019 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I don't get any from any of the big snack brands.

I have a little checklist that usually serves me right.

-Small brand that looks like they focus on pork rinds.

-Preferably from the south.

-They have to pass the look test, and ideally not look too uniform. The exterior has to have a little bit of color... I judge the unflavored and then buy the spicy.

****Bonus points- You know it's a good brand if they sell cracklins and fatback too... Shows they do full spectrum and take it seriously.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

-They have to pass the look test, and ideally not look too uniform. The exterior has to have a little bit of color... I judge the unflavored and then buy the spicy.

****Bonus points- You know it's a good brand if they sell cracklins and fatback too... Shows they do full spectrum and take it seriously.

Good advice on going small and local if you can.

The best I ever had was from a little store somewhere in the backwoods of Alabama on a road trip. They were made by some local guy and he sold them along with fatback, etc in the store. Were they USDA inspected? I'd be about 99% sure they were not. Were they awesome? Yes.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Frogs

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Good advice on going small and local if you can.

The best I ever had was from a little store somewhere in the backwoods of Alabama on a road trip. They were made by some local guy and he sold them along with fatback, etc in the store. Were they USDA inspected? I'd be about 99% sure they were not. Were they awesome? Yes.

Occasionally you can find fresh ones at a county or state fair here in the south, in my youth, there was a great place at a little fall fair/festival in the north Georgia mountains served hot and crispy in a paper bag with the grease soaking through just a bit. Funny how you remember stuff when you were young based on food lol.

Speaking of FDA my brother and I were on a road trip in South Carolina and stopped at this drive-through called Shooters lol any way LSS are cheeseburger meals were definitely part venison, now they were good, cook well and fresh but we both have venison all the time and it WAS certainly non certified by the USDA, Place was off the beaten path certainly in an area where deer hunting was more than a hobby.

top topics

join