It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 1,500 pulses of lightning recorded off Southern California coast in 5 minutes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

In one five-minute stretch alone, shortly after 8 p.m., the National Weather Service recorded 1,489 pulses of lightning off the coast, 231 over Santa Barbara County and 40 in Los Angeles County, said Kathy Hoxsie, a meteorologist with the weather service in Oxnard.

“It’s a lot,” she said. “We usually don’t get that.”

Nearly 1,500 pulses of lightning recorded off Southern California coast in 5 minutes

Meteorologists called this phenomenon the Atmospheric River, where the jet stream is coming further south and pushing an abundant amount of moisture into the area, Kaplan said.

"For Southern California, its unusual," Kaplan told CNN. Lightning typically hits the area in the deserts during the summer monsoonal season.

Nearly 2,200 pulses of lightning recorded off Southern California coast in 5 hours, and photos captured it all

An "Atmospheric River", unusually large amounts of lightning in winter, snow in places that rarely get it.

Just the weather or are things getting more extreme?

I am not sold on humans causing climate change. I know the climate is changing, it always does.

Global warming or is a mini ice-age coming. Is it all just a distraction? Not sure what to think.

edit on 6-3-2019 by LookingAtMars because: words

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Next thing you know a tornado will be taking out the capital records building.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Probably more likely Cali pissed off god.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Cosmic ray triggered it, possibly.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: whiteblack

One cosmic ray caused all that

I was thinking time travelers

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Probably more likely Cali pissed off god.

23 By the time Lot reached Texas the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the Lord rained down burning sulfur on Los Angeles and Hollywood —from the Lord out of the heavens.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   
shouldn't this be in the Hoxsie bin since she was the mineralogist?

I would say that this could be a predictor of an earthquake. Since earthquakes happen almost every day there, I shouldn't be wrong.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
SoCal ain’t got nothing on Tampa, FL. That’s life 3-5 months of the year...daily.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
CNN says there were 2200 lightning strikes in five hours .

It must’ve been quite a show .

If someone asked me tomorrow.

In your entire time on earth. Which evening would you have picked to sit on the beach with a six pack of beer ?

That would’ve been it .
edit on 6-3-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I love lighting, it's natures fireworks.

Imagine the amount of strikes recorded in ten minutes, I wonder if anyone caught a glimpse of the elusive ball lightning if it occurred.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
In serious nimbo cumulous (storm clouds) 1,500 bolts per minute is not uncommon at all.

I saw one night, in lake in Michigan, where there were over 50,000 per minute (IMO). It was just solid lightning. Craziest thing I've ever seen!! At any one time there were 500-600 bolt's of lightning hitting the water, trees and everything else.

Note - It was the only time I ever successfully did a front flip into the water. The water was shallow, and I tripped over a see wall, trying to move my boat to the leeward side of a small island. Damn good thing I didn't break my friggen neck that night!!.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

I love lighting, it's natures fireworks.

Imagine the amount of strikes recorded in ten minutes, I wonder if anyone caught a glimpse of the elusive ball lightning if it occurred.

I like a good lightning storm way better than fireworks. It costs lots less too and you don't get stuck in traffic coming back from the fireworks for an hour.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   

top topics

join