It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think this Momo challenge is really a hoax??? I think it's a real threat...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I was watching TV today, and they showed a story that there is a viral video going around called the "Momo Challenge." It seems that this challenge was created to trick children into committing suicide. However, the major news media is now calling this a hoax. Story here: www.foxnews.com...

I did a little bit of research myself and found this footage of what the video looked like. Hopefully, it doesn't get removed to quickly from YouTube so you can see what I am talking about. Watch here: youtu.be...

I found this article from back in August and it seems that there might be some legitimacy to the Momo Challenge as per this Article: nypost.com...

Let me know what you think... Sorry for formatting I was typing this from a cell phone.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheUnusualSuspect201

I don't think it is a hoax, but I don't think it is a grave threat.

Every child is exposed to information they should not have been at some point in time.

What I really think we should take away from this is that parents need to be more involved in their children's world. I am not advocating for helicopter parenting, but I am so against parents using technology as a parental substitute. Yes, parenting is hard and you deserve breaks, but that does not give you the right to sit your child in a corner with unmonitored technology.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

It’s not a hoax, but not very well known in the West. This more of a Russian thing and other former Soviet nations.

Creepy as all hell if ya ask me.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
If your dumb enough to participate in this challenge you get the prize you deserve, just like all the stupid online fads and challenges before it.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It's a creepypasta. Nothing more.

Lol.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It's the perfect cover for them to claim its a hoax so that it stays up and circulating. Very dangerous. And whats worse is how its formatted to be enticing to a child's curious and malleable mind.

Kind of like how they put ads for cigarettes at waist level so more children are subconsciously seeing them.
edit on 1-3-2019 by DoctorX11 because: typo ocd

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   
From my understanding it’s a off shoot of the Russian version called Blue Whale. I can’t speak to this momo challenge but the Blue Whale Russian suicide game does seem to be pretty real.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart

Completely agree. However aren't financial entities getting a bit too large for every parent to continue battling the struggle to raise their children in a safe environment alone?...

Lets cut right to the core and target destructive advertising corporate world sacrificing future generations for bigger budgets.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

My granddaughter got off the bus from school two days ago quite upset.
"Grandpa, don't turn on the news, a bad thing can hack through anything and make you do bad things!!!"

I didn't know what she was talking about, even though she showed me notes she took, like using https (safe), http (unsafe). So I explained the difference between secured and unsecured internet connections.

When her mom came to pick her up, I told her about the scare and she wisely looked it up.

Any way, long story short, mostly the birth of a new urban legend (where kids on the playground will be telling each other horror stories). But it is actually a thing. We told my granddaughter to just turn her tablet off if she sees it (not likely, because she doesn't have any of the listed susceptible games on her tablet), but just in case.

Plus the standard just say no advice with an anecdote of once upon a time:

Some guy suggested that I jump off a cliff into a shallow rocky stream, and when I did I broke both my legs.

"Really? You …"

"No. I didn't jump. And a good thing too. You can not jump too."

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoiceOfTheEmperor

It's a creepypasta. Nothing more.

Lol.

For all we know, there could be some embedded occult trickery or symbolism, made to trigger certain things in the mind or subconscious.

link   
Momo isn't anything to do with a viral game...

Here's the skinny...

link   
It's a hoax.

This story has been going around the Internet for awhile, but if you look at the data there's no unusual pattern of deaths. There are clusters of suicides, but this is actually a known issue and has been going on since... well, as long as we've had reporting on such things.

Kids do silly things and stupid things and some of them even do ridiculous or dangerous stunts that have been inspired by videos. But most humans (even as kids) have enough common sense to not be lured in by a video.

The exception (one in a hundred million) might be a mentally ill person (as we've seen with the Slenderman case.)

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Yes, as our first and second world lifestyles are getting fairly cushy, we need SOME way to thin the herd and weed out less favorable genes. Some think tank must be feverishly putting out these creepy pastas to do just that! Look out for Slendermomo next!

*and for the low humor voters or the tasteful, let me amend that to say every child is a wonder and it's a horrid, unfunny meme and just because a parent is too lazy to supervise their kid it doesn't mean they deserve to have the kid cut their own hair...

it's NOT funny... stop it.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

But some people are using it in social media. What my daughter read compared it to those chain letters of yore:

"Send this letter to 5 of your friends and gain fortune. If you don't then your life will be ruined by misfortune."

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

The Momo photo is actually called the Mother Bird statue. It was created by Link Factory. In 2016 and was on display in the "Between Mirrors" exhibit at Vanilla Gallery...

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Start handing out the Darwin awards.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It’s wonderul. It has scared kids away fro Youtube.

All the kids in my 6 year olds class had nightmares the other night.

But seriously. Anything that keeps kids off Youtube is good.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Our society has sick people who do things like this to target kids. They should be taken out back and beaten but many will instead praise and emulate them.

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I just pictured Quagmire from Family Guy saying.... “Is anyone else getting aroused by Momo?”

posted on Mar, 1 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
If you combine it with the Ice Bucket and Cinnamon Challenges you are effectively immortal.

Trust me kids, give it a try.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join