It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple sues Planned Parenthood for $765,000 after botched abortion: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I put this in the "Political Issues" forum because abortion is such a hot political topic right now.

Couple sues Planned Parenthood for $765,000 after botched abortion: report
According to the lawsuit, Planned Parenthood’s San Mateo facility administered the first half of a “medication” abortion (mifepristone, or RU-486), then instructed Coons to take the second half (misoprostol) later. They went home to Boise, where a day later Coons went to an ER for severe nausea and learned her still-living baby had a “strong heartbeat.” A doctor there consulted Planned Parenthood and relayed its instructions to take the second half of the chemical abortion. Several days later, Coons requested a second medication abortion if the first failed, and was given the option of either paying for one in Idaho or getting it free if she went back to New Mexico.

another source

She didn't do it, and waited around till she was 9 weeks along and “could not morally sanction further action to terminate the fetus.”

The baby, now a 2-yr-old, was born a month premature. Now this woman is suing. According to the article,

Their suit is seeking $765,000 in damages to offset the costs of raising “an additional unplanned child,” as well as damages for breach of contract, unfair trade practices, consumer protection violations, and emotional distress.

I'm not even sure what to say about this. Moral issues aside (I don't want to start a pro-life/pro-choice debate), I think that, if they do win, it could set a precedent. Think about it: If they win, does that mean we can sue Ortho if our birth control pills fail and we get pregnant in spite of the pill? Can we sue Trojan if we get pregnant using condoms? I mean, there's a disclaimer somewhere that says that chemical abortion doesn't work 100% of the time, that there IS a very low chance of it not working. That has to be somewhere in the informed consent documents. So if this case is won, what happens next? What do you think about this, ATS?

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: riiver

I'm not even sure what to say about this.

They tried to murder a baby, the baby survived its death sentence. Let them neglect the fact that infants (children) are extremely resilient in the face of mortality.

Not only should they not be granted the money they asked for, they should be held accountable for the attempted murder of a fetus, further be financially required to sustain this child through out its life.

If they didn't wan't a child, they shouldn't have participated in the act of procreation.

Abortion is not birth control...

edit on 2/23/2019 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 02:30 AM
link   
That poor child
To have your parents hold your existence against a company for profit

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I’m on the fence on this one.
On one hand anything that takes resources away from planned parenthood is good but the thought of these people getting any money is abhorrent.

I guess the best case scenario is that it drags on and on in court costing both parties millions and ends in a mistrial.
Fingers crossed

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776
That poor child

No kidding. Fifteen years from now: "Yeah, Johnny, we sure do have a nice house. We bought it with the settlement we got when we sued Planned Parenthood because when we tried to abort you it didn't work..." The mind boggles.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776
That poor child

I think they must have smoked pot and became enlighten to the fact that "hey, it' s cool to have an abortion, but not cool to raise a child".

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   
13 years from now....a kid is going to be on trial for murdering its parents. The defense? Self defense....they tried to murder me...the child will say.

How can the parents be allowed to raise said child. They are unfit.

Then again...it costs how much to adopt one?

The whole system is FUBAR.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
13 years from now....a kid is going to be on trial for murdering its parents. The defense? Self defense....they tried to murder me...the child will say.

How can the parents be allowed to raise said child. They are unfit.

Then again...it costs how much to adopt one?

The whole system is FUBAR.

County adoptions in California years ago was about 500 bucks. Had to take a first aid course, health exam and home inspection and 3 referrals.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Depends on the route taken...

"Other types of adoption usually do cost money. According to Child Welfare Information Gateway, working with a private agency to adopt a healthy newborn or baby or to adopt from another country can cost $5,000 to $40,000. Some agencies have a sliding scale based on the prospective adoptive parent’s income.

The cost of working with an attorney and not involving an agency may range from $8,000 to $40,000 and averages $10,000 to $15,000. Families who choose to work with an adoption attorney on these independent adoptions typically take an active role in identifying the child they hope to adopt or a birth mother".

www.adoptuskids.org...

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   
What an ungrateful mother.

Oh, I know that abortion in the US is polarised but she just needs to live with fate.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: riiver

So... she didn’t take the other pill?

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

So... she didn’t take the other pill?

that's what I'm getting out of this.

Half-assed the medical procedure, life took over and now she's got a half-assed kid.
Should be an argument for up to 18th trimester abortions, right?

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

What's she suing for, wrongful life?

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

What does pot have to do with this? Me and most my friends partake and none of us support this. So let’s not attribute to marijuana what could be explained by stupidity.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Right. She didn't do it. Now she's suing.

posted on Feb, 26 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   

She should not receive any settlement. She did not follow given instructions and apparently did not even pay for the meds. If she paid for her own abortion and followed directions and the abortion failed...she should be able to recover her costs. She shouldn't be able to keep her child she did not want. Allow custody to another family member or release the child for adoption.

Life and giving/taking life means being responsible for impulsive decisions.

top topics

join