It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used a charity foodbank today never been more ashamed in my life

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: SerenTheUniverse

Don't be ashamed my friend.

Its the society that forces people into such situations that should be ashamed.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 03:55 AM
link   
thank you for all the kind replies, breakfast today was fried spam type meat, beans in tomato sauce, and half a can of potatoes, delicious, eating like a king lol, i am so so so grateful for it, evening meal will be spaghetti and the half a can of chicken in a white sauce left from last night, will add half a can of peas n carrots. am definitely starting the job on monday now and they pay a week in arrears so first pay will be 22nd of feb, so excited, and this food will last me until then, may have to get creative and it is just rice with powdered soup or maybe ask for a couple of cans from the food bank again, either way i am on the up, just a 6 mile walk monday morning, i am allowing 2.5 hours for it, then finding someone who lives near me as soon as possible to pay them to give me a lift, i don't mind walking but 12 miles a day i would need new shoes every week lol

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Whatever you say
Keep saying it. Maybe one day it will be true

But i see through your garbage.

You know what I'm talking about and it's not taxation

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 05:47 AM
link   
In Western society I believe strongly that people will help each other in times of need.
I am gald you found a place to get some food and there is nothing at all to be ashamed about. I hope you get on your feet soon.
Are there no jobs at all? Where do you live?

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   

You should not feel ashamed for needing help, or seeking it when you need it.

Did you lay yourself off? Did you claim to be sick when you weren't in order to gain this assistance (which is an event which occurs with such infrequency that its statistically irrelevant, meaning that its only worth mentioning in order to ensure that idiotic hyper-capitalist cheerleaders don't accuse me of ignoring the possibility)? Then you should not be ashamed.

You did not create your circumstances. You did not create the economic climate you are living in, you did not create the jobs market that you exist as a work capable person in. You are not the problem. The problem is a lack of work, as I am sure that if work were available, you would be doing it. If you had created your circumstances, if you had caused the collapse of local economy, driven workers into poverty and then fired yourself along with others, you could say you had some responsibility in these matters, but you didn't, and you don't. You got dealt a bad hand, by a dealer who likes to stack the deck against an honest player, in a game which was already designed from the off to benefit the house not the patron, so really and honestly, give yourself a break.

The people who provided the tinned goods that the charity workers were handing out to you, the volunteers who made that casserole in batch for the homeless and those stricken by poverty, did not do those things to cause you shame, and they did not do those things because they believe you to be in a shameful circumstance. The shame that should be felt about your circumstances, resides exclusively in the hands of people far more powerful and wealthy than either yourself, or those who contributed to the charitable efforts of the people who handed you those tins and offered you that meal.

To believe otherwise, is precisely as ridiculous as blaming those who have to drive to work, for the state of the environment, when its vast corporate entities of massive market value, who do the majority of the damage to the environment on a global scale. As I said, give yourself a break, be happy about the fact that your belly will be filled for a time, and use that nourishment to see if there are any options your hungry brain had not thought of that might help you get out of the pinch you are in. Also, that charity that handed out the food, probably has some connections to those who help the jobless by trying to find them opportunities for work that might be outside what can be found in other places. I recommend, in the event you have to go again, to speak to someone and ask if they have any advisory services available. Many such charities do.

I wish you every success in searching for new work, and hope that by whatever means, your situation improves. All I will say in the meantime, is that its most likely to improve if you stop beating yourself up for that which you had not one bit of control over.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Any taxation that goes to handouts is theft - worse actually, it's extortion.
If someone near me needs some food, no problem I will happily give it. I regularly and voluntarily give to charity.
I do not, however, like being extorted by my govt.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 05:57 AM
link   

I have never used a food-bank. I would rather starve than use one and nearly have.

Guys, you have all missed a point. Our societies should not need food-banks. We should have these emergency resources for all the citizens and not have to rely on medieval charity.

I will not admit my government and society are failing me. If they do I will not turn to charity. It is not a pretty thing. It is good that people show care, but I wonder if it is sabotaging the necessity for our societies to NOT MAKE PEOPLE HAVE TO BEG when they are in need. It is a traumatic and shaming experience, may be not for some but for many of us it is a no no and we would rather, much rather, suffer in silence than have to go near the poverty affirming experience of charity.

Many of us would rather die than have to accept charity. I am one of those. I don't want anyone having a hold over me emotionally. It is a kind of debt and I refuse to have any debts financially or otherwise. I am not going to be some kind of object there just to make someone feel all fuzzy wuzzy and a hero. I find all that very distasteful and it smells of poverty, obviously.

It is always do or die with me. I have managed to do up until now and I don'ty want to be here any more if I have to rely in any way on the whims of others' good nature.

Either have a society that works or don't. This is a crazy way to have to look after our citizens. It means government and society are failing and that is very dangerous. We know what governments and business can be like. If they can get away with it they will try and save on the budget and certain social responsibilities any place they can and to maximize their cut of profit and bonus. They would have nurses working like Florence Nightingale pacing the ward floors for free out of the goodness of her little heart if it would stick. Nope, pay my sister for all her hard work on the NHS Ward as a nurse. Pay her well!

If we lower the tone we will just entrench our societies in more poverty. Charity is not something we can measure or rely on. To have to depend on that means we will let in all manner of other social ills like selling sex for food and rent, because many humans take advantage of poverty as we all know. This is what you open up at the same time as opening the lid on the can of Heinz.

Don't think you are necessarily doing a great thing because the only way our societies advanced was through proper government and social provision. We would still be back in Charles Dickens' "Oliver Twist" days of the workhouse and even slavery if not for modern concepts of governments, society and rights.

Importantly, Karl Marx may have not produced the best blueprint for society generally, but HE HELPED US ALL. He scared the crap out of them and they had to up their game. Long may they keep "upping" their game or Karl will pay another little visit in a new form. He has been seen as Mao, Lenin, Che Guevara, even Oliver Cromwell through history. Be sure these guys have helped us because they scare the pants off our usual lords.

Yes, I am no communist but I respect Karl Marx and Che big time. They really have helped me very much. They have helped us all with regard to rights and social provision. They pushed the emphasis more in our favour using reliable tactics of certain political people friendly weaponry.

Remember, Jesus never begged for a dime. We don't have to either. It is our choice. If we want a choice even we must keep up the fight and the pressure on government and business. Give an inch on this and they will take a mile.

I can safely assure you there was plenty of do gooding charity in Dickens' time, but society was not too hot for most us, was it?

Charity is no answer. It is a stop-gap at best. If it is prevalent and needed it means government and modern society is failingh us and a very sure sign of unacceptable poverty. Take yor pick. Rely on charity and good will or rely on proper social provision democratically decided by the people for the people.

We'll end up as paupers being "oh so grateful" that our lives are so messed up we have to go all mushy in thanks for a tin of Tescho cheap label soup and a Mars bar. Lol! No way will anyone EVER have that pleasure at my expense. I am proud to the point of starvation. I keep a solid and independent will that way with NO DEBTS to anyone, not even emotionally. For me debt is a kind of slavery. I do all my transactions with money, do you hear, money! That is the whole reason why we have money as a concept, to stop all the extortion we humans are more likely to express than any altruism of charity.

edit on 7-2-2019 by Malak777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Malak777

i am obviously weaker than you because i asked someone for help, maybe one day I will be strong like you

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: SerenTheUniverse

i am obviously weaker than you because i asked someone for help, maybe one day I will be strong like you

It is not the point! I have been weaker than you, believe it. I still am If you knew. Yet I will never do what you do. I am not strong in anything other than spirit. It is all I have. I weigh 9 stone. My will is my strength.

No, I am not going to pat you on the back. I am going to wish you well and explain to you "the other side of the coin". If that upsets you I am sorry, but I will be honest and state the dangers of certain acceptances. I am not looking for praise from other humans or to be told what a good little boy I am. I am looking for better societies where people do not have to beg. I am fighting for you so you do not have to do what you had to do as it is not fair in this day and age that you should have to do it.

You are perceiving me as an enemy when I am in fact your helper in a much more important way than giving you a can of soup. You do not like it because I have a different view of your experience. You are welcome to that, but in important social matters like this I must provide people with an alternative take so we do not end up back inb the workhouse with women having to sell their bodies for food and sex, even worse, children having to do it, because in Europe, the U.S, and Britain even children had to do that. It was all well disgusting and morally an abomination.

I'll stick to my guns. Of course you are welcome to keep pursuing this travesty of government and business failing of the people, but I don't think the situation is going to get better for us if we accept this. It will keep getting worse. Greed will take until we slap it firmly on the hand and say "No!".

edit on 7-2-2019 by Malak777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Talk up your community. There are often resources available that many in the community are not aware of.

I volunteer at a church in the hospitality services. They have a food pantry, they provide toiletries and clothing to help with job hunting. They serve a hot meal once a week. There are other churches that do the same, so though it is not the same place providing a meal every day, if makes for hot meals covering a larger area.

The resources are available to all that want it. We don't check for need. It is there if you want it. We are happy to serve. We don't preach, we don't discriminate, and we work with numerous resource and aide groups for those that want help.

No shame is involved, in fact it is an honor to serve.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   

i don't really think about things like that mate i am more thinking about the 6 mile walk to work on monday, bigger politics stuff is out of my control

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

that is beautiful, people helping people, and being helped yesterday was beautiful, really lovely people and all volunteers

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Malak777

It is not the point! I have been weaker than you, believe it. I still am If you knew. Yet I will never do what you do. I am not strong in anything other than spirit. It is all I have. I weigh 9 stone. My will is my strength.

No, I am not going to pat you on the back. I am going to wish you well and explain to you "the other side of the coin". If that upsets you I am sorry, but I will be honest and state the dangers of certain acceptances. I am not looking for praise from other humans or to be told what a good little boy I am. I am looking for better societies where people do not have to beg. I am fighting for you so you do not have to do what you had to do as it is not fair in this day and age that you should have to do it.

You are perceiving me as an enemy when I am in fact your helper in a much more important way than giving you a can of soup. You do not like it because I have a different view of your experience. You are welcome to that, but in important social matters like this I must provide people with an alternative take so we do not end up back inb the workhouse with women having to sell their bodies for food and sex, even worse, children having to do it, because in Europe, the U.S, and Britain even children had to do that. It was all well disgusting and morally an abomination.

I'll stick to my guns. Of course you are welcome to keep pursuing this travesty of government and business failing of the people, but I don't think the situation is going to get better for us if we accept this. It will keep getting worse. Greed will take until we slap it firmly on the hand and say "No!".

So you forgot someone helped you lol

You can't fight greed or whatever if you are dead

Someone at some point raised you from the dead, you forgot?

This is lame, say "NO!" and then go die out of being foolish, like tons people do. Or accept help once and get back on your feet and then be strong again to fix things, now that you know how bad it is

You are blind and dense like a rock lmao

Ohh i'm wise, hear me out, i am too proud to accept help from anyone and so should you! I'll make up excuses that sound deep to hide away my shame and pride and how i was not able to accept help from other humans! dirty humans and their help, i don't need you all!

When i was 14 i was on the streets living on parks and selling flowers to live by, sometimes i would not get any money and people would give me tuna cans and crackers and stuff, and i would live another day and keep going, i never went down but i got help because i was trying hard. not because i begged or depended on them.

First i slept under bench parks, then met friends and they gave me work, selling flowers or candy on the streets. Then invited me to live with them, we were sleeping like 10 kids in a single room in the floor, and doing whatever we could day by day

You have no clue, you lie
edit on 7-2-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   

so I got laid off months ago, haven't been able to find work and had been living hand to mouth on minimum wage anyway. I was down to my last 3 cans of sliced carrots and just can't afford to borrow off anyone or have food at friend's houses too often, so i walked to the charity which helps poor and homeless people and shamefully walked in to ask if they could help me.
They were lovely, really kind and nice, i had about 25 cans of soups, meats, and vegetables including chopped tomatoes, 500gm of rice, pack of spaghetti, powdered soups, noodles, raspberry jam, tea bags, even a big bar of chocolate. I nearly cried i was so grateful. was really heavy to carry home there was so much food.

They then said to me if I want a hot meal they start serving at 6:30pm, it's chicken casserole with roast potatoes tonight so call back, i thanked them and said they had given me enough food to help me, but when i am back on my feet working I will pay you back, this is a loan to me. they smiled and said any help for us is as needed as the help we give, just being good humans.
i was ashamed to seek help today but humbled by my help, i shall see if they need any help say washing up, cleaning or whatever as payback.

so has anyone else reached such a low you've had to do similar?

What would do-gooders do without people to do good for?

Having been in your spot...tis ok...just don't leave this earth until you can find a way to give back to those people who helped you so they may continue helping others. There is no time limit you can give back in five years if you want...let you heart tell you when.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Matter of fact, about a year and a half ago, i lost my job, got evicted, still had a wife and a kid to feed and couldnt do anything to find another job besides throw out resumes and they kept getting denied. We ended up living on the beach in a tent for a couple months while we were waiting, and we did go to food banks hosted by the church near us. The hot meals come in handy when you cant afford pots and pans, or cant find any or borrow any and need to eat. Be humbled by your experience. Also be thankful and be giving enough to do what you said, and give back with your time and energy even if no monies are exchanged. Volunteer work is just as useful as cash. Humanity isnt dead yet, just dying. hopefully things start to change for the better for the world soon before its too far gone!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Don't be ashamed of yourself....be ashamed of Western Governments that have allowed us to fall back to Victorian poverty and Victorian solutions. I'm just waiting for the ok to send my kids up chimneys

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
After reading through this thread, all I can say as I am proud to be part of this community. Way to go everyone

To the OP, don't feel bad about doing what you had to do to survive. Do not let anyone tell you different!

I hope you get back on track soon and wish you all the best!!!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Any taxation that goes to handouts is theft - worse actually, it's extortion.
If someone near me needs some food, no problem I will happily give it. I regularly and voluntarily give to charity.
I do not, however, like being extorted by my govt.

Well my taxes go to all kinds of things I don't want to be a part of paying for.
Either way

I don't really think the taxes are the issue based off many comments in those discussions.
It's just a clever out

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

You brought it up.

Like I said, we'd be better off relying on each other than govt.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

You brought it up.

Like I said, we'd be better off relying on each other than govt.

It's no fun relying on the gov but people are not reliable either.

It's a problem

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join