It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used a charity foodbank today never been more ashamed in my life

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SerenTheUniverse

sold my vehicle to raise money to save the roof over my head, walking is good haha!

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
dont be ashamed

agree

but where are all these huge hearts when it comes to the food stamp discussions and such

a whole lot of F em get a job types in those threads

do what you have to do dude

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

shame is the word it's got groove it's got fill in the blanks lol....

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
dont be ashamed

agree

but where are all these huge hearts when it comes to the food stamp discussions and such

Why are you always looking to start something?

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

dont be ashamed

agree

All the food stamp threads I've read have a common theme. People don't like when others abuse the system. Or when there are generations on them without ever having a job. The OP is exactly opposite of that. He/She is trying, and he feels shame. He doesn't want to have to get help.

That is exactly the kind of person that help was intended for.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

dont be ashamed

agree

We don't mind helping people and even being very generous about it. Help from private charity is a way better method.

As others mentioned, it's those who abuse the system which is in fact stealing from taxpayers.

This is a whole other thing and it's a shame you felt the need to muddy up the thread. You need to stay out of the political forums for a while so you can tell the difference.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
While back I inherited 4 kids, came with a single mom and with their always expenses needed to go to food bank once in a while.

But it was SOMETHING but next to nothing really, half what they give you ya don't want and what you do, not much of.

I realize they only give what they got but really wasn't worth it, plus it's always a back or side door somewhere in a kinda crappy area,

My experience anyway

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Don't be ashamed.
You're in a situation not of your making.
You need to keep your health and strength.
I wish you better days ahead!!!!

I'm grateful to the soup kitchens and pantries out there that can help people in your situation.
I only do one charity, and that is a local soup kitchen.
I've given money and seeds over the years, they also have a big garden....and various other programs like reading and substance abuse.

(post by Raggedyman removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   

No need to feel ashmed. You needed help.

If you would like to give back, then why not voulenteer your time to your local food bank until you find a job. I know my local food bank is always looking for voulenteers.

My dad has for at least the past 5 years as well as recieve food. My parents are retired and now in their 70's.

After you find a job, they could always use food donations.

God bless you. May Jesus help you get back on your feet.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

dont be ashamed

agree

Charity is a voluntary issue, taxation is not. Taxes should not be used to force charity. Volunteering and being generous in choosing to give are virtues. When the state takes over issues that should be only in the purview of charitable ventures, then the politicians who endorse these taxpayer funded exercises nearly rupture a disk patting themselves on the back over their "generosity" with other peoples' money, it's a problem.

As an aside, congrats on being "that guy" and breaking the streak at 2+ pages before someone decided to try and conflate charity with taxation and forced wealth redistribution. It must be a stunningly proud moment.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You're fine. You should never be ashamed. Glad there was a place that could help. This afternoon, I'm washing dishes at a local church who is doing a dinner.

Just focus on getting back on your feet.

S'all good.

When the discussion is political and about immigration you and other right wing members can sound really callous and unforgiving but it turns out as we see in this thread you and others do have big hearts, I'm pleasantly surprised DB...

edit on 6-2-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Excellent. Think tactically: You no longer have to expend energy focusing on hunger and groceries, and now can use that energy to focus on finding a new job.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Sorry to hear about your hard times, I wish there were a way we could all just click a button and donate here on ATS...

Guessing it would just get abused by the numerous scammers sadly.

Glad to hear about the possible job though, do they have gig economy stuff like Uber, Lyft, and Grubhub there in the UK?

I know you don't have a car but if and when you get one it might be an option for something to fall back on in the future.

I lost my job over a year ago and have been doing food delivery work full time instead and have no desire to go back to another job.

The pay isn't that great but I work when I want and as long as I want and the flexibility is worth the lower pay.

Thanks for inspiring some of us to get off our rear ends and go out and volunteer.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I go to the foodbank sometimes here, not so much because I need the food, because I like the people that are giving out the food and know many of the people who get food. Most people are strapped for money around here, lots of people go to them. You just need to say you need food to qualify, and stand in the line for a while. I usually go get the food and redistribute it to some people I know that need my share more than I do. My oldest daughter has five kids, they can use the food and her husband usually is working during the food distribution times. A couple of my other daughters employees need food too, I give some to them. They are working but my daughter will give them the hour off if they want to go and get the food. I always have qualified because of my disability from the accident and I humbled myself to go there and get it. I will never regret that, it taught me that nobody is far from being broke.

I used to donate more to the foodbank than what I actually got, but now other charities have taken over so they do not put out the bottle. A couple of churches are purchasing the food through the foodbank, it costs about fifteen cents a pound and they feel great having the drive and helping people. I will have to give them a hundred bucks someday again when I am there. A hundred bucks buys fifteen hundred pounds of food, food that is donated by companies and the money is for the cost of trucking it up here.

Don't feel bad about taking the food OP, it is a service, just remember to give them a donation when you get back on your feet again so they can keep on helping people in need. Some people are working two jobs and still need food because they do not want to take welfare to help. I think it would be more of a bad feeling to be using the government food card myself, I mean, if I had to I would, but I would much rather go stand in a line with a tub to get some stuff, I like it when they have cucumbers and cabbage and potatoes and carrots. The bad potatoes and outer leaves of the cabbage I feed to the deer. They are in need too.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I know that feeling my friend.
That humble feeling of I can’t believe it’s happened to me.

I got laid off about 12 years ago. After a month of waiting for employment insurance to kick in we were down to the last box of rice, and square of butter.
There was a huge backlog with EI.
I was told that it would be at least another 2 weeks before I got my first payment.

Me, my wife and 3 children walked into the church and I had to ask for help.
At first i felt incredibly ashamed.
The twat - or so I thought she was, very rudely said I needed to register before coming.
I told her that I’ve never had to use a food bank before so I didn’t know the process.
She was really bitchy at first.

I told her I was sorry and we began to leave. Then she actually apologized to us.
Said she was having a long day.
I told her “ya we’ve been having a long month.”
She got a large box and filled to to the top with food.
And not just canned food either.
There was frozen hamburgers, fries.
Fresh vegetables...the whole bit.

She sent us off and said for us to register to them.
So I did, but thankfully my EI came in about a week later.

Once I got back to work, we donated $100 back to the church food bank.

I think the hardest part was having the kids there.
I’m a very prideful man.
I didn’t want my kids to ever see me like that.

But you have to do what you have to do.

You will be okay

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   

This is what a compassionate society does. You shouldn't feel ashamed. This is what Jesus Christ preached to the masses. To help those in need. The people who have volunteered to help those in need are doing just that. These volunteered workers are really the unsung hero's that get no attention or accolades.

I always thought it was ignorant to name places and streets after politicians. Instead, the people that give their life to helping the poor, the homeless and those in need should be given such honors.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Just throwing out an idea.

I was talking to my neighbor and brother over a year ago about how much food gets wasted every day in our homes.

We decided to try something new. When we cook we send meals to each other's houses. It has worked amazingly well. Gives us alternating days off from cooking, and there is very little waste.

Don't know if you have a friend or family member you can team up with, but it has saved us quite a bit of money and has greatly reduced the amount of food waste.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I'm replying before reading the thread. I do not do that often. I was laid off due to budget concerns in '08. Collected what the fed let me, while working gig to gig. No shame. But good on you for looking out for yourself and your situation, and not more.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   

While you feel ashamed, we're proud of you. You didn't give up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join