It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used a charity foodbank today never been more ashamed in my life

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
so I got laid off months ago, haven't been able to find work and had been living hand to mouth on minimum wage anyway. I was down to my last 3 cans of sliced carrots and just can't afford to borrow off anyone or have food at friend's houses too often, so i walked to the charity which helps poor and homeless people and shamefully walked in to ask if they could help me.
They were lovely, really kind and nice, i had about 25 cans of soups, meats, and vegetables including chopped tomatoes, 500gm of rice, pack of spaghetti, powdered soups, noodles, raspberry jam, tea bags, even a big bar of chocolate. I nearly cried i was so grateful. was really heavy to carry home there was so much food.

They then said to me if I want a hot meal they start serving at 6:30pm, it's chicken casserole with roast potatoes tonight so call back, i thanked them and said they had given me enough food to help me, but when i am back on my feet working I will pay you back, this is a loan to me. they smiled and said any help for us is as needed as the help we give, just being good humans.
i was ashamed to seek help today but humbled by my help, i shall see if they need any help say washing up, cleaning or whatever as payback.

so has anyone else reached such a low you've had to do similar?

+20 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SerenTheUniverse

You're fine. You should never be ashamed. Glad there was a place that could help. This afternoon, I'm washing dishes at a local church who is doing a dinner.

Just focus on getting back on your feet.

S'all good.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Never ever be ashamed of doing what you have to do to survive.

You are far too dear to the universe to waste because of circumstance beyond your control.

Best of luck to you going forward!

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

don't feel a bit guilty. That place is there for EXACTLY your situation. You were grateful for the help, and truly appreciated what those people did for you. I hope you get back on your feet soon and never forget their kindness. This is how it's supposed to work.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I completely agree with DB and Bhadhidar! Never feel ashamed! it is very humbling thing to do of course but nothing to be ashamed about. Just remember to pay it forward. You have to give to receive.

Sending positive vibes your way. You will be back on your feet in no time!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think it must take real bravery to admit your at that point so I think you should focus on the fact that you've had the strength to do what you must to survive.

Its also really nice that these kind of places exist to help those in need.

I hope this is a short-term problem for you and you get back on your feet quick enough.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   

We all occasionally need a hand up. That's what places like that are for. When we all give to them, it's because we all know someday, we might need a hand up ourselves.

And that's how you look at it -- it's not a hand out. It's a hand up. You're taking what you need today, so that tomorrow, you'll be in a place where you can give someone else that hand up they will need.

We belong to our churches (or faith groups), families, and neighborhoods in the hopes that those communities will be strong and take care of each other with places like this, with these hand ups, turn and turn about.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think you should be proud that you used existing sources for food that you needed. You didn't expect the Government to help you and you availed yourself of the generosity of others that I know would be thrilled they were able to help you out. You shouldn't be ashamed. People that expect Government to take care of them are the ones who should be ashamed.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

No reason to feel ashamed if you needed it. But what irks me about the food pantries is when the news media shows up and bothers the people eating so they can make a story. Just think how ashamed some of those people who just wanted a meal feel about that . Pretty bogus if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
We're all here to help each other.

As sensitive as you are, I am sure you have done things to help others. It usually comes around. Each experience contributes to the person you have become and are becoming. You are still you - with or without money.

Paying it forward is the highest thank you to those who have helped you.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420

No reason to feel ashamed if you needed it. But what irks me about the food pantries is when the news media shows up and bothers the people eating so they can make a story. Just think how ashamed some of those people who just wanted a meal feel about that . Pretty bogus if you ask me.

Yeah, well the press has no shame about anything. It's the same impulse that leads them shove their microphones into the faces of people who have survived and lost their whole family ...

"You just lost four members of your family in a fiery, horrific wreck. How do you feel ..."

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
thanks for the replies

I just had half the can of chicken in a white sauce on a bed of rice and it was delicious
cannot thank the charity enough, my 3 cans of carrots this morning were not looking inviting and i didn't want to go borrowing money off a mate not sure when i can pay them back, so i crawled with my tail between my legs to the local charity, it still feels shameful, i have always worked from 14 to make my own money

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I give canned goods to a local food bank every month and my wife does the same at her church. We don't do it to feel superior or to make others feel ashamed.
We do it because we can.
The food is there for a reason so don't hesitate to utilize the help.

My only suggestion is that when you are back on your feet and in a position to give to others that you take the opportunity to do so.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Don't be ashamed. I too sometimes volunteer at a nonprofit food bank and we have a warehouse full of food;
So much in fact that it often spoils and is taken to the land fill. We are just one of many food banks for the elderly, low income citizens.
I consider it a pleasure and an honor to be in the position to pay it forward. Not that long ago I was living in my car and dependent on the generosity of strangers and family.

edit on 6-2-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Nothing to be ashamed of my friend, thats exactly why resources are there. So many people one pay check away from being in the same boat. You take care of yourself and this will just be a bump in the road.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Just remember to give back when your back on top. Keeps you humble

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Nothing to feel ashamed about. These places exist to help people in need.

I sincerely hope that your situation soon improves so that you will no longer
struggle for your next meal!

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
everyone has been really understanding thank you, i was expecting at least one comment telling me i should have planned better, well I did and now i have finally run out of money while searching for work. the food today will keep me from being hungry for 2 weeks at least if I am careful, i am so so so grateful, never thought about the people who get the canned food i have put in the donation basket at the supermarket then I become one of them. when i am working again i will make sure i donate more.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I used to live in a van down by the river.

No shame in being down and out.
Only shame is giving up.
edit on 2 6 2019 by dashen because: Not kidding

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I know it’s a hard feeling to fight but you shouldn’t feel bad about this. You needed a little help in a rough time and that’s exactly what these places are for.

The only people who should feel ashamed are the people who abuse that system. My father in law went to donate to a local food drive around thanksgiving once, on his way out he saw a guy with a brand new truck, nicer than my father in laws, taking boxes full of food home and chatting loudly with his wife about how they can take as much as they want cause it’s “free”.

You are not the problem, your just someone who needed a little help, like we all do time to time.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join