It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used a charity foodbank today never been more ashamed in my life

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Absolutely no reason to feel embarrassed or ashamed.
We all need a little help now and then.

When you get back on your feet...just pay their kindness forward when someone, one day, asks you for help.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SerenTheUniverse

Been there. No shame at all. Pick yourself up and get back on your feet.

Just don't stop moving and don't get so down that you stop doing what you're doing.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

i've been lucky always kept a roof over my head always been number one thing for me, it's why my savings have all rinsed out, paying the mortgage, there is a factory job going with an agency which i may be able to start monday, they pay weekly as well, but no vehicle and no public transport there in the sticks, 6 mile walk, hope will find someone who wants to car share but first day I am walking, I lied because the agency insist you must have your own transport, i ticked yes, because technically my legs are my own transport lol

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

These people are a necessary part of the economy. Not everyone can always make ends meet, so there has to be someone there to stand in the gap.

Don't be ashamed but do consider giving back when you are up on your feet again. Even a few cans of food a week, which would cost you small change, may be a lifesaver for those in need.

Cheers to the volunteers!

I also hope you get back on your feet soon, as well. Remember that you have needs for more things than just food. Sometimes the social get togethers that these good people offer are also a place of safety and friendship if you have time on your hands. Check them out.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Don't be ashamed. And yes pay them back and more when you are back going again. Bless you for not turning to a life of crime. That's the easy way out and in the long run you'll be more ashamed of that.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Just the fact you realize it’s a blessing.

Speaks volumes to your character.

When you get back on your feet, Pay it forward.

What kind of work do you do ?

What Region do you reside ?

This community is capable of great things.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

About 20 years ago I found myself

In a situation where I had to visit the local foodbank.

I was shocked at all the people driving new Cadillacs and wearing expensive clothes and jewellery with that same attitude " Imma take it cuz its free!"

Scumbags.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This thread has inspired me to buy a little extra at grocery store to drop off at food bank when I have the extra cash. Everyone needs a lift sometimes and I'm just a unseen calamity from needing it myself.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

oh man it was lovely being with other poor people, really friendly, homeless folk watching tv and keeping warm, poor people like me begging for a food parcel, staff who were just so so so kind and caring, i was humbled and everything i eat I am grateful for. i didn't want the hot meal because they had given me enough and I didn't want to take what i didn't need. when humans are at their lowest it goes two ways as i see it either zombie or the kindest of kind, got the kindest of kind today

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

thank you, i will

I'm in the middle of england done a bit of everything from farm work to factories and retail lol, i'll start the factory monday and run with that, more to work than money, human contact, day is boring when all your friends are at work

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I cook at my local soup kitchen a couple times a month. There's nothing to be ashamed of and the people like me who do that are not looking for thanks or acknowledgement as it often makes the recipients feel unnecessarily shamed or guilty. I just do my thing and leave out the back door.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

wow that is a beautiful thing you do, the gratitude i felt was totally real today, people who volunteer are totally amazing

just to add, the people at the foodbank who helped me today are all volunteers, even the CEO or whatever they call them is a volunteer, no wages for it, just wanting to help people, so beautiful

edit on 6-2-2019 by SerenTheUniverse because: just to add

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   
You have nothing to be ashamed of. I donate to our local charities/food banks for people like yourself who have fallen on hard times. Many years ago, I came close myself. It's not your fault you got layed off from your job. Your being grateful speaks volumes of your good character. So...enjoy your food without the guilt.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

You have the exact right attitude about it. Take the help and pay it back when you can.

I was homeless for a short period in the mid 1980's after a messy breakup with my first wife. A friend said you need help so ask for it, so I did. I was able to work for a charity in exchange for food and a place to stay while I got back up and went back to school for a second degree.

To make it right I've raised millions for charity over the last thirty years and we take a load to the local food bank a few times year. We just fill up the back of our SUV with food and drop it off.

It's how it should be. Willing givers give to genuinely needy people and they give it back plus some.

Work is a great way to pay it back. Help them serve meals.

No shame in it at all.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SerenTheUniverse

just to add, the people at the foodbank who helped me today are all volunteers, even the CEO or whatever they call them is a volunteer, no wages for it, just wanting to help people, so beautiful

The foodbank near where I cook are the ones providing the food along with us volunteers so we wouldn't be able to feed everyone without their help. When you get things squared away you can always 'pay it back' by volunteering at either, they always need help.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
thanks folks been a crazy trip being on the poor street but the help for fellow humans out there humbled me today, i even thanked corporate industry supermarkets because many tins have a dent in them lol, i am so so so grateful

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
There's no reason to be ashamed, and if anyone tries to tell you otherwise, they're an ass not fit for existence.

Situations like yours are the reason why my husband had his employer set up an automatic donation from his paycheck to a local food bank. One way or the other, someone with nothing to eat WILL have it even if we have a little less grocery money to work with ourselves. Having BTDT in the past ourselves, it's more than worth it -- hunger sucks and there's no excuse for it in such an agriculturally prosperous country.
edit on 2/6/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

link   

I grew up quite poor in Chicago.
More often than not, our food would come from the local food pantry or church when what stamps we had ran out. Clothes came from the Salvation Army or other Thrift store. Books. Toys.
It all seemed very shameful. Even spent a year homeless with my father, in a 2nd flr apartment with no walls, heat/hot water. It's a slow climb up.
But never feel ashamed for accepting help when you need it. We can all hit dire straits. Don't let it get you down. Let it motivate you to get you where you want to be. It can be disheartening and downright soul rending at times.
Never quit.

Peace and good luck to you.

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

i will definitely pay it back, crappy factory job 6 mile walk away to start, will def find someone who drives somewhere close first day then pay them money to pick me up and take me home. definitely payback is due to the charity though totally changed my crisis life today lol

edit on 6-2-2019 by SerenTheUniverse because: added more words

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I grew up with an Asian upbringing.

Shame is part of the culture and not necessarily seen as a bad thing. (more like growing pains/ a learning experience)
It means you want better for yourself and family.

It's also a tool to reflect on a time period and what you could do differently to not experience it again.

I wish more people would feel shame, I think our world would be a better place.

edit on 6-2-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join