It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ramen Madness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I made the mistake of getting hungry for some real ramen. You get a cheap little wrap with a serving suggestion, and you know you'd much rather have what's on the picture there.

I know I will have to make it myself.

It seems pretty simple, and maybe I can do the pork neck bones in a pressure cooker to speed up the process?

Anyone ever tried making their own? Anyone ever get the ramen madness? Yeah I think I'll be skipping the last step on this video totally had me fooled!

edit on 27-1-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Made far too many ramen and beef jerky meals while on week plus camping trips. I always went for chicken and never had the beef ramen for whatever reason. But peas, carrots and potatoes made for a tasty ramen stew.

Now my cousin would leave out the flavor packet and over cook the noodles and serve as a side dish

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
We make our own for cheap often. There is a brand of ramen in the Asian food specialty isle called nissa...they have a tonkatsu flavor that is actually pretty decent. Instead of water we make our own pork stock to cook the noodles in. Add some shredded pork loin and an egg poached on top...its a beautiful thing for like 5-6$ a bowl.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

You have a pressure cooker? Easy peasy.

]]]

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

At least that was a legit video unlike the one I posted

I got trolled hard.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

That you did my friend

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

My favorite is to buy some spicy ramen (the real kind from an Asian store) and
put in a raw egg while it is boiling, and then add leftover steak/roast/brisket.
That is some serious yummy stuff right there.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I had ramen, have been known to go hungry instead of eating it.

However ...

Once or twice I have made something I call faux phô. I'll let you do the brain work.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Nothing like real ramen, truly a fabulous dish.

I've made different variations from scratch and it takes some time and a little effort.

Sometimes I cheat though. Start with a little bit of salt pork, add some slices shiitake mushrooms in a frying pan...

Then this

Boil with whatever fresh veggies you like.

Sometimes I'll go Thai an add red curry and lemon grass.

But that's still no real substitute.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   
When I moved to San Francisco I saw ramen restaurants around everywhere and I was like wtf? Why would there be ramen noodle restaurants? The same noodles I ate in college?

Then I tried it, and realized there’s as much difference between package ramen noodles and real ramen as there is between a frozen burger and a New York strip.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I would compare real ramen to pho to anyone who's never had it.

Ramen is relatively new to Japanese cuisine in context to everything else.

There are so many variations, and unlike other parts of Japanese cusine/culture, almost anything goes as long as it tastes good.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Never had actual ramen, other then the package ones. But a year or so ago I went through a Pho Madness trip. I was making it every other weekend. Maybe will give this a try when I have more time. Looks good.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird

Never had actual ramen, other then the package ones. But a year or so ago I went through a Pho Madness trip. I was making it every other weekend. Maybe will give this a try when I have more time. Looks good.

Real ramen reminds me of pho, just more variations (aside from not being rice noodles).

The broth has incredible depth, and the accouterments just set it off.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I have, it's one of those things where the juice isn't worth the squeeze unless you're making it for a large group. I prefer to use David Chang's recipe for tonkatsu where you raost the pork bones before adding them to the broth, it provides another layer of flavor to the ramen.

FYI: The guy in the video is a scuzz, he needs to clean his friggin range top, it's filthy.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I slice up sausage (kielbasa, chicken sausage, Italian sausage, etc.) in thin slices and toss it in. Also I usually add a handful of frozen veggies (peas, carrots, green beans, broccoli) and add a healthy blast of Sriracha pepper sauce.

I never use the little foil package of death powder; too dang salty.

posted on Jan, 27 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

FYI: The guy in the video is a scuzz, he needs to clean his friggin range top, it's filthy.

It's actually a joke video from a joke channel I got trolled on today while looking up recipes.

(Watch the last couple minutes.)

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
It's actually a joke video from a joke channel I got trolled on today while looking up recipes.

(Watch the last couple minutes.)

I did, his range is still gross.

And try the Chang recipe, you'll love it.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Not real ramen. Real ramen they have special cooks that slow cook the broth for like 8 hours.

FYI guys, packeted ramen isn’t real, legit ramen.

a reply to: Ahabstar

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I have ramen madness, but for the Japanese ramen restaurants in nyc or japan, not the packaged junk. Most of us would be hard pressed to make the real thing.

posted on Jan, 28 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Have you had real ramen not the packaged stuff? A lot of people haven’t.

a reply to: incoserv

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join