It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA Memo 1986 On Syria & ME

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:39 AM
link   
CIA Memo
Syria

"We judge that U.S. interests in #Syria probably would be best served by a Sunni regime as it may well include relative moderates interested in securing western aid and investment. Such a regime would probably be less inclined to escalate tensions with #Israel"

"The economy is #Syria 's most pressing internal problem, and hopes for near-term improvement are dim. The US Embassy reports that the vast majority of Syrians are finding it increasingly difficult to afford basic necessities"

The use of Ethnic sectarianism/Russia's influence

On Syrian involvement in #Lebanon, "we believe Assad is "determined to achieve Syrian hegemony in order to check #Israel 's influence and prevent Lebanon from becoming a base for subversion against #Syria"

Syria is the centerpiece of Moscow's influence in the Middle East. Moscow thus has a vested interest in major policy shifts or changes in Syrian leadership. In spite of his dependence on Soviet military aid, Assad has remained wary of excessive Soviet influence"

"Sunnis make up 60% of Syrian officer corp. We believe that a renewal of communal violence between Alawis and Sunnis could inspire Sunnis in the military to turn against the regime"

"Rivalries among Alawi clans & tribes exist; should a power struggle develop in the military or the Govt among Alawi elites, we believe factions based on clans or tribal loyalties could form"

Muslim Brotherhood of Syria

"Although the Muslim Brotherhood's suppression drastically reduced armed dissidence, we judge significant potential still exists for another Sunni opposition movement"

Since Assad crushed the MB, deep-seated tensions remain--keeping alive the potential for minor incidents to grow into major flareups of communal violence. For example, disgruntlement over price hikes, altercations between Sunni citizens and security forces

"Excessive Govt force in quelling disturbances might be seen by Sunnis as evidence of Govt vendetta against all Sunnis, precipitating even larger protests by other Sunni groups. Sunni merchants & artisans probably would launch protests"

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Its an interesting read showing how everything was already planned for the regime change in Syria all the way back in 1986. Washington DC and the Elitists wanted a Pro Sunni/American govt to be installed in Syria.

They wanted a puppet government in Syria so that Israelis would have easily controlled more of the Golan Heights. And maybe even more then just Golan Heights.

Whats more rather ironic is how in the memo they mentioned just how they planned or wanted the whole plan to unfold through the use of ethnic sectarianism while blaming the attacks on the Syrian govt and Assad gov.

They knew about the Muslim Brotherhood of Syria but apparently according to the memo they aren't bothered by them.

edit on 17-1-2019 by AtlasHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:26 AM
link   
i didn't read it as a game plan, more like multiple what if's

i didn't see anything where it says, america should do this to cause that.

it was enjoyable reading....and also i am a dork, but hey

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Its more of a game plan what if's. Not to mention the shadowy role that NGOs had in Syria in 2011 to prop up the protests across Syria.
edit on 17-1-2019 by AtlasHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Out of curiosity why are there hash tags in front of state actors in quote here but not that I see in the PDF?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve
Out of curiosity why are there hash tags in front of state actors in quote here but not that I see in the PDF?

That bothered me too 😂

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

i didn't see anything where it says, america should do this to cause that.

hey

Well...how much of it has actually happened?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
1986 was over thirty years ago. So, what plans do they have for us that are in motion now? Where do they want to see is in 30 years? Clearly, SOME sort of plan is in place that either dissolves the U.S. or makes it subservient to other powers.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
How much weight did this memo carry?

I was in Lebanon in 1986-89; the CIA stopped aiding phalangist militias in the Bekah valley, and gave intel to Hezbolah and Syrian Units dealing with Druze Militias in the Mts.

Lebanon was a pro-western democracy with a majority-Christian government and majority Christian population in 1986.

The UN and US peacekeeping troops withdrew and let the "green line" in Beirut collapse during the summer of 1987, handing the nation over to Assad and (Iranian sock-puppet) Hezbolah.

1987-1991 The biggest bloodbath in the ME since the collapse of the Ottoman Empire. And president Bush (ex CIA director) told Assad we wouldn't stop them.

Is that reflected in the above purported policy memo?

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

The Democrats had a plan to destroy America.

Good thing Trump decided to stop them.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

The UN and US peacekeeping troops withdrew and let the "green line" in Beirut collapse during the summer of 1987, handing the nation over to Assad and (Iranian sock-puppet) Hezbolah.

Are you aware that Hezbolah was supported by the west and America during the war in Yugoslavia agaisnt the Christian Serbs?

This fact is widely unreported and never mentioned by MSM for obvious reasons. The west gave arms to Hezbolah.

Whats more ironic about this is that the west now accuses Russia of terrorism for aiding and supporting the group. Even though the west did the same dealings with Hezbolah agaisnt the Serbs in Bosnia.

Is that reflected in the above purported policy memo?

Most of it.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AtlasHawk

Yes I was aware.

You ought to listen to a Serb explain their view of the Balkan war.

The UN demolished Christian Churches and BUILT MOSQUES while they removed Bosnian Serbs from the playing field.

Because the Serbs were "involved in ethnic cleansing".

WTF.

The Christian minority in Syria fully supports Assad because he defended them against Sunni death squads.

Most of the Christian community outside of "the West" favors Russia over the USA because Putin is seen as defending Christians.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Because the Serbs were "involved in ethnic cleansing".

In the Balkan wars both sides were committing ethnic cleansing. Serbs were protecting themselves from the Bosnian gov side. While Croatians were driving out Serbs and Muslim out of their areas.

However the fake news MSM just painted everything on the Serbs.
They wanted just one bad guy.

Do i need to remind you about all those Hollywood trashy movies how they portrayed the Serbs as the terrorists?

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Truth.

All sides were doing "ethnic cleansing," even/especially the UN.

Picking a side amounts to ethnic cleansing.

There were, in reality, about 2000 people killed in ethnic genocide, total, by ALL actors on all sides. The combat casualties were what, 75,000-100,000?:

edit to add:
The fact is, once Tito was dead, no force on earth could have held Yugoslavia together. The major powers found it more covenient to deal with fewer state actors. We have entered a stage of decentralization worldwide. And the map is re-drawing it self. Yugoslavia could not have been a unified state without Tito. Iraq should be 3 states (one of them being Kurdistan).

Part of the problem has been Americas long-standing attempts at detente with Iran. We have given them everything, to try and make up for meddling in their government/ mosadegh.

Iran is trying to keep the Kurds from becoming a nation state. They and turkey would both lose on unacceptable amounts of land to a greater Kurdistan. The fact is the Islamic revolution of 79 was as much an ethnic as an anti-colonial revolution. Iran will have to make their state about more than the Persian people, if they are going to survive long-term. The West needs to stop helping Iran oppress the Kurds.

edit on 18-1-2019 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Kurds are living in such fantasy Utopia, a single state like Kurdistan Nation would never stand on its two feet. Look at Kosovo after all the blood and war and removing a province from Serbia by force was it worth it? no.

Kosovo to this day has no prosperity. Kosovo is being run and controlled by criminals. In Bosnia Muslim government are ignoring their own people. While still pretending to them that they care about the people.

There were, in reality, about 2000 people killed in ethnic genocide, total, by ALL actors on all sides. The combat casualties were what, 75,000-100,000?:

Majority of all the casualties were all Male and young child soldiers in the war, recruited by Islamists in Bosnia. You expose this to the media and the media will call you an denier of genocide.

But both sides had casualties, media just picked one side. Just like how they were doing so in Libya and Syria, they always chose one bad guy and one good guy.

The Balkans in the near future will have another conflict. But MSM will have a hard time convincing the western audience to blame everything on the Christians.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Interesting choice of words; surprised to see Syria mentioned in relation to Iran as sort of a contingency, condition, or collateral damage:

join