It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we ever have an extended national blackout.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

You're not crazy. It'd do many a world of good.

I've discovered that I don't mind not having internet--though I don't mind having it, either.

I have a myriad of ways to entertain my self that don't involve electronics of any sort.

It'd take me a couple of hours to build a stove to keep myself warm, and there's fuel everywhere. 'course, I'm something of a country boy...so.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

My concern is that too many people will throw in the towel and believe there is no life without electricity. I didn't have electricity or running water when I was a child, so it wouldn't be that hard for me.

I would love to think that there would more enclaves like the suburban community that they portrayed in the movie "The Domestics" Interesting movie by the way, not great but interesting.

Yes there will be gangs and areas of lawlessness, it doesn't mean they have to win.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   

You missed the massive ice storm in KC didn't you?

You think this was bad? This wasn't even a bad temperature range. It was actually a "nice" snowstorm for this area. Wait until this weekend. They are talking repeat ... only with wind and real cold temperatures. The local weather blog guy thinks his forecasted high of 13 for Sunday might be 10 degrees too warm!

So you better prepare now and get ready.
FRENCH TOAST ALERT! FRENCH TOAST ALERT!

Seriously the ice storm we had years ago was worse. It was actually averaging colder and people were without power for well over a week or more during that one.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: headorheart

It really is pathetic how reliant we as people have become on technology and convenience.

I live in central IL. We got around a foot of snow. I had to run to Walmart (it is just the closest) after work and I kid you not - no milk, no meat, few cases of water, lines backed up down the aisles, people arguing.

I'm not saying become some crazy hoarder with 7098 cases of water and 2137 cans of ravioli stashed in your basement. However, if some snow is the apocalypse, maybe everyone should be a littler more prepared. Flashlights and blankets go a long way.

You aint kidding. And I am guilty .

Was talking to my neighbor and said the worst part is I cant charge my phone lol. If thats the worst part I am way to reliant on my phone.

Invest in a phone charger for your car, your welcome

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You missed the massive ice storm in KC didn't you?

You think this was bad? This wasn't even a bad temperature range. It was actually a "nice" snowstorm for this area. Wait until this weekend. They are talking repeat ... only with wind and real cold temperatures. The local weather blog guy thinks his forecasted high of 13 for Sunday might be 10 degrees too warm!

So you better prepare now and get ready.
FRENCH TOAST ALERT! FRENCH TOAST ALERT!

Seriously the ice storm we had years ago was worse. It was actually averaging colder and people were without power for well over a week or more during that one.

I didnt say this storm was that bad. It was bad for me because I lost power lol.

I was here for the massive Ice storm and we got lucky on that one. so it wasnt that bad ... for me .

The one we had last July was about the worst the city has seen.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: headorheart

It really is pathetic how reliant we as people have become on technology and convenience.

I live in central IL. We got around a foot of snow. I had to run to Walmart (it is just the closest) after work and I kid you not - no milk, no meat, few cases of water, lines backed up down the aisles, people arguing.

I'm not saying become some crazy hoarder with 7098 cases of water and 2137 cans of ravioli stashed in your basement. However, if some snow is the apocalypse, maybe everyone should be a littler more prepared. Flashlights and blankets go a long way.

You aint kidding. And I am guilty .

Was talking to my neighbor and said the worst part is I cant charge my phone lol. If thats the worst part I am way to reliant on my phone.

Invest in a phone charger for your car, your welcome

Have one its slow and were trying to keep 2 phones and a tablet charged with one car charger lol.

And were always on the phone with no power because there is nothing else to do. So its always dead and you know the 4 year old better have his damm tablet.
edit on 14-1-2019 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   

My parents live in the country. They lost power during that ice storm for over a month.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

LOL!!!
" Four yr old better have his tablet" cracked me up!!!" altho ain't THAT the truth.

Had an outage here in Nov, walking in the door from work just in time for to happen. The ensuing scramble was epic.
Get kerosine heater out, much cussing cause didn't get wick ready.
Find Kerosine.
Find jar candles & glass toppers that disperse light, much cussing cause I'd packed them in a random tote an had to go thru about 10 to find them.
Remembered to quit panicking cause tea lights, oriental battery operated paper lanterns right in living room closet.
Ran all over hanging them up.

The lanterns not the tea lights.

Grabbed camp stove & propane canisters out of the garage
Lugged up multiple 2 gal water containers upstairs for bathroom

More cussing cause I was thirsty, but saving water for emergencies (LOL)
Still hadn't eaten by 10pm, began ransacking food room for anything edible that didn't need heated up.

Power came back on as I was enjoying some cold Chef Boyardee.
EPIC Facepalm
MORE cussing

Had to run around re-setting clocks, checking serge protectors an blowing out candles.

I can honestly deduce that in a prolonged power outage most people will be too busy to be freaking out to be doing anti-social things. It's going to be more like a prolonged scavenger hunt in the house to find all the necessary crap that got squirreled away. At least for "normal" people.

One of the highlights was spending time searching for a P-38 till I remembered I don't even own a electric can opener!
Only manual ones.
DUH!

edit on 14-1-2019 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

My parents live in the country. They lost power during that ice storm for over a month.

I bet they own a generator or 2 now. unless they already did lol

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Cracking up.

Funny but true.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Going without music would be a tough road to walk!

But sure, processing wood for fires and, ideally, working with groups who hadn't lost their minds would soon be pretty cool. I subscribe to the notion that most people will go insane and start looting and killing. I hold out some hope that the psychos are outnumbered by average people and might not be as big an issue as our apocalyptic imaginings tell us.

A lot of westerners in isolated areas would barely notice the SHTF whilst major city centres would be like 90s' Rwanda crossed with WW2 Poland crossed with 28 Days Later.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I have to agree with everyone saying chaos in the cities. Hell, it's 99% there already. Rural America would survive much longer.

If it lasted more than a few weeks I would head home.

KC to OC is about 350 miles

If it lasted more than a few weeks and then you decide to go home it will be extremely difficult. By then you can forget about gas stations, so you will have to walk, cycle or ride a horse, chances are you will not make it...

Start prepping

edit on 15-1-2019 by szino9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Music... Hadn't thought about that. I'm sort of, kinda, a little bit, of one. Or, the noise I make isn't too painful to listen to.

I think a lot of people, after the initial panic--and there'd be a lot of it--would take a look around 'em and notice that people like, not to toot my own horn, myself are perfectly willing to teach 'em what I know. All I'll ask of them is that they help me help them. Work is easier with three or four pairs of hands, rather then one.

Because there will be people out there who want to take, by whatever means, instead of work, there is security in numbers.

Even in the cities, if you don't panic, or minimize it, it can be done. Get your group together, family, trusted friends, etc..., and you sit down and work it out. Water. Food. Shelter. Cities are full of that stuff. It'll be more dangerous than in the countryside, but how many people are used to, or trained in, hunting and gathering, these days? It might actually be easier, with certain adjustments, to survive in an environment that is, at least somewhat, familiar...

I would not be comfortable in say New York, or Los Angeles, Seattle, etc... I'd be much more comfortable in the countryside. The same can not be said for people who've been no further away from Brooklyn than Manhattan. Or a wilderness any wilder than Central Park at noon...

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

We lost power here this past winter...a transformer blew, and the power station went poof at the same time.

Whole town was shut down nearly.

Well, we'd packed everything getting ready to move, as it turned out, next month... Candles. Extra batteries. Extra blankets... Y'know the drill.

So, managed to find a few candles, and hurricane lamps that hadn't been packed away for some reason... Cooked over the BBQ pit--damned cold in January...I might add--in the back yard. Unpacked the blankets. Pro-tip: Label moving boxes!!

I was actually having fun. It got a little bit cold, thankfully nothing froze. Couple days later, everything was back up.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
A phone charger for the big SHTF there won't be phones anyway. Like gas it'll all be gone in a week. The ugly will arrive fast.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

And if it is a real SHTF scenario, you may not want to transmit your location.

If those functions still work, the local government may just be scouting for supplies to meet the needs of the the general community. Hoarding will be a crime, may even be punishable by death.

Of course their families and their patrollers will be of the highest priority.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

No they wouldnt because the crazy starving zombie hoards would kill them and take their shi after about 2 months

That's where the cannibalism comes in. We're armed. Come and take it. I've been wondering what 'clueless fool' tastes like.

A extended power outage, say two weeks, would see a complete shift in our nation. Cities would become ruins, and we'd lose over half of the population, I am certain. Rural life would simply revert back 50 years.

TheRedneck

(post by soundguy removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

Liberal means wanting change, whether for the better or worse. Conservative means resisting change and only allowing it after examining historic evidence or testing if it will actually work.

I used to be a Liberal, but after seeing how the changes were not being evaluated correctly, I am now leaning conservative and would like to see some of the screwed up changes reversed.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Where did I use the word liberal? I don’t have any love for the far left liberal types. I just hate the creep towards fascism we are experiencing. If conservatives were to actually think things through as you claim, they would be against the wall. Even the Cato institute says it won’t work. They are not even close to being liberal.

Anyway, about the topic at hand. if you are in the up, I would think you are well prepared for inclement weather. Oddly, when I was up that way in december I was surprised at how moderate the weather was. Here in ohhoho, you never know what to expect. Me personally. I have 4.5 cords of wood left (primary heat source) one of them is stacked in my garage (I keep that one full). 500 gals of propane on hand (well the tanks at 75%). With another 700 paid for in advance last summer at 2.16 a gallon...almost always end up with a big credit. 1/2 acre pond full of water and fish. An inverter and about 125 gals of gasoline on hand in our tank. And eight 60v batteries at the ready. Closet full of candles (wife’s a partylite dealer). And a wife that knows how to keep her manimal comfortable.

I dunno, as long as the city water keeps flowing and toilets flush, I think the city type folks would be okay for a while, even without electricity.

a reply to: rickymouse

edit on 15-1-2019 by soundguy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join