It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we ever have an extended national blackout.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
We we implode as a nation.

Friday we had a huge snow storm here in KC that dumped a foot of heavy wet snow everywhere.

Tree limbs down all over the city. and over 100,000 people lost power in the freezing cold.

We lost it about 3 am saturday and dint get it back until around 7 sunday evening. Stores sold out of generators in hours.

There are still over 40 ,000 people with no power and its in the teens outside and Kansas City Power and light is saying they could be out until late tomorrow.

And since we got ours back on it has flickered a few times so it could go back out again with trees still covered in snow and coming down everywhere.

No lights , no heat, no tv, no computer , and you cant charge your phone .

30 or so hours and I was ready to kill people lol

So imagine if we had a huge EMP or whatever knock out power to most of the country for an extended period of time.

We would implode. lol

edit on 14-1-2019 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
That's a funny thought to you?

If that happened you wouldn't want to be in a big city.

The Amish and other self-sufficient people would be just fine.

link   
If there was an emp id give it Two weeks till cannibalism.
Heck. Probably If they just cancel foodstamps nationwide

link   
a reply to: notsure1

It really is pathetic how reliant we as people have become on technology and convenience.

I live in central IL. We got around a foot of snow. I had to run to Walmart (it is just the closest) after work and I kid you not - no milk, no meat, few cases of water, lines backed up down the aisles, people arguing.

I'm not saying become some crazy hoarder with 7098 cases of water and 2137 cans of ravioli stashed in your basement. However, if some snow is the apocalypse, maybe everyone should be a littler more prepared. Flashlights and blankets go a long way.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
We're prepared for blackouts. We have a kitchen wood cookstove that heats the house, a woodstove in the basement just in case, and four older generators but only three work right now. Gas for the generators and also wood to last about a month and available wood on the land we can go out and cut with one of the chainsaws we have. Next year I am going to buy a logging truck full of wood and cut, split, and pile it so we have four years of wood ahead.

We can easily go three months without having to go shopping, but I think we may not have enough chocolate chips, they have been high lately, we only have four bags in stock now. Potatoes could be a problem, the deer begging at the patio door eat twenty pounds a week, we only have around twenty pounds left in stock, time to go shopping and buy another thirty pounds I guess. Carrots are another thing the deer like, we should actually stock a hundred pounds of that. We have very little waste in this house, the deer composters are constantly pooping in the yard.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart

It really is pathetic how reliant we as people have become on technology and convenience.

I live in central IL. We got around a foot of snow. I had to run to Walmart (it is just the closest) after work and I kid you not - no milk, no meat, few cases of water, lines backed up down the aisles, people arguing.

I'm not saying become some crazy hoarder with 7098 cases of water and 2137 cans of ravioli stashed in your basement. However, if some snow is the apocalypse, maybe everyone should be a littler more prepared. Flashlights and blankets go a long way.

You aint kidding. And I am guilty .

Was talking to my neighbor and said the worst part is I cant charge my phone lol. If thats the worst part I am way to reliant on my phone.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I have bought and sold at least 6 generators and of course didnt have one for this.

Next one I buy Im keeping.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Taupin Desciple

The Amish and other self-sufficient people would be just fine.

No they wouldnt because the crazy starving zombie hoards would kill them and take their shi after about 2 months

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

The (American)countryside is more heavily armed than you can imagine.

Not only that. Country folk stick together, unlike you city slickers.
edit on 14-1-2019 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
We're prepared for blackouts. We have a kitchen wood cookstove that heats the house, a woodstove in the basement just in case, and four older generators but only three work right now. Gas for the generators and also wood to last about a month and available wood on the land we can go out and cut with one of the chainsaws we have. Next year I am going to buy a logging truck full of wood and cut, split, and pile it so we have four years of wood ahead.

We can easily go three months without having to go shopping, but I think we may not have enough chocolate chips, they have been high lately, we only have four bags in stock now. Potatoes could be a problem, the deer begging at the patio door eat twenty pounds a week, we only have around twenty pounds left in stock, time to go shopping and buy another thirty pounds I guess. Carrots are another thing the deer like, we should actually stock a hundred pounds of that. We have very little waste in this house, the deer composters are constantly pooping in the yard.

Sounds like you will have plenty of fresh deer meat if it comes down to that.

edit on 14-1-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

I have bought and sold at least 6 generators and of course didnt have one for this.

Next one I buy Im keeping.

You would think people around here would have a wood stove back up or a generator in case the power went out for a while. But we had some pretty decent years for a while and the power wasn't going out for anything more for like ten hours or so for years. But in the last ten years, we had some major outages around here. A guy ran into a main power box in Lanse and knocked out the power for two days, lots of people had problems with heating their homes. We have always had big storms that blow down trees and knock out power for a few days in some areas, but that usually happens in the summer, not when it is ten below zero outside.

Some of the young, usually liberals, do not look at history very much. They are not like conservatives who use history to evaluate risk.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson

I was born and raised in a small town in Oklahoma.

When it comes down to it people only care about them and theirs.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

No lights , no heat, no tv, no computer , and you cant charge your phone .

Call me crazy, but it'd do a lot of people the world of good to be detached from social media and the internet for a while. Families could communicate again and be reminded of what it was like to physically interact and use facial expressions instead of emojis and likes.

The withdrawal symptoms would be a bitch for the first few days. The old dopamine sensors would feel like their throat had been cut - starved of rewards. Soon enough we'd collectively be more rooted in reality and *maybe* attention spans would be able to read a full page of a book without taking a 'check my status' break.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
When hurricane Ike came through back in 08, my whole area was without power for two weeks.

No AC in the middle of August down here is a killer.

But luckily, unlike an urban area, everyone around here was ok. In fact, everyone was riding their 4 wheelers around checking on each other, cleaning out freezers and grilling. The church up the road was giving out cases of water and such. For two weeks, I did not see anyone with a phone in their hand and honestly it was kinda nice.

So I’m totally not worried in the event of a long term power outage. Glad I live somewhere that people are all about helping each other out instead of screaming for the government to come help them.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Crazy.

I agree.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

That was only a couple weeks. we can all go a few weeks or even a couple months.
What about 6 months or a year?

I think it would be quite eye opening

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: chadderson

I was born and raised in a small town in Oklahoma.

When it comes down to it people only care about them and theirs.

Around here it got pretty bad for a few decades but there is a movement starting again to pay it forward and help others in need...real need. The pay it forward around here is about helping the old and people who are REALLY in need, although some of the Prestigious people in our towns do not know about all the lazy scammers who abuse these kind of things. Some of the old people also want everything free.

They have a food pantry here that does good, it is based on need, not a person necessarily being poor. A lot of people here are under water even when they are over the poverty guidelines, these people need decent cars to get to work and that payment along with all the kids school crap costs brings them down into poverty. Damn, sports got expensive over the years, so did school yearbooks and pictures.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

originally posted by: rickymouse

Sounds like you will have plenty of fresh deer meat if it comes down to that.

I have a half a head of beef in the freezer along with eleven whole chickens and some chicken breasts and leg quarters and one turkey and a bunch of pork chops. My wife will be making me go outside and protect the deer from the hungry neighbors.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

sports got expensive over the years

When my son was 14 it was 380$ to play baseball not including his gear.

That was 12 years ago

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The New York blackout of 1977.

One single day without power in New York City.

CHAOS!

And it’s indisputable that people today are a lot less self-reliant and a lot less ‘friendly’ than they were in 1977.

If the New York blackout is any precedent then I would imagine cannibalism in less than 48 hours.

I imagine California would suffer the most. Imagine the battery running out on all of those snowflake’s phones. If you think that gutless vape-store pussy had a ‘meltdown’ imagine that across 50 million gutless pussys who have no idea that food even comes from plants and animals. Cannibalism in LA might occur within the first six hours of a power outage.

But seriously, “lol” is not really the reaction you would be having. Total breakdown of society is more than likely if there was an irreversible electrical system outage (irreversible because those who are capable of reversing it are fighting for their own lives as well).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join