It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious radio signals from deep space detected

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Are you ready, I mean really ready......

Cue music

I am sure there are many more intelligent than me on this website, I only hope they can chime in and educate me more, here is the link

Mysterious radio signals from deep space detected

Its only a short hop away, if you got really big hops...1.5 billion light years away

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
That's the all Cardi B station.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   
If it is from an alien species, they probably died out a long, long time ago.

In a galaxy far away.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Animation showing the fast radio bursts in action.

The repeaters are interesting and open to speculation , curious things.
www.livescience.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   

It would be great if we one day found radio frequencies that we could interpret, like in the movie Contact!

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
1.5 billion light years away. Even if it was a message, how much has changed in that length of time.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Where do you find this stuff, love that gif animation but now it looks like just another natural phen...phenonme...occurrence albeit rare as rocking horse dung

I will put Mulder back in the cupboard

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Times like these I wish the Wow Signal Podcast was still live. Those guys would get right into the details of FRBs and make sense to dopes like me. They were my go-to when interesting findings like these made the news.

Burst 14 - Jason Hessels on the Repeating Fast Radio Burst

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Perhaps they're not messages but something far weirder , something to do with the Universe itself and the nature of its reality.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
1.5 billion light years away. Even if it was a message, how much has changed in that length of time.

I hope that's a rhetorical question.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It most likely is. People just want it to be a message but the odds point toward nature.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   

LOL that comment got me thinking we are living in the present but always seeing the past , So does that mean we never truly see the here and now ?
edit on 1/9/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yes, humans can't even keep up with their short history.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

Interesting problem, isn't it.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

I am sure there are many more intelligent than me on this website, I only hope they can chime in and educate me more [...]

They're called fast radio bursts. And in less than the blink of an eye, they ping into the data collected by radio telescopes out of nowhere, with as much energy as a hundred million Suns.

It's called FRB 180814.J0422+73, and in the space of three weeks beginning in August 2018, it flared six times in repetition, as captured by the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment (CHIME) radio telescope. Further bursts were detected in the following weeks.

In total, CHIME detected 13 new bursts, including the repeating signals.

sciencealert.com - Mysterious Repeating Signals Have Been Detected Coming From Space For The Second Time.

Its all connected, man!!

That it repeated is rather interesting. While they wrote up the paper they found even more FRBs (read story at theverge.com), so this will probably become a common experience.

Still don't know how they are made so "the alien option" cannot be ruled out!

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

If there were coupons in the transmission, they've probably expired.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

Could we trust a message from 100s or more of light years away? What could have changed with the sender while the message was traveling to here?

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   

You would think that whatever sent the message would know that it would take light years to reach us , So I would say it would be a warning of some kind ,They destroyed our planet and are on their way to you kinda thing .
edit on 1/9/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Would this entice them back for another podcast or is it quite mundane to those in the know?

Lets fire up those rockets and meet them half way, wait you mean the moon is as far as we can go, how far away was that, 250,000 miles, shoot we better use leaded fuel then

See you in a millennia you cuddly aliens

edit on 9-1-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I thank you my friend

100 million suns in blink of an eye, when we are quantifying in terms of the celestial giant of our own sun, thats some real REAL big energy

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join