It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 Transgender Regretters Come Out Of The Closet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
In this sub-forum because I have no doubt gender dysphoria is real, but how to treat it is very debatable.

A fascinating read and a warning for those that want to push it, you could be really hurting the very people you are trying to help.

Article

Intro

Walt Heyer knows firsthand what it’s like to undergo sex change surgery and then regret it. After living as a woman for nearly a decade, he decided to accept his biological sex and de-transition back to male. By then, Walt had received intensive cognitive therapy that helped him recognize early childhood trauma he had experienced.The trauma resulted in a mental condition known as dissociative identity disorder (DID). In the clarity of that realization, his gender dysphoria simply vanished. His life as a “woman” all amounted to an attempt to escape reality. Sadly, too few people consider the possibility that gender dysphoria can manifest as a byproduct or symptom of other mental conditions, and most certainly of DID.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
So it's a mental disorder that harms nobody but maybe themselves. Do we discriminate against people with other harmless mental disorders? Or accept and accommodate?

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

No you don't accept and accommodate mental disorders. Lol you treat and or ]beverage if they add a danger to themselves or others.

Jaden
edit on 3-1-2019 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

falling down the trans rabbit hole

Don't mean to sound harsh, but it sounds like people that don't want to take the blame for a choice they made.
I'm sorry I just don't believe that society forces anyone to change to the opposite sex.

I do believe the underlying thought that you can't cure the inside by changing the outside.
That doesn't just apply to trans people, but people that have lost a lot weight, people that have had many cosmetic surgeries etc.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
It’s a medical condition *cough* *cough * and there is money to be made for those who are greedy

It’s no secret that the death toll of transgenders is incredibly high and incredibly tragic
Well it’s no secret to those who actually care beyond the level of accepting their is an issue deeper than that displayed

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I'm probably going to be sorry I weighed in on this, but here goes:

I'm really not surprised. While I do accept that gender dysphoria is a real thing, I would expect it to be a very rare thing. Why? Simply because it would have to be a discrepancy in the hormonal levels during pregnancy... nothing else would explain it.

Simplified for comprehension, all children are conceived female. The hormonal levels during early life in the womb determine the gender based on the chromosomal structure. Males develop hormonal deviations, mainly higher testosterone levels, that transform the genitalia into male and also affect biological structures throughout other parts of the body. At the same time, those hormones also affect brain development which then manifests itself as either male or female behavior.

Whether people like to admit it or not, there are mental as well as physical differences between males and females. The mental differences are less binary than the physical, exhibiting themselves in a myriad of shades of grey, while physical differences tend to lend themselves to either male of female characteristics. Of course, that is not completely binary either... there are hermaphrodites (again, rare), but also there are variations in the amounts of masculinity or femininity that one's body exhibits. Some males have bodies that are less masculine, and some women have bodies that are more masculine than the generally accepted average.

But when the hormones present themselves, they are in the bloodstream and thus are present in both body and brain. In order for there to be true gender dysphoria, the hormone levels would have to undergo some pretty wild fluctuations. Again, this is possible, but would be expected to be rare.

On the other hand, mental development is not as cut-and-dried. We still do not fully understand the implications that our societal lifestyles place on the young. Seemingly minor early life events can seriously skew our mentality, to the point that I sometimes wonder of we are not all victims of some degree of mental illness. The parents' job in life is to protect from these harmful experiences, but no one is 100% successful.

Bottom line is, we still have no solid methodology to determine if a person is suffering from actual gender dysphoria or from some other condition that is manifesting itself with similar symptoms. Considering that society itself is built around male and female differences (many languages even are built around male and female words), it makes little to no sense to automatically proceed with assumptions of gender dysphoria without first carefully trying to determine if there is a substantial possibility of a different diagnosis.

Our society tends to operate based on knee-jerk reactions, though. We live reactively rather than proactively. Transgender rights have become the cause du'jour of our time period, and that leads people to actually try and force the diagnoses, even those which may be questionable, onto those diagnosed. This is a horrendous practice, and it should never be championed; not only does it hold the possibility of doing additional mental damage to the recipient of the treatment, but it also minimizes those who are truly in need of help becoming transgender.

TheRedneck

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I can only state personal experience here, but, my best friend is a transvestite who for years has longed to be a transsexual. He has big issues which are clearly mental and he accepts that. One of the issues which is a weird one is that he can rarely see his male face in the mirror, he says he almost always sees his alter ego. He doesn't however hate his genitalia and doesn't want it removing, but he did think that by taking hormones and growing his own boobs it would make him feel better. It didn't work. He saved and saved and had a boob job thinking that would work, again it didn't so he went bigger and bigger spending a small fortune and it still didn't work simply because as he acknowledges its all on the outside whereas its his inside that's a bit screwy, and those mental issues have never been addressed and he's now 54 and has had to have his breasts removed. He has a good chum Stephanie who has gone down the total transgender route and is now the most unhappy depressed person I've ever seen. She was a bundle of fun before the surgery but now realises that after the initial novelty, the miraculous change she thought would happen didn't.....something she attributes to still having a "male brain"

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

it makes little to no sense to automatically proceed with assumptions of gender dysphoria without first carefully trying to determine if there is a substantial possibility of a different diagnosis.

I agree with this! That’s why it’s so important to get a really good, experienced therapist to help. It doesn’t hurt to get a second opinion either.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

I have had the opposite experience. Every trans female I know has no regrets over their transitioning. The only regrets they may have about their transition are the things they just cannot change ( large hands, broad shoulders, etc.). The happiest trans people I know, are the one who began transitioning early enough that those “male” attributes didn’t get a chance to present themselves.

I don’t really know any trans males, so I can’t speak to any personal experience there.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Finally, evidence is showing up that spending all that money to change one's sex does not fix the problem half the time. I have nothing bad to say about gay people unless they are jerks and are starting a lot of chaos. But I believe this sex change stuff is most often someone being convinced that it will actually help them to spend all that money only to find it is just a patch on the real problem. There are lots of men who are more feminine and lots of women that are tomboyish. We just need to accept these differences as differences and allow people to be gay if they want to as long as they do not start pushing the "I have more rights than straight people" issue.

Everyone has equal rights in this country, gays and lesbians should follow the same limitations as regular people. People of color also have the same rights if they are citizens and immigrants should have equal rights if they have legal residency or become citizens. Color should not matter, neither should sex or sexual preference as long as someone does not abuse the minority card.

There are some white people and religious people who do not agree with me, but I think they should think about what would it be like if the rolls were reversed and they were under attack or discriminated for their beliefs or color. Bias goes both ways, whites often get discriminated at black establishments too.

I just do not think that doctors and pharma companies making huge profits off of sex changes is right.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I'm really not surprised. While I do accept that gender dysphoria is a real thing, I would expect it to be a very rare thing. Why? Simply because it would have to be a discrepancy in the hormonal levels during pregnancy... nothing else would explain it.

Simplified for comprehension, all children are conceived female. The hormonal levels during early life in the womb determine the gender based on the chromosomal structure. Males develop hormonal deviations, mainly higher testosterone levels, that transform the genitalia into male and also affect biological structures throughout other parts of the body. At the same time, those hormones also affect brain development which then manifests itself as either male or female behavior.

Whether people like to admit it or not, there are mental as well as physical differences between males and females. The mental differences are less binary than the physical, exhibiting themselves in a myriad of shades of grey, while physical differences tend to lend themselves to either male of female characteristics. Of course, that is not completely binary either... there are hermaphrodites (again, rare), but also there are variations in the amounts of masculinity or femininity that one's body exhibits. Some males have bodies that are less masculine, and some women have bodies that are more masculine than the generally accepted average.

But when the hormones present themselves, they are in the bloodstream and thus are present in both body and brain. In order for there to be true gender dysphoria, the hormone levels would have to undergo some pretty wild fluctuations. Again, this is possible, but would be expected to be rare.

On the other hand, mental development is not as cut-and-dried. We still do not fully understand the implications that our societal lifestyles place on the young. Seemingly minor early life events can seriously skew our mentality, to the point that I sometimes wonder of we are not all victims of some degree of mental illness. The parents' job in life is to protect from these harmful experiences, but no one is 100% successful.

Bottom line is, we still have no solid methodology to determine if a person is suffering from actual gender dysphoria or from some other condition that is manifesting itself with similar symptoms. Considering that society itself is built around male and female differences (many languages even are built around male and female words), it makes little to no sense to automatically proceed with assumptions of gender dysphoria without first carefully trying to determine if there is a substantial possibility of a different diagnosis.

Our society tends to operate based on knee-jerk reactions, though. We live reactively rather than proactively. Transgender rights have become the cause du'jour of our time period, and that leads people to actually try and force the diagnoses, even those which may be questionable, onto those diagnosed. This is a horrendous practice, and it should never be championed; not only does it hold the possibility of doing additional mental damage to the recipient of the treatment, but it also minimizes those who are truly in need of help becoming transgender.

TheRedneck

Lol, you forgot to include Phrenology in your thesis for what you've based your argument on, for all the good/logic it does you.

Oh if only complete uneducated laymen could make more people listen to their professional medical opinions....

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Caitlyn Jenner has made statements that suggest she regrets becoming female. Suicide rates for transgender people are well above average, and studies have shown that, on the whole, transgender people are no happier than they were before.

It's not politically correct to say so, but yes, there is every indication that gender dysphoria is a mental disorder. The person cannot accept themselves for who they are, and they believe their life would be better if they were the other gender. I imagine that in most cases the person suffered from some sever trauma, like sexual abuse as a child.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

TheRedneck

I have a daughter that's ADD and a grandson that's High Functioning Autstic.

Overloading the system with kids that simply don't fit the round hole, for whatever reason, takes resources away from those truly in need.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Not as much fluidity once you have a surgery eh?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv
a reply to: Annee

Haha, two people who I did not expect to agree with me!

This was a very pleasant surprise. Thank you both.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Phrenology is a pseudo-science, sort of like numerology.

TheRedneck

edit on 1/3/2019 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

It definitely should be fairly rare.

I can't shake the belief that this gender stuff is the result and symptom(s) of liberal social hijacking.

I have three friends- THREE! - who had normal, biological, nothing-abnormal-about-them girls. And in middle school, these three daughters of three different mothers and fathers all started acting out. In early high school, they all started dressing more like boys, and by the time they were juniors, they are declaring themselves boys, not girls. Using the boys restrooms, changing their names to boy names, "he/his/son" etc, the whole nine yards.

That seems an INCREDIBLY high percentage to me, considering my social circle. I have many acquaintances and friends, but not a lot of my friends have daugters the same age. These three do, and all of them have this business going on.

All three mothers and fathers, by the way, are going along with it. One mom told me she finds it difficult and that her husband finds it even MORE difficult, but they've tried not to let their "son"
see their struggle. All of them are just going along with it.

Society has gone off the rails.

edit on 3-1-2019 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
a reply to: TheRedneck

All three mothers and fathers, by the way, are going along with it. One mom told me she finds it difficult and that her husband finds it even MORE difficult, but they've tried not to let their "son"
see their struggle. All of them are just going along with it.

Society has gone off the rails.

Gone are the halcyon days when we could all just have them quietly committed and everyone (except them of course, who gives a # about them) was happy again. The world started going to # when folks started objecting to forced sexual stereotypes, eh?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

weird.. I don't know one.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
In this sub-forum because I have no doubt gender dysphoria is real, but how to treat it is very debatable.

Of course it's real, but it's only technically a mental disorder if it dramatically effects your daily life and your physical and mental health. If not, they are perfectly "normal," according to the DSM-V.

It should have remained under the same definition as it was in the DSM-IV: Gender Identity Disorder. I'm not saying that all people's lives are grossly affected by it (depends on where you live and how well you are accepted in society, I would assume), but I do see that it fits all of the signs of being a mental disorder.

My son has Asperger's, but can function very well in society (even if he can come across as an immature jerk sometimes because he can't tell when he should stop joking about things and when to do it appropriately)--that doesn't mean that he isn't on the Autism Spectrum. The same should apply to all mental disorders. I know someone with pretty severe anger management issues, but they are controlled well with medication--that doesn't mean that he no longer has the mental disorder just because he can function perfectly "normally" in society and in his life now.

That's my point--there should not be exceptions to mental disorders just because it may be perceived by the individual that they are not severely affected in their daily lives because of it.

I feel extreme sympathy for these individuals in this book and the guy in the story--I feel like they are victims of societal ignorance and political correctness. It's unfortunate that this will leave a lasting scar on them (figuratively and physically) for the entirety of their lives.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join