It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6th Generation Fighter Meta Thread

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Even taking my shoes off I can't count nearly high enough.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Id spend all day flicking the B,G,F modes.....

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
aviationweek.com...

um. hm. ok. The presumption here is the US, Oz and Japan need a separate forum to talk over their requirements.

hm.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Umm how does stealthy with lots of missiles and pew Pews sound?

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
jp.reuters.com...

In Japanese.

Japan is considering exporting its next fighter due to the high cost of development.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   

The US should just subsidize them and have it be considered an investment in future deterrence.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

What else do you think our FMS sales are? They are never going to be able to afford it on their own. And we'll be happy to approve transfer and let them team with US contractors. We won't subsidize them. They should have teamed with the UK if they want workshare and to share costs. There isn't enough room for two healthy European projects and a Japanese one. I don't think there is room in the market for even two healthy programs.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Is Japan participating in any particular type of Loyal Wingman research alongside the US, Australia, or Europe? I think that's important for them to consider for the path forward on 6th gen.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

Yes. Everybody is doing that. Kawasaki was quietly working on that sort of thing, and they have a wide variety of other UAV projects. They need large production numbers and someone to split the costs. That's what basically everyone needs. It's not technical expertise, it's money.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:52 AM
link   
No word on the Turkey adventure?

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

No word on Turkey.

However!

The Navy went black:

apps.dtic.mil...

And the Blue Beanies, I mean USAF went interesting:

apps.dtic.mil...

So are we getting the 'digital century series?'

Or...what? If the funding/development matches the LRSB, then something very, very interesting is happening starting in 2022 or 2023.

A clue:

This effort is in Budget Activity 4, Advanced Component Development and Prototypes (ACD&P), because efforts are necessary to evaluate integrated technologies, representative modes or prototype systems in a high fidelity and realistic operating environment.

oooo. Trying not to read too much into that.
edit on 14-4-2020 by anzha because: added a quote

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 12:08 AM
link   
And AETP and the other advanced engine design projects seem to be getting wound down:

apps.dtic.mil...

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Id start looking at what the individual companies and various sub contractors are doing..

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

There's at least one contractor who has had a number of...interesting discrepancies.

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   
www.sankei.com...

The Japanese have put together a working group of Japanese and American companies for their F-3 program.

The British have been excluded as the Japanese did not want to merely participate in the Tempest program.

posted on Jul, 7 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
First prototype rollout in 2024. Production in 2030. Begin replacing F-2s in 2035. Brits will help with the engine development.

alert5.com...

Lockheed, Boeing and Northrop are in negotiations to participate:

alert5.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2020 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Not sure why they need British, Mitsubishi has gas turbine pedigree, we run some of their aero derivatives at work.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick
Anzha, the UK has not been excluded they have been specifically named for help in developing the powerplant. Forensick, because while Mitsubishi may have experience in gas turbines, the UK and specifically RR has vastly greater experience of developing them and especially military engines for fighters. Given the timing and size of both the Japanese and UK fighter programs its quite likely they will be able to leverage off each other for what will possibly en up being powerplants in the same broad thrust and dimension class. Including the UK cuts down on development time considerably. They may also be looking at utilizing Reaction Engines impressive pre-cooler technology. So to me it makes sense for a pairing with the UK on engine development.

posted on Jul, 9 2020 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I could see Japan being upfront with Microchip and miniaturization technology.They do like to go out on a limb with ideas.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join