It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US House approves funding bill with $5.7bn for Trump's border wall

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
So which Republican Senators will want to be responsible for voting down the wall and the hurricane relief funds...and ultimately the ensuing shutdown?

None, save maybe Flake or McCarthy. I think the Senate agreed to let the house pass it and shoot it down on purpose.

Anyways, the vote will likely be 53-47 or something like that.

Don't they need 60?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I agree!

The Federal budget for 2019 is $4.407 trillion. The amount the House put in the budget for the wall is $5.7 billion. That's the same ratio as someone making $100,000 a year spending about $130. In that sense, this wall costs less than a night's stay in a decent hotel, and less than a year's home security monitoring based on the cheapest rates. $130 a year works out to about $11 a month, which is less than most people spend on convenience store soft drinks!

And Schumer is going to shut down the government over that... right... that'll go over good.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I am not on board with your rationalization that $5,700,000,000 is equal to $130, but whatever.

Give the orange one his fence and let's move on.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Trump really needs to take a page out of the Democrats playbook and stop referring to it as a "wall" and instead a "fence". A wall has a lot of historical negative connotations whereas everyone knows good fences make good neighbors. Probably too late in the game to switch it up now, but figured it worth mentioning. Politics isn't about ideas and solutions it is about selling the idea of a solution. Trump never really grasped that concept since he is too used to a lifetime of getting his own way.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Good Lord!
I thought I was cynical!

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Rock & Roll!
And then some.
S&F

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

So which Republican Senators will want to be responsible for voting down the wall and the hurricane relief funds...and ultimately the ensuing shutdown?

None, save maybe Flake or McCarthy. I think the Senate agreed to let the house pass it and shoot it down on purpose.

Don't they need 60?

Up until 2 hours ago, they needed 60 votes. But thanks to good old Harry Reid and his 2012 "Nuclear Option" invention, the Senate will now need only 51 votes to pass the bill!

YIPPIE! - twitter.com...

Kie-Yay! - www.thegatewaypundit.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wildmanimal
a reply to: JinMI

Good Lord!
I thought I was cynical!

Cynical or wise?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

And Schumer is going to shut down the government over that... right... that'll go over good. TheRedneck

Where’s Mitch McConnell when you need him? It’s going to go over good, when the President publicly owned the shutdown with a majority in both houses of Congress.

It’s Schumer’s and Pelosi’s fault? Really?? Not the guy that promised a wall paid for by Mexico?!

What a self-inflicted disaster. Hope you’re still around to blame everyone but the dipsh$t in the Oval Office in 6-8 months — he deserves all the credit and none of the blame...

Oh, and it’s the Fed’s fault, too.

And the media.

And Hillary’s emails.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Cravens

It’s Schumer’s and Pelosi’s fault?

Nope, Pelosi just made a fool of herself... she bears no responsibility.

Schumer, on the other hand... it requires 60 votes in the US Senate to invoke cloture and force a vote. The Republicans have 51. 51 < 60. So if the bill does not pass the Senate, yes, it's Schumer's fault for blocking it. Not Donald Trump's fault. Regardless of what he said, no bill has reached his desk yet. He has no ability to pass legislation, only the ability to sign or veto it.

Right now, the fight is between the House and the Senate, not between Congress and the President. If that changes, fine, put the blame on Trump for a shutdown. But until Congress actually passes a resolution and it is vetoed, all of the blame goes to Congress.

What a self-inflicted disaster. Hope you’re still around to blame everyone but the dipsh$t in the Oval Office in 6-8 months — he deserves all the credit and none of the blame...

When you can show me in the Constitution where the President sets the budget, I'll be happy to give him some blame.

Oh, and it’s the Fed’s fault, too.

Nope, not this time.

And the media.

Eh, maybe a little since they're stirring the pot, but not a tremendous amount.

And Hillary’s emails.

Nope.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I am not on board with your rationalization that $5,700,000,000 is equal to $130

Oooh, zeroes! OK.

$5,700,000,000 for the wall.
$4,407,000,000,000 Federal budget.

Not that much when you use zeroes on both figures. Besides, I am agreeing with you. Let the orange guy have his wall.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Tempter

Don't they need 60?

Up until 2 hours ago, they needed 60 votes. But thanks to good old Harry Reid and his 2012 "Nuclear Option" invention, the Senate will now need only 51 votes to pass the bill!

YIPPIE! - twitter.com...

Kie-Yay! - www.thegatewaypundit.com...

Support is growing for McConnell to invoke the "nuclear option" for Senate passage of the budget bill today.
Source: www.rollcall.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

No.

From your source:

Senators are expected back in town for possible votes Friday afternoon, hours ahead of a government funding deadline with what seems to once again be an inevitable lapse in funding.

There is no reason to think that has changed, especially with Democrats about to take over control of the House of Representatives. The “nuclear option” is so named because it involves having a majority of senators change Senate precedents in order to effectively change the rules without the two-thirds that would be required to invoke cloture on changes to the standing rules themselves.

Even though it is beyond a long shot, President Donald Trump himself has pushed for the setting of a simple-majority threshold, and there should be every expectation that he could again on Friday.

Did you honestly believe this “nuclear option” wasn’t considered 24 hours before Trump’s complete meltdown and publicly owning the shutdown?

The art of non-deal on full display.

YIPPIE!
KIE-YAY!

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Breaking news: Ladder sell skyrocket in Mexico.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

It's going to be funny when this gets voted down in the senate.

I hope Trump makes ALL the negotiations live... at his big board room table, with him in the middle

literally, comes out and says '' every day will debate for 2hrs and it will be telecast live.. i encourage all parties to come to the table so we can negotiation in good faith ''

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

It's always a televised, live debate.

Have you not heard of C-SPAN?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iscool

originally posted by: JinMI

It's going to be funny when this gets voted down in the senate.

So Chuckie Scheemer is going to shut the gov't down, eh???

Yes. Schumer will officially be responsible for the votes that shut the government down.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Well if they don't want the shutdown to happen like they say they don't then they will sign it. I think Trump is playing them at their own game. Its actually pretty funny.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Support is growing for McConnell to invoke the "nuclear option" for Senate passage of the budget bill today.

That worries me. While it would be wonderful for this issue, there will come a time when it will be just as destructive.

I would prefer McConnell just call for a vote, let the Democrats block it, call for a cloture vote, let the Democrats block that, and shut down the government. Then it will all be on Schumer and the protection of the 60-vote majority for cloture will be intact.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Cravens

Did you mention on ATS that Trump/McConnell was considering the Nuclear Option, earlier this week?

Or, are you just talking for the sake of talking?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join