It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Theory of Consciousness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Maybe the universe exists, because it observes itself? The wave collapses with an observer.
Proof. Bamm!

Consciousness is a function, not an object. Our bodies are generators. We are made of living ... things. Microbes etc, from all of them a little bit consciousness emerges, gets generated by them.
It's also energy. Electricity is not "all things that make a spark". The tip of the iceberg.
Consciousness is the dark energy in the universe. The big unknown.
It's only logical, because otherwise it wouldn't exist: the wave only collapses with an observer.
It needs one. Or the electron stays in an undefined state.
Bamm!

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

We are made of living ... things. Microbes etc, from all of them a little bit consciousness emerges, gets generated by them. It's also energy. Electricity is not "all things that make a spark".

Don’t forget methane. That spark from the right orifice will create a beautiful explosion. Big Bang self contained. Easy-peasy. Bamm!!

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Maybe the universe exists, because it observes itself? The wave collapses with an observer.
Proof. Bamm!

Consciousness is a function, not an object. Our bodies are generators. We are made of living ... things. Microbes etc, from all of them a little bit consciousness emerges, gets generated by them.
It's also energy. Electricity is not "all things that make a spark". The tip of the iceberg.
It's only logical, because otherwise it wouldn't exist: the wave only collapses with an observer.
Bamm!

If you can say, “it’s only logical” without providing that logic to back up the claim, then you don’t know what logic is.

Also, consciousness is prob not dark matter, seeing as how consciousness only exists in living things.

If you think otherwise, please provide some reasonable evidence.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I said "dark energy"
The whole thing I wrote is a logical proof. Reread it. Try it. Please? For me?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This would make consciousness universal. Do you believe we are all part of a universal consciousness with no true individuality? No real Self?

Also, if the universe exists because it observes itself - what determines what is observed? The possibilities are infinite it would seem. Why is the universe as it is and not otherwise?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

No. I never wanted to imply there is no "real self". Quite the opposite, even microbes are real personalities. All forming little groups generating a bigger "pile of cells", like you, fe.

Like in chemistry, it's a matter of "chain building". It looks like there are a lot of possibilities but just one wins.
H2O what an impossible coincidence. Yet here we are running on water and nothing else is possible. That's metaphor.
The "best match" creates a bigger reaction. And life is what reacts to its environment.
Consciousness observes its perfect match.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

a reply to: Admitted

Consciousness observes its perfect match.

I really like that thought, thanks for that.

If consciousness collapses possibilities to their perfect/best match would that mean evolution can only go in one direction? Devolution would not be possible and, moreover the end result of existence would always be the same?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Borrowed from theself.com A plethora of real gems

AWARENESS
Awareness is existence, consciousness.

A spiritual reality without space.

Awareness is your Self, the feeling I AM, I exist.

As you dream at night without intention.

Awareness dreams experiences without intention.

Awareness exists equally in all experiences.

Hence all experiences are equally precious to Awareness.

Awareness being indivisible, transcends all dualities such as love hate, hot cold, etc.

Consciousness, existence, I AM, God, spirit, soul are just different labels for Awareness.

Awareness of Awareness is direct worship without any subject object division.

Awareness of Awareness while in the world is liberation with form.

Ever present silent still Awareness is your true Self.

by Pardeep

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I'm confused.

edit on 20-12-2018 by metal5643 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I talk to my little guys, the little scamps never talk back though, if they did though because there's like gazillions of them it would probably sound like eeeeeeeee!
Hmmm maybe they do talk back.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

So, would it be accurate to say this theory is along the lines of reality only existing because someone is there to observe it? When someone is there to observe it, does it always materialize in the same way? When the wave turns into particle due to observation or some type of measurement device, will the particle always be the same? Or could there be multiple states depending on what or who is observing?

What happens when two separate beings observe the same wave, turning it into a particle? Who will it favor? Or does it become something different compared to a single observation?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

You will like the following video:

I hear Rupert Sheldrake talk about our consciousness may be a TV receiver and not a computer. This is because after so many years of studying the brain the way memory works continues to be misunderstood. If our memory were computer like it would be easier to identify where it is located in our brains and also transfer memories from one person to another.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Here's another good video showing experiments with a psychic parrot:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Proof. Bamm!

Bamm!

Since life and the term consciousness are basically human memes I don't think they live outside of our little minds. All of this is just complex chemical reactions to the universe.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
AWARENESS

Experience of self seems more than just seeing ourselves in the mirror. Experience of self FEELS real.

When I was in college I studied artificial intelligence. I was trying to come up with a thought that would cause our brains to go into an infinite loop. Here's what I came up with. This is the closest thought I came up with that would lock the brain up into an infinite loop. The thought takes the form of a question:

_______Have you ever thought about what your brain is doing between thoughts?

Most people respond to this thought by chuckling. My theory is when we chuckle is the brain's way of interrupting a sefl-referential semantic thought that would otherwise lead to brain lock.

A computer has no sense of humor. The following program would destroy the computer's brain:

_______10 NOP
_______20 GOTO 10

NOP stands for no-operation. And line 20 goes to line 10. This is known as an infinite loop in computer jargon. Unlike the human brain, a computer is not able to bounce out it by chuckling.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Maybe the universe exists, because it observes itself?

You have it backwards.

Clearly the universe can observe itself only because it first existed in such an arrangement to make observations possible.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I really like the information that Sheldrake puts out. His ideas on morphic resonances is really cool.

The only thing that seems kind of weird is he appears to be in the same camp as those who believe that observation makes reality. That there is a force that protrudes from our eyes in which reality is created.

I just can't wrap my head around this concept.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: JimNasium
AWARENESS

Experience of self seems more than just seeing ourselves in the mirror. Experience of self FEELS real.

When I was in college I studied artificial intelligence. I was trying to come up with a thought that would cause our brains to go into an infinite loop. Here's what I came up with. This is the closest thought I came up with that would lock the brain up into an infinite loop. The thought takes the form of a question:

_______Have you ever thought about what your brain is doing between thoughts?

Most people respond to this thought by chuckling. My theory is when we chuckle is the brain's way of interrupting a sefl-referential semantic thought that would otherwise lead to brain lock.

A computer has no sense of humor. The following program would destroy the computer's brain:

_______10 NOP
_______20 GOTO 10

NOP stands for no-operation. And line 20 goes to line 10. This is known as an infinite loop in computer jargon. Unlike the human brain, a computer is not able to bounce out it by chuckling.

I dont think there is a "between"
Maybe just a process

Like if you said what dose the heart do between beats? or what dose the lungs do between breaths?

we know the heart beat in its whole process is when the heart muscle contracts. This means the heart pushes in and this makes the chambers smaller. This pushes blood out of the heart and into the blood vessels. After the heart contracts and pushes in, the muscle relaxes or stops pushing in. The chambers get bigger and blood coming back to the heart fills them

And same with the lungs its a process

So I would assume the brain works in a similar way within a process

A neuron (also known as a neurone or nerve cell) is an excitable cell in the nervous systemthat processes and transmits information by electrochemical signaling. Neurons are the core components of the brain, the vertebratespinal cord, the invertebrate ventral nerve cordand the peripheral nerves. A number of specialized types of neurons exist: sensory neurons respond to touch, sound, light and numerous other stimuli affecting cells of the sensory organs that then send signals to the spinal cord and brain. Motor neurons receive signals from the brain and spinal cord that cause muscle contractions and affect glands. Interneurons connect neurons to other neurons within the brain and spinal cord. Neurons respond to stimuli, and communicate the presence of stimuli to the central nervous system, which processes that information and sends responses to other parts of the body for action. Neurons do not go through mitosisand usually cannot be replaced after being destroyed, although astrocytes have been observed to turn into neurons, as they are sometimes pluripotent.

"Thought"

Thought encompasses an “aim-free flow of ideas and associations that can lead to a reality-oriented conclusion.”[1] Although thinking is an activity of an existential value for humans, there is no consensus as to how it is defined or understood.
Because thought underlies many human actions and interactions, understanding its physical and metaphysical origins, processes, and effects has been a longstanding goal of many academic disciplines including philosophy, linguistics, psychology, neuroscience, artificial intelligence, biology, sociology and cognitive science.
Thinking allows humans to make sense of, interpret, represent or model the world they experience, and to make predictions about that world. It is therefore helpful to an organism with needs, objectives, and desires as it makes plans or otherwise attempts to accomplish those goals.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
So are you suggesting there is a GOD and or higher power? And the universe is the brain/mind or (program) of the GOD or higher power

Recently thats how I have started to perceive the universe, consciousness and reality

So basically we are the thoughts of GOD
Or some kind of computer program

edit on 20-12-2018 by DustybudzZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Proof. Bamm!

Bamm!

Or in other words (not to mention fewer words) ... I think, therefore I am.
And on the quantum level, thinking collapses the wave function that is me... like you said.

edit on 12/20/2018 by MissSmartypants because: Edit

top topics

<<   2 >>

join