It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazons sweatshop firing on all cylinders

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
on location, on set, we will sometimes work 24hrs straight with a nap in the trailer. I love it...

Union scale double time...oh yeah!!

edit on 20-12-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: and14263
10 hours for 6 days in a row?

We’ve all done more than this. Especially in busy periods. Of course it’s not ideal. But this is another example of The Guardian pandering to the needs of liberal millennials who think they are owed an easy life.

I hate this propaganda machine.

For real. That was like a normal week for me back in the day when I was out of college as an analyst at a consulting firm. 60 hours a week was a normal week. At crunch time, we could easily push up to 80 or 90 hours.

It is a seasonal job during the busiest time of the year. OMG, people are going to work long hours!? I'm shocked, I tell ya!

No kidding hey? I do 88 hours every week for 3 weeks at a time. Away from home and ALL of it outside.

And I LOVE it.

This whining makes me want to vomit. People need to grow the hell up, stop whining or get another job if its sooooo hard.

Of course I'm from Alberta, Canada and we're built quite a bit tougher than most folks.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I worked at the Amazon fulfillment center in Fernley, Nevada for extra money before I left for basic training.

Amazon is a sweatshop. You are treated poorly on purpose and the Nevada Department of Labor considers them a hostile employer/workplace and almost always approve unemployment for former workers who quit.

Amazon is garbage and Jeff Bezos doesn't care. He likes it that way.
edit on 20 12 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Liberals want the government or their employers to make life easier for them, because life is a little too hard for them.

Conservatives want to be stronger people so they can handle the tough times which are usually very rewarding for those who can make it through.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
They pay OT after 40 and a $1 per hour bonus at the end.

Free camping

Transportation to and from work.

Forget what else think from Oct 1 till they start cutting before Christmas.

You can work as much as you want they even tell you you will need good shoes!!

Sounds like the seasonal work at the canneries.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I worked at the Amazon fulfillment center in Fernley, Nevada for extra money before I left for basic training.

Amazon is a sweatshop. You are treated poorly on purpose and the Nevada Department of Labor considers them a hostile employer/workplace and almost always approve unemployment for former workers who quit.

Amazon is garbage and Jeff Bezos doesn't care. He likes it that way.

Even though the corporate employees are highly paid, the culture is just as bad... Amazon in general is known as a sweatshop, even at corporate HQ. It is what it is... if you don't want to work there, don't work there.

I avoided a lot of companies because I knew the corporate culture was toxic.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Amazon gets the spotlight for this, but the sad fact is that a lot of companies/warehouses run like this.

I don't like the term "toughen up". This has nothing to do with being tough. This is about employers exploiting employees.

I don't think the hours reported in the OP are out of the ordinary, but as we know there is always more to the story.

They are basically treating humans like robots.

www.businessinsider.com...

Amazon landed on the list for "a disturbing pattern of preventable deaths," the report says, including seven deaths since 2013. Eleven other companies landed on the list, including Tesla.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Sounds like a vacation.

I have worked in the medical field for over 40 years. I remember when they first put in time clocks. They were supposed to help reduce the ridiculous amount of overtime that the doctors and nurses were putting in.

Someone forgot to tell the patients that their needs were suppose to run by a clock. So, it now a long running joke.

Some jobs can't be regulated by a clock. Just a couple of days ago I was called into a case that looked like a simple follow-up that just needed me to do a SAK (sexual assault kit).

Turned out to be a nasty case of human trafficking, and eleven hours later I was leaving the hospital, seven hours after my shift ended.

Overtime and not enough hours to complete a job will continue as long as there are needs that have to be met. The problem is usually not the workers, it is with the corporations that don't want to pay their workers for the services they provide.
edit on 20-12-2018 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Explains why their delivery service can't seem to get my packages here on time. Unfortunately according to their support there's no way to opt out of this and use an actual service like UPS, FedEx, DHL, or USPS. Even if they told me "Oh you won't get the free shipping" I would be willing to pay the cost to actually get an item on time or a realistic estimation of when an item might arrive.

When I can have a package from Japan arrive faster than a package from GA (two states south), there's a problem that needs addressing. One that I don't believe throwing more people at the problem is going to solve...I watched a driver go from one side of my apartment complex to another rather than grouping the packages by building.

Edit:

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Amazon gets the spotlight for this, but the sad fact is that a lot of companies/warehouses run like this.

I don't like the term "toughen up". This has nothing to do with being tough. This is about employers exploiting employees.

I don't think the hours reported in the OP are out of the ordinary, but as we know there is always more to the story.

They are basically treating humans like robots.

www.businessinsider.com...

Amazon landed on the list for "a disturbing pattern of preventable deaths," the report says, including seven deaths since 2013. Eleven other companies landed on the list, including Tesla.

At least the robots would in theory be programmed to be more efficient, I fully support that level of automation.
edit on 12/20/18 by Hypntick because: Response.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Slaves worked 6 16 hour shifts a week for perspective

So they are pretty close to slavery. Most of you in this thread have slave mentalities as well.

Garbage humans all around. Look at you. Standing up for Amazon and Bezos.

At one point in time our ancestors stood up TOGETHER and died for better working conditions now look at what your diseased minds are producing.

You people disgust me.
edit on 20-12-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You have the mentaliry of a slave. Rather than standing up with fellow Americans and workers and vocally advocating for better working conditions you talk down to the people who are mistreat and only putting their beat foot forward and working hard.

Yeah. You and others in this thread need to reassess your mentality and stop fighting against your fellow man for better working conditions.

Pull your head out of your ass. You are way smarter than this

Break the slave mentality

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I agree, break the slave mentality by implementing automation, no more wage slaves. Then again you have a large percentage of the population that are now jobless due to no skills and no prospect of picking those skills up. I actually look forward to this happening to see how it plays out, should be interesting times.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=24047933]Hypntick[/pbrainw

I agree with you. Automation is going to displace another 10% of the workforce again in 2019 as it did the last 2 years.

Automation did not create an = ratio of jobs. We are now entering new economic territory that the world has never seen and these old dead mindset and slave mentalities are going to have to die with the old ways.

Its going to be a long hard fight to break the idiocy we see here. The brainwashing is deep.
edit on 20-12-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Those Amazon droids better not try and unionize or they will get the Walmart treatment.

When will the proles ever learn. Work, consume and STFU.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

how could people unionize anymore with the mentality of their fellow Americans?

you know what happens when you try and unionize in todays world, stabbed in the back, thrown under the bus and discarded so some other total loser with a slave mentality can get that 2 dollar an hour raise for the supervisor position

short sighted, idiotic and untrustworthy American culture

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Slaves worked 6 16 hour shifts a week for perspective

So they are pretty close to slavery. Most of you in this thread have slave mentalities as well.

Garbage humans all around. Look at you. Standing up for Amazon and Bezos.

At one point in time our ancestors stood up TOGETHER and died for better working conditions now look at what your diseased minds are producing.

You people disgust me.

Slaves didn't have a choice, nor did they get paid for their work...

Here is the reality, hardly anyone who is remotely successful (as in better than average) in their career or life works a 40 hour week. Very few have that luxury. Even people who do get to work 40 hours or less, often times spent years toiling away to get to that point.

I am not a huge fan of the rat race, but the reality is that sometimes you just have to suck it up buttercup and put in the hours. It is what it is... if you don't like it or think the pay is too low relative to the hours / effort then polish off your resume and find a new job that is more compatible with the utopian lifestyle you think you deserve.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

You enjoy your slave mentality, I won't stand up for Amazon and how it treats it's employee's and tell them to suck it up buttercup.

They want better working conditions and they should have them. I won't argue their point and stand up for out of control crony capitalist in exchange for backing up their employee's who simply want to be rewarded for the hard work they do.

Enjoy your slave mentality.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

You enjoy your slave mentality, I won't stand up for Amazon and how it treats it's employee's and tell them to suck it up buttercup.

They want better working conditions and they should have them. I won't argue their point and stand up for out of control crony capitalist in exchange for backing up their employee's who simply want to be rewarded for the hard work they do.

Enjoy your slave mentality.

I'm not standing up for Amazon. If people don't want to work there, then don't. Amazon doesn't owe them a job and they don't owe Amazon cheap labor. That is how a free market works. If people weren't lining up to work at Amazon, then Amazon would have to change their corporate culture or pay structure.

Let me give you an example of how it works in the real world. People get tired of being treated like sh*t, so they go work somewhere else. The employer realizes workers aren't happy and are losing them to competitors, so they make changes to retain workers.

Yes, working long hours sucks. But sometimes you just have to do it. It is life. If you want to not only get paid, but also DO A GOOD JOB, you sometimes have to work long hours. It just is... it isn't right or wrong.

While you are b*tching you didn't get to take a latte break, some other guy is hustling and getting promoted or using his experience as a stepping stone to a better job.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I bet you older slaves in the early 1800's told younger slaves to just suck up because it is how it is. Quit whining, do what the slave master tells you.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I'm not standing up for Amazon. If people don't want to work there, then don't. Amazon doesn't owe them a job and they don't owe Amazon cheap labor. That is how a free market works. If people weren't lining up to work at Amazon, then Amazon would have to change their corporate culture or pay structure.

I get what you are saying but I think we need to dig deeper. There are people trapped in that kind of work. If they leave Amazon, they go to the next warehouse doing the same thing. Yes they can pull themselves out, but the reality is that a lot of them are not going to be able to.
There has to be a point where we say this is not OK. We look at China and see the factories and sweatshops that have installed netting so workers can't commit suicide, we know as Americans that isn't OK, but we are slipping down that same path.

There is nobody that believes in a honest days work more than I do, but this isn't it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join