It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazons sweatshop firing on all cylinders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
That's the article title.
Use your own judgement on its accuracy.

"Full-time workers receive “mandatory extra-time”, working up to 60 hours per week with exhausting 11.5-12 hour days, while part-time workers are encouraged to take as many extra shifts as possible. Our workforce doubles with “seasonal” workers who are paid less, not given benefits, and put on a restrictive time-off allowance, ensuring they’ll be working through the holiday season."

"Our friends and co-workers walk past us, their feet dragging like zombies after having worked the last 10 hours, many for six days in a row. A few folks who learned their lesson last year refuse extra-time – they say that one five-hour shift is hard enough, doing two is unbearable."

I'm not going to comment on Amazon's facilities and working conditions as I have never been in one of their warehouses.
But I will comment on the hours worked.
I have worked 10-12 hour shifts many times over the years often for weeks or months at a time.
Overtime pay looks nice for sure.

I would suggest they pad the employees pay since they are being expected to work so many hours.
The part timers aka temps will not receive benefits or time off though. Even if they were hired full time they wouldn't be past their 90 day probation period until February.

www.theguardian.com...

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It's the Christmas rush people willing sign up to do it because they take the rest of the year off. The Amazon Army. Lots of free stuff and bonuses.

Lots of money to be made in a short time. I know lots of people that do it there's whole sites dedicated to getting people the jobs.

HAHAHAHA all the way to the bank then someplace warm for the winter. Been going on for years.

Amazon Camper Force

edit on 20-12-2018 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
10 hours for 6 days in a row?

We’ve all done more than this. Especially in busy periods. Of course it’s not ideal. But this is another example of The Guardian pandering to the needs of liberal millennials who think they are owed an easy life.

I hate this propaganda machine.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm sure this is against working time directive. Unless they are classed as self employed. No wonder they get so much bad press from people getting mental health issues working there.. screw Amazon and stop being laxy humans shop at local stores.

link   
Not a bad gig really for the money and no skills required.

link   
I'm sure this is against working time directive. Unless they are classed as self employed. No wonder they get so much bad press from people getting mental health issues working there.. screw Amazon and stop being laxy humans shop at local stores.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I was thinking the same thing.
Working a few 60 hour weeks is not a big deal in my book.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: lSkrewloosel

Every state has it's own labor laws but as far as I know 12 hour days does not violate any laws.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Every 10 seconds Jeff Bezos earns $28,000.

The pr!€k can afford to pay his workers better. But you know, he needs that money for his presidential campaign.

Bezos Earnings

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
They pay OT after 40 and a $1 per hour bonus at the end.

Free camping

Transportation to and from work.

Forget what else think from Oct 1 till they start cutting before Christmas.

You can work as much as you want they even tell you you will need good shoes!!

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Amazon has never been able to complete 100% of the book orders during christmas...Ingram book warehouse (7 nationwide) employees do 60 to 70 hours a week to cover Amazon's orders.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
10 hours for 6 days in a row?

We’ve all done more than this. Especially in busy periods. Of course it’s not ideal. But this is another example of The Guardian pandering to the needs of liberal millennials who think they are owed an easy life.

I hate this propaganda machine.

For real. That was like a normal week for me back in the day when I was out of college as an analyst at a consulting firm. 60 hours a week was a normal week. At crunch time, we could easily push up to 80 or 90 hours.

It is a seasonal job during the busiest time of the year. OMG, people are going to work long hours!? I'm shocked, I tell ya!

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Assassin82

The pr!€k can afford to pay his workers better. But you know, he needs that money for his presidential campaign.

Bezos Earnings

Yet another financial illiterate that doesn't know the difference between an individuals net worth and a company's profit and loss statement...

Amazon barely made like $3 billion a year in profit on $177 billion in revenue. In other words, out of every $1.75 dollars in revenue, only 3 cents of it was profit.

If Amazon significantly raised the wages of the warehouse workers who comprise most of their work force, they'd be losing money and out of business entirely.

Bezos is worth $100 billion because he owns 25% of the company... after all he started it. However, if the company fails, most of that fortune goes away. Being worth $100 billion does not mean you can spend $100 billion. He'd have to sell all his shares in Amazon and any other investments.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: lSkrewloosel

You can sign a document saying you are happy to work longer hours other companies do that.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Bezos Earnings

Yet another financial illiterate that doesn't know the difference between an individuals net worth and a company's profit and loss statement...

Amazon barely made like $3 billion a year in profit on $177 billion in revenue. In other words, out of every $1.75 dollars in revenue, only 3 cents of it was profit.

If Amazon significantly raised the wages of the warehouse workers who comprise most of their work force, they'd be losing money and out of business entirely.

Bezos is worth $100 billion because he owns 25% of the company... after all he started it. However, if the company fails, most of that fortune goes away. Being worth $100 billion does not mean you can spend $100 billion. He'd have to sell all his shares in Amazon and any other investments.

I know it’s easy to call people names over the internet; the lack of face-to-face confrontation makes it so for people who would otherwise not be so confrontational.

Even though you completely missed the point of my response, I did just read that Amazon is raising the company’s median wage to $15 an hour. So, my argument holds its ground in the sense that Jeff Bezos could in fact afford to pay his employees more money. My argument was without the understanding of the wage increase.

But hey, thanks for showing me your true colors in the process. I’ll remember your short-fused, arrogant ways in future postings.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

To many people like that, they don't understand the difference between turnover and profit that's why they don't have a business.

This was 2016/17

But Bezos was not the highest-paid employee last year in the company he runs. That title goes to Andrew Jassy, the executive in charge of Amazon Web Services, which runs the company’s cloud services operations, among other things. In 2016, Jassy earned roughly $179,000 in salary and a 401(k) match, plus $35.4 million in Amazon stock

Bezos, meanwhile, took home a salary of only $81,840 last year. He also received $1.6 million worth of security

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Bezos Earnings

I know it’s easy to call people names over the internet; the lack of face-to-face confrontation makes it so for people who would otherwise not be so confrontational.

Even though you completely missed the point of my response, I did just read that Amazon is raising the company’s median wage to $15 an hour. So, my argument holds its ground in the sense that Jeff Bezos could in fact afford to pay his employees more money. My argument was without the understanding of the wage increase.

But hey, thanks for showing me your true colors in the process. I’ll remember your short-fused, arrogant ways in future postings.

Yet here you are in your first post calling Bezos a Pr!ck and now you want to act butt hurt because I called you a financial illiterate. The article you linked to can easily be deconstructed and shown as misleading. They pray on the uninformed such as yourself using big numbers and emotion.

Yes, Bezos is rich. Yes, Amazon makes a lot of money (in revenue at least). No, they can't just pay everyone $100k/yr for doing unskilled work in a warehouse. Yes, there are times when people, even those at the lower end of the payscale, have to work long hours. Big deal. It is life. If they don't like the job and what it entails, they can find other employment.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
It's the holidays. You know it come with the job. I've worked 90 hour weeks before during the holidays. Not ideal, but it makes the bank account happy.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Sounds like a lot of whining.

You want to see a zombie state of being?

Work for 96 days straight, 12 hours a day in the middle of winter with temps between -10 and -40.

On a drilling rig. Outside. Staying in camp with a 35 minute drive each way.

THAT'S tired and exhausted. What these people are whining about I could do for months on end.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: lSkrewloosel

If that gives a person mental health issues they need to go bag groceries then.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join