It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I can't read Cursive."

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The thing is that many of the founding documents, were written in script writing, that was a forerunner of the cursive writing that we all know and have seen.

I think it is a mistake not to teach children this form of writing. As they should know how to read and write such, that way there can be no doubt as to what is written in those documents.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: toms54

That's another good video. What he's discussing at the first of it is the limit which I referred to. As the denominator approaches zero, the quotient approaches infinity.

TheRedneck

I thought it illustrated your post.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

I like cursive too. After reading this thread, I'm starting to think it might be more useful to teach touch typing at an early age. Maybe second grade.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

I taught my Sons to cursive write and type the old fashioned way ( fdsa jkl; ) as I was taught, at an early age, 9. They're in their twenties now and type faster than I do, smart as whips.
edit on 15-12-2018 by ViXxeN because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
It is not about the use of the written language but being able to read documents from the past. Digitized or rewritten documents may be subject to influence or sentence shortening. I had a patient that worked in a junior college that said there are some students who could not read an analog clock because everything is digital now. Times are changing. Taking things out of young peoples lives is not enriching but depleting.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Ansuzrune

It will probably be a college course soon.
Reading Handwriting 101 and maybe Telling Time 101

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm 54, As soon as I joined the Navy for 20, I never used cursive again. To this day I print clearly, Navy style or I simply type it into my laptop for printing. Cursive is pretty and looks great on wedding invitations but, there is too much room for the writer to improvise till mistakes can be common. Before the printing press, all copies were made by hand and believe me, major information has been lost in the transfer. Cursive has little use for information transfer and our kids have too much to keep up with than an archaic writing system that is not worth the hours associated with learning the system. The future and change can be frightening but, it will be ok. We will survive and the technique is thoroughly documented and studied. That is the good thing with our times, we can store vast amounts of information on how our ancestors interacted and used their technology. It will not be lost, just archived. My hobby is decorative knot work like the sailors did in the sailing days. It is no longer a trade but, an awesome way to experience the past and create. I document all my work and have piles of old books to learn from but, those books are no longer in print so, it is up to all of us Citizen Historians to document and preserve the little things of our culture we are so endeared to.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It is easy to blame teachers for this, but what about the people who write curriculum and educational policy. I know where I live, policy makers insist that students should have proficient keyboarding skills by grade 3, so guess what goes out the window.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It doesn't matter if you can read or write .

.... As long as you know which gender you are ,
because your parents ( maybe ) have chosen that
for you at birth ...

Strong delusion much ????

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: radarloveguy

Some people just have a little bee in their bonnet and love to derail threads in order to let people know about that little bee. This thread is NOT about transgender people, so why are you trying to make it be????????

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JimD350

so sorry ... how politically incorrect of me.

I'm sure I just need a smart phone to think for me ...

But not a who are we , of course

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: radarloveguy

LOL at the gender debate. Let's design instant genome sequencing tech and apply it to bathroom doors. Your chromosomes will tell what gender you are if anyone us confused, and the appropriate door will open. Science!

But more on topic, please don't make the bathroom door signs in cursive, because then I won't know which to use.
edit on 16-12-2018 by Theocracy4America because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The only thing I think worth noting here is the constitution is written in cursive.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

So if they print a copy online and I read it, I could be fooled by liberals lying about what it says? I really should learn to read cursive.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I hate cursive. Its a waste of time and energy unless you are there to study old language and decipher it. It has no use in the modern computer readable world. It is the equivalate of an "accent" of spoken language.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

They stopped teaching cursive writing in Texas schools somewhere around 2005.

Personally, I have not written a single sentence in cursive since I graduated from high school in 1989. Not even in college, since they didn't care or wanted everything typed.
edit on 17-12-2018 by usernameconspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Simple solution
We write a program that scans and recreates those documents in a more readable format
Program would be able to compare against other writings by same author to get more reliable conversions

Boom good bye #ty ineligible writing

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ServiusTull
I'm 54, As soon as I joined the Navy for 20, I never used cursive again. To this day I print clearly, Navy style or I simply type it into my laptop for printing. Cursive is pretty and looks great on wedding invitations but, there is too much room for the writer to improvise till mistakes can be common.

I wish this had been an option for me in school. My printing is messy but legible. My cursive writing (which is my default, by the way) can be unreadable, particularly if I'm agitated or in a hurry. I have not gotten into the habit of printing everything, but I'm beginning to think that I should.

(post by EvaHoll removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join