It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I can't read Cursive."

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Theocracy4America

Division by zero and infinity are both concepts that occur in mathematical equations. Like I said, though, mathematics itself has no method for dealing with them other than limits. Sometimes the equations lend themselves to intuitive solutions; sometimes not. The ones that do can be extended farther; the ones that don't cannot.

Relativity is a good example: the controlling term is sqrt(c^2-v^2) and appears in the denominator of several equations. Where v=c, those equations reduce to division by zero. What does that mean? It means that observed length in the direction of travel increases to infinity as does observed mass. The real question is, what now does that mean? Thus the prediction that no object can move faster than the speed of light, because infinite mass would require infinite force to accelerate it. For most purposes, what might happen beyond that speed is irrelevant, because acceleration is continuous and at some point before it exceeds the speed of light, a mass's velocity must be at the speed of light.

But it's still not that simple. Intuitively, Relativity raises some pretty interesting and contradictory expectations as we approach the speed of light. The prediction of a rest mass being unable to attain the speed of light is also intuitively produced. So we have contradictory intuitive deductions depending on how one approaches the problem, and no one really knows for sure what would happen. The discontinuity in the function at v=c means we cannot rigorously analyze it.

I hope that clears things up.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I does not matter how you get to an answer if it is wrong. Wrong is wrong. This relativism and all-points-of-view-are-right needs to stop. Right is right, wrong is wrong. There is absolute truth and absolute false. 1+1=2 is right, "1"+"1" = 11 is right, but a different language and means something different. Common core is as much of a mistake as the entire government or private interest funded school system.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Oh, I get that. But I was taught math correctly back in the days before education went insane.

Numbers don't lie, but they're sure trying to tell us they do.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck
Admittedly I've been studying a YouTube channel which has some videos which may be relative here. Not sure if I believe if, but they present it in an awesome way.

m.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Very true! Numbers do not lie... but they can answer the wrong question.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Very true! Numbers do not lie... but they can answer the wrong question.

TheRedneck

Heh, husband has a career working with stats. Yes, numbers can be made to answer all kinds of questions while still technically never lying.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

That is actually a pretty impressive video! I especially liked where he compared the 'imaginary' numbers to negative numbers. I might steal that some time to use.

Every number can be represented in the form a+bi, where a is the 'real' part and b is the 'imaginary' part. I wish they would get rid of that word "imaginary" too... the correct name is complex numbers. Anyway, using that a+bi formula, you can see that complex numbers can get more complicated than just lying on the 'real' or 'imaginary' axes. That's why people think Electrical Engineering is so complicated... it uses complex numbers almost exclusively. In reality, once you get used to thinking in terms of both dimensions, it's not that bad.

Good show, and keep up the private study! You seem to be on the right track.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Oh, God... statistics. Math for people who can't get the right answer.

J/K... well, sorta anyway. Some things we can't get the "right answer."

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Glad you liked it. I learned a lot about electricity getting my degree in computer engineering. But about that video, the guy shows math in multiple dimensions keep in mind that we live in more than one dimension. It makes since that math would have to function in a way that supports. That's what I like about it.
edit on 15-12-2018 by Theocracy4America because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

I have always had a time reading other ppls cursive. I guess it deviates to much from the English letters shape I learned in elementary school. So I don't give ppl a hard time that have trouble reading that antiquated font type.

I mean what is this...

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

At least at UAH, Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering were the same division in engineering. So that makes sense; I had to learn a decent amount about computers during my tenure. With your background, this stuff should come fairly quickly for you.

Now if I can just get Android Java to come quickly for me... I HATE Object Oriented!

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Oh, God... statistics. Math for people who can't get the right answer.

J/K... well, sorta anyway. Some things we can't get the "right answer."

TheRedneck

More like math for people who know the answer is out there if you only try hard enough to beg the question.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Personally I use and love android, but apps are not the future. Something that existed before but Apple really got going in 2007, the web app. A website that functions as an application. Cross-platform, functional, abality to be a subscriber service. I see HTML5+ webapp as the future of programing. Javascript, CSS3, HTML5 in general will outpace Java, C#, Python and the like. Kind of sad though, as that takes control away from the users.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Going by what you've written, you seem to have mastered numeracy and arithmetic but not math.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Bottom line: TPB want the masses educated enough to perform but not educated enough to articulately question.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc
So I went to a Civil War re-enactment a couple of years ago in Channahon, Illinois. The guy dressed as Abraham Lincoln was doing a discussion and he asked a kid in the front row to read a letter that he pulled out of his jacket pocket. The kid looked at it and said:

"I can't read Cursive."

Congratulations Teachers - the next generation of children won't be able to READ any of the documents of the history of the United States. It will be a Foreign Language.

My child goes to public school, and they teach cursive there. If any schools seriously don't teach cursive, all you have to do as a parent is teach it to your children. It shouldn't be that hard.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
actually, if you go far enough back in time, like to my father's generation and before, their handwriting was oh, so much better. I doubt if sloppy handwriting would prevent anyone from understanding our forefather's writing.
as opposed to my own, which half the time I can't even read...
but, well, what is gonna kill us is when everything is computerized, and put into video/audio format and there's no reason to open any books and then they pull the plug!

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I'm starting to think the Amish have it right...

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

Dont worry they've all been transferred to text.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

True. Writing styles are in constant change. Even cursive went through some changes getting less and less cursive in form as time went on. We dont use old english lettering anymore unless its on an invitation.
I do not think this is a big deal.
Its not like children are not being taught how to read and write.
I learned cursive and shorthand in high school.
My kids learned keyboard....

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join