It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds no increase in violence in states that adopt more lenient concealed carry laws

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

The majority of gun deaths in the US are suicides

That says it all.

The major problem of deaths by firearm is the suicide rate.

Spur of the moment access to firearms by people who are suicidal feeds the gun suicide numbers.

The problem has almost nothing to do with protection from violence or gun assisted crimes.

Guns are barely protective at best and are in fact the primary engine of suicide.

posted on Dec, 9 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut
And yet according to the WHO, the majority of suicides globally are by self inflicted poison, with Europe being the highest suicide prone region.

Now, how would you like to spin that into somehow being the fault of firearms accessibility?

To be honest, I would rather someone go out instantly with a bullet than agonizingly painful and dragged out by poison.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I'm from Britain and this doesn't surprise me.
Anyone with a concealed carry permit is likely to be someone who followed a process to get it.
Not just some nut at a gunfair who paid a few hundred bucks and hid their gun in their coat.

It’s not just permitted carry but constitutional carry like here in Arkansas, we’ve not seen any increase in gun violence since implementing constitutional carry.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

That says it all.

Spur of the moment access to firearms by people who are suicidal feeds the gun suicide numbers.

The problem has almost nothing to do with protection from violence or gun assisted crimes.

Guns are barely protective at best and are in fact the primary engine of suicide.

Yeah no if you’re sufficiently motivated to off yourself you can get very creative look at how many people jump to their death off the Golden Gate Bridge and places like the suicide Forrest in Japan, speaking of which the Japanese are extremely creative in their suicidal tendandcys for example a popular method involves a rock some rope and a chair to suffocate themselves. It’s the same with firearms and murder imo if you’re motivated to kill you’re going to figure out a way.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

That says it all.

Yeah no if you’re sufficiently motivated to off yourself you can get very creative look at how many people jump to their death off the Golden Gate Bridge and places like the suicide Forrest in Japan, speaking of which the Japanese are extremely creative in their suicidal tendandcys for example a popular method involves a rock some rope and a chair to suffocate themselves. It’s the same with firearms and murder imo if you’re motivated to kill you’re going to figure out a way.

It is what it is:

Firearm Availability and Suicide - NCBI

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
And yet according to the WHO, the majority of suicides globally are by self inflicted poison, with Europe being the highest suicide prone region.

Now, how would you like to spin that into somehow being the fault of firearms accessibility?

To be honest, I would rather someone go out instantly with a bullet than agonizingly painful and dragged out by poison.

What about not committing suicide?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   

So you're sayin we should burn down the suicide forest in Asia?

Obviously if so many choose to commit suicide in that location, then your same standard applied would reduce their suicides by taking away the location to do it, correct?
edit on 12/10/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Lumenari

Now what?

Hmmm, I don’t know. Maybe hide in your basement from all of us big scary legitimate concealed carriers? You know, the ones that wouldn’t hurt a fly unless they, theirs, or other innocents are threatened with death or serious injury by those with criminal intent.

Then while you’re hiding, you can continue to push the false narrative how guns and legal gun owners are the problem, in lieu of the criminals and criminal actions, for injuries and deaths involving guns...even when proven otherwise.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

Now what?

Hmmm, I don’t know. Maybe hide in your basement from all of us big scary legitimate concealed carriers? You know, the ones that wouldn’t hurt a fly unless they, theirs, or other innocents are threatened with death or serious injury by those with criminal intent.

Then while you’re hiding, you can continue to push the false narrative how guns and legal gun owners are the problem, in lieu of the criminals and criminal actions, for injuries and deaths involving guns...even when proven otherwise.

People with big mouths and short tempers are also a problem with gun statistics, nothing like being able to pull a chunk of ego out of your pants and direct it at someone.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Now what?

People with big mouths and short tempers are also a problem with gun statistics, nothing like being able to pull a chunk of ego out of your pants and direct it at someone.

Yes, because that happens 100s of times a day? Month? Year? MSM is 100% anti 2A. If this was the problem you imply it is, incidents would be shown on local and national news daily. Think I’ve seen about 3 over the last year, usually centered around road rage (involving those big machines that kill way more people than guns - outside of war)...and again, it’s the criminal intent, not the tool used.

I am aware that some people will never get that. And I think you’ll find most folk with concealed carry licenses are the least ego centric people you’ll ever meet...but you would have to get out of your bubble.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

If this were true, the US would be #1 in the world in suicides. We're not.

"Barely protective" as in what? That there aren't thousands of DGUs every year? Even CDC admitted to such.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Now what?

This is one of my favorite things about the anti-gun folks. That don't realize that on any given day they likely are around multiple people who are carrying concealed and have no idea. Every day. And they've never seen anyone shot in their lives.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Great news, hardly a surprise though

They also like to lump in crims and gang bangers as part of those "Death counts"

Realistically, things like DUI/car accident/smoking/drinking kills orders of magnitude more people every year. I'll start being concerned with firearms as soon as all those other big ones are knocked out (including heart disease, cancer, lung disease, MVA, etc)

So few people are killed (not suicide and not crime related death) each year with firearms it is an absolute non issue. The leftist only cares about firearms because they are waging cultural warfare against the right

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

Great news, hardly a surprise though

Certainly wasn't a surprise to me, nor should it be to anyone who is decently informed on the issue.

They also like to lump in crims and gang bangers as part of those "Death counts"

Oh you mean like when Mayors Against Illegal Guns (funded by Michael Bloomberg) dishonestly included the Tsarnaev brother shot and killed by police as a 'victim of gun violence' to inflate the count?

Realistically, things like DUI/car accident/smoking/drinking kills orders of magnitude more people every year. I'll start being concerned with firearms as soon as all those other big ones are knocked out (including heart disease, cancer, lung disease, MVA, etc)

But, but... you can't fundraise and get cheap votes from gullible people by crusading against heart disease... Sure you can save more lives, but this isn't about saving lives. The top levels of the gun control movement are not about saving lives. People at the bottom of the movement are usually well-intentioned, just misled. The people at the top know what their endgame is though. Remember when one of the Parkland crusaders said if we give an inch they'll take a mile? You haven't heard her say that again. I suspect she was counseled by the more experienced anti-gun extremists to never reveal their true intentions to ban pretty much everything except for revolvers and muskets.
edit on 10 12 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'll just put this out there. A criminal is not going to take legal channels to get a permit to carry a gun to commit a crime. It's not hard to put a gun in your waistband and commit a crime.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Oh you mean like when Mayors Against Illegal Guns (funded by Michael Bloomberg) dishonestly included the Tsarnaev brother shot and killed by police as a 'victim of gun violence' to inflate the count?

They truly know no bounds. No low is too low for these "ends justify the means" bastards. Yes, I call them all bastards but my true feelings/thoughts would probably get me banned from ATS or possibly the entire Internet

Glad to see so many true Americans out here fighting for our unalienable rights. I sleep a little easier at night because of it

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
I'll just put this out there. A criminal is not going to take legal channels to get a permit to carry a gun to commit a crime. It's not hard to put a gun in your waistband and commit a crime.

Criminals don't follow the law... who'd'a thunk it?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

What about not committing suicide?

well, we could make a law against it .....you know, making it illegal.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The thing I see a lot of people ignoring is that this means more lax gun laws don't prevent gun violence either. A claim I've seen many pro-2nd people make.

So does mean that both sides can start looking at actual root causes?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Guns are barely protective at best

Based on all of your knowledge and experience in firearms...

How many fire fights have you been in to make this determination?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join