It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia School To Decide On Changing Name From Robert E. Lee To Loving Landmark Case

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

*laughs*

I guess you've never seen a post of mine where I am disgusted with the moronic spending of the government.

Oh well.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is pathetic. Rewritting history 101.
edit on 5-12-2018 by AtlasHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: AtlasHawk

Yeah. How dare they rename a school built in 1958 after a landmark court case.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Oh snap. I thought this was going to be about my high school: Robert E Lee HS.

Instead it's just about Washington-Lee which really doesn't say much...since there are many famous "Lee's."

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
idk tbh

I feel like I honestly dont gaf either way.

There was a jr high named that near where I lived, maybe it was a HS IDK.

I'm sure someone was upset lol

wahh wahh wahh.

All schools should be named

The Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Says the person revising history in a few lines. Who actually lost the Civil War again? Considering I live with a historian, I think you should go pick up a book.

It is well known that Lee also was on the forefront for the reintegration of the south and on the treatment of blacks. And not to mention the fact he even asked to not be honored in anyway for his deeds.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Oh snap. I thought this was going to be about my high school: Robert E Lee HS.

Instead it's just about Washington-Lee which really doesn't say much...since there are many famous "Lee's."

edit:

It was named after him, it was just in washington and they love hyphenated names up there.
edit on 5-12-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Pretty sure we have enough MLK schools and highways though.

Funny you say that. I bought a business on that street in a small town. Business sucked I changed it to the old street name US141 and the change was nearly overnight. All the MLK street signs were gone anyway.

Sold the business and the new owner thought it would help people with GPS's so he changed it back. Took less than a year to fold and most GPS's recognized either name.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: DBCowboy

You're butt-hurt because I brought up a valid point.

Do I care? Only so much as it is the subject for debate. What the #### do my "feels" have to do about it anyway?

Not butt hurt at all.
I just don't think you are genuine.

Why spend money on this when there are not enough books?
That's your angle...

Apply that to the feds.

You feel the same way?

Your comebacks are priceless and that's why we need to spend more on education and not on some name change.

😉

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: misterhistory

Says the person revising history in a few lines. Who actually lost the Civil War again? Considering I live with a historian, I think you should go pick up a book.

It is well known that Lee also was on the forefront for the reintegration of the south and on the treatment of blacks. And not to mention the fact he even asked to not be honored in anyway for his deeds.

I was raised by a CPA and Sales President, that doesn't mean I know more about it than the next guy.

If you live with a historian, you need to go pick up a book written prior to the 1990's. One that was written before people cared about some internet peon's feelings. Go read a World Book Encyclopedia from the 80's, that will tell you a lot about what you don't know but think you do. I bet you think the soldiers all fought to preserve slavery, too.

But anyways, congrats to the federal Army, they outnumbered a bunch of farm boys by 1,200,000, at the very least, and still lost twice as many lives which would have continued if the Confederates hadn't run out of ammunition.

Also, it's not called the War of Northern Aggression because of the South starting it. Really, man, read a real book.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

How does this work for you?

www.amazon.com...=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544048280&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=battle+ cry+for+freedom&dpPl=1&dpID=61CmmXSXOmL&ref=plSrch

The actual articles of secession
edit on 5-12-2018 by misterhistory because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Can someone show me on the doll where the name of the school hurt them?

does your stock comment mean you dont think they should change it

As someone from the North, I don't think they should change it. They have the right to try to erase their history if they like.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Can someone show me on the doll where the name of the school hurt them?

does your stock comment mean you dont think they should change it

As someone from the North, I don't think they should change it. They have the right to try to erase their history if they like.

why do people think change = erase?

i dont see it that way
times change
everything changes

the history is there

its in the books
we have the internet

the history is not erased

the present is changed

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Because that is what they are doing. Destroying statues, monuments, changing school names.

There is no problem with saying hey this is an important thing, and while we have respect for it it's time to move to something more current .. and then there is screaming it's horrible and destroying it. Since they do not have a specific name in mind they settled on, it's about getting rid of the old name.
edit on 5-12-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
lol.... my first thought was god, I hope it isn't the school here!!! we don't need a charlottesville event in my neck of the woods thank you!!
but, it's not here, so, well, let that city, that school board run things the way they want to. I am sure that if their constituents don't like how they run things, they will not hold office that long.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   
so apparently there is a rule somewhere that says once a statue goes up it must never come down or one a place has a name it shall never be changed?

interesting

posted on Jan, 12 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I dont care really atv all.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join